• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Successful at final interview but positions all taken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dano28

Hi everyone!

Just heard back from FCC today that I was successful following my final interview (Driver Managers) but that all the positions are now taken and I am on the waiting list...gutted!!

It mentions that my application will be kept on file for their next intake... Is this a "how long is a piece of string" scenario? Or does anybody know of any up coming intakes? Or anybody been in a similar position?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
Sorry to hear that but not completely surprised with first group. I know they need over 150 drivers over the next few years to cover training if new stock/roads/ato/gsm etc as well as replacing the dinosaurs who will no doubt throw in the towel rather than go through all the training and so they may well come back to you.

Part of me expects that they won't bother filling the vacancies though as the dft will be happy that they have launched a recruitment campaign regardless as to if they took anyone on.

FSR

Wow that really sucks! I had my interview last Thursday for Bedford depot but am still waiting to hear. I will not hold my breath now.

Which depot did you apply for out of interest and how did they get in touch?

Hope they find you a place...

FSR

Dano28

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Had my interview on Monday and received an email today telling me i had been successful but all the positions were full...so happiness lasted about 30 seconds!

Confused as to whether I am on hold until the next recruitment drive, next training course becomes available or as and when vacancies arise...

It does say to rest assured they will contact me as soon additional dates for intakes are confirmed.

So all I can do is be pleased I passed everything and keep my fingers crossed now!!

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Karmakanik

I'm same as you mate, had interview last Thursday and got the email yesterday morning saying well done but no cigar just yet!

On the upside, it does state we/I WILL be offered a conditional offer of employment next time they recruit so, as long as that's within the next 3 years, we should be alright.:D

Just have to keep doing the day job 'till then.......

455driver

Veteran Member
Cor some people are SO defeatist, this is railway recruitment/ HR you are dealing with, glaciers move faster than HR.

I costs TOCs loads of money to put people through the tests/ interviews and do you honestly think they would waste time and money passing more than they need knowing you can take that pass to any other TOC.

Just hang in there, ring them up every month or so (just so you dont get forgotten ;)) and wait for the letter, FCC are recruiting LOTS of drivers this year and next so its just a question of when not if you get your start date.

W230

Established Member
Hi Dano/Karmakanik. I got exactly the same email back in March. A week later they sent me a conditional job offer (I start with FCC in August). I think that the email you received is a standard automated response when you've been successful at that stage.

I was also gutted when I saw it thinking that after the whole drawn out process I might never get a job but a week later it was all good. I'm sure a post will come up - they said that they need loads of drivers anyway! :)

It's just annoying that I got to wait to August to start but hey ho!

Karmakanik

To be honest, I don't mind waiting a bit. I'm in a fairly well paid job that I enjoy and I could do with a few months to put a bit of cash aside for the training period.
The driver manager at my interview did say that it would probably be December before the next training induction so I was half expecting a delay.

Dano28

Makes things a bit easier hearing from somebody in the same boat. Suppose thinking of your everyday job interview if you're told you have the job, the when can you start is up to your notice period...guess I was going in with that mind set!

Still may not have to cancel holiday we have booked now, so could be two good things come out of the wait, a holiday and a job!

mkwhite

Hi everyone!

Just heard back from FCC today that I was successful following my final interview (Driver Managers) but that all the positions are now taken and I am on the waiting list...gutted!!

It mentions that my application will be kept on file for their next intake... Is this a "how long is a piece of string" scenario? Or does anybody know of any up coming intakes? Or anybody been in a similar position?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

I too have had 'that' email,also applied for Bedford depot. I am also wondering if it is an 'If' or 'when'.

nattcharles

Cor some people are SO defeatist, this is railway recruitment/ HR you are dealing with, glaciers move faster than HR.

I costs TOCs loads of money to put people through the tests/ interviews and do you honestly think they would waste time and money passing more than they need knowing you can take that pass to any other TOC.

Just hang in there, ring them up every month or so (just so you dont get forgotten ;)) and wait for the letter, FCC are recruiting LOTS of drivers this year and next so its just a question of when not if you get your start date.

My thoughts exactly. Just chill and be a little more patient.
I too had the same email from FCC but know the next driver training programme does not start until September. So pleanty of time to receive a job offer. Failing that offers may still be made over the coming months as they are taking on a lot of drivers.

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
Still may not have to cancel holiday we have booked now, so could be two good things come out of the wait, a holiday and a job!
Exactly! I thought i'd have been starting sooner but asd a result i've not had to cancel either holiday i've booked this summer which is a bonus. Just means that i've got to work in my existing job a little longer. it'll be worth the wait though!

letmedrive

Hello everyone, just found this forum and read this with a mixture of reassurance and despair ! There must be quite a few of us in the same boat, hope its big enough.

I passed interview for depot driver at Bedford in Jan and got the same notification as everyone else in early Feb. I'm still waiting.

Also have application outstanding for the mainline job but have already obviously passed the tests but still no progress on that.

Like everyone else I really want to start and although I'm sure I will its still frustrating.

letmedrive

Yes the mainline with Feb deadline. Not sure weather my mainline app makes any difference to the depot driver position. I'd be happy to withdraw the mainline app to get an earlier start for depot driver.

Difficult to know what to do, think I might ring HR in the next few days, any thoughts?

mkwhite

Yes the mainline with Feb deadline. Not sure weather my mainline app makes any difference to the depot driver position. I'd be happy to withdraw the mainline app to get an earlier start for depot driver.

Difficult to know what to do, think I might ring HR in the next few days, any thoughts?

How far have you got with the mainline application?

letmedrive

Mainline application status still says awaiting test verification. I believe I should go straight to final interview stage for this as tests already done.

Status
Not open for further replies.