• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Successful Interview for Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ123

Passed my interview for the Conductor role for GWR at Exeter St David's really excited to start and currently on hold for training dates , is anybody else waiting for this ? Or have any particular idea on how long the wait could be for available dates ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paulwestwood

Passed my interview for the Conductor role for GWR at Exeter St David's really excited to start and currently on hold for training dates , is anybody else waiting for this ? Or have any particular idea on how long the wait could be for available dates ?

Well Done, it shouldn't be to long, we had a constant throughput just lately as people have been moving on to different roles and are also awaiting their start dates for Driver Training. Also you will find that you may be waiting for what seems like an eternity, but then all of a sudden you get notification and everything will seem to be one big rush. Hopefully with regard to courses you will be on one which is a small group as you will find during training it will give you chance to get more hands on practical experience. Enjoy the training.

Lmc1976

I’m also in the same position after interview earlier this month and can not wait to get started aswell.

Got a friend who already works for them who says that they are keen to get people in because of upcoming timetable changes, but also have something called harmonisation (long story) ongoing which may stall it slightly.

He suspects as paulwestwood mentioned above nothing will happen for a bit then everything will happen at once!

Lmc1976

And one other thing, since the phonecall from the interviewing manager over 3 weeks ago I’ve had no other correspondence at all.

It may have been in my excitement I misheard him but I’m sure he said I would receive an email confirmation from HR shortly that I had been successful but so far not a thing.

Have you heard anything at all?

PJ123

And one other thing, since the phonecall from the interviewing manager over 3 weeks ago I’ve had no other correspondence at all.

It may have been in my excitement I misheard him but I’m sure he said I would receive an email confirmation from HR shortly that I had been successful but so far not a thing.

Hello ,

Thanks to both of you, that has put my mind at rest! And congratulations on securing your position as well. I actually called back the person who called me originally to state that I had been successful, they confirmed it was totally normal to not have an email or confirmation until the training dates where available and as soon as they knew any further they will contact us , so that falls in line with what you guys have said. Just excited to get started and start learning the same as you I expect !!

Lmc1976

Hello ,

Thanks to both of you, that has put my mind at rest! And congratulations on securing your position as well. I actually called back the person who called me originally to state that I had been successful, they confirmed it was totally normal to not have an email or confirmation until the training dates where available and as soon as they knew any further they will contact us , so that falls in line with what you guys have said. Just excited to get started and start learning the same as you I expect !!

What day/time did you have your assessment and interview? Just wondering if we were in the same group. And if you hear any news from GWR before I do please post on here!

PJ123

It was the 4th of July , yeah ofcourse I will ! Likewise if you hear anything please let me know.

Samrobson

Hi me too !
I was interviewed on 3rd July and phoned on 5 th Had email 10th then nothing since, nothing about the medical or security check either.
Well they say patience is a virtue but I’m champing at the bit to put in my notice and get a start date !

Lmc1976

Hi me too !
I was interviewed on 3rd July and phoned on 5 th Had email 10th then nothing since, nothing about the medical or security check either.
Well they say patience is a virtue but I’m champing at the bit to put in my notice and get a start date !

Can I ask what your email on the 10th said please? I had the same phonecall on the 5th but not a single thing since.

PJ123

Anybody heard anything yet? The wait is killing me!!
I actually received an email today providing me a Conditional offer pending medical etc , no date given for medical but advised they would be in contact , however a few mins later I was advised the email went out in error , so I'm guessing they are in the process of sorting it out for us ! So fingers crossed we are really close !

Lmc1976

Really? Bet you were gutted!! As you say though hopefully signs that things are moving.

PJ123

Really? Bet you were gutted!! As you say though hopefully signs that things are moving.
Yeah I was very excited at first ! I can only imagine they are sorting it out as quickly as they can though for everybody. It's going to be worth the wait once we find out when our training starts.

Nicbetyy

Heya ,
Are you currently sitting in the talent pool ? I got call Monday to say I’m successful but could be a wait ...

PJ123

Heya ,
Are you currently sitting in the talent pool ? I got call Monday to say I’m successful but could be a wait ...
Hello ,

Yeah we are both in the talent pool for St David's, congratulations on the call !!

Joel466

Can anyone give any light on how long they waited to get a call for an interview? I went to Swindon on august 1st to sit the assessment centre for the same position in Reading, thankfully passed that but have heard nothing since! Just so I can get some idea of time!
Thanks!!

Nicbetyy

Can anyone give any light on how long they waited to get a call for an interview? I went to Swindon on august 1st to sit the assessment centre for the same position in Reading, thankfully passed that but have heard nothing since! Just so I can get some idea of time!
Thanks!!
3 days for me

Lmc1976

I think it’s fair to say it could be 3 days, 3 months or you may not get called forward at all for the 2nd assessment. If you look deep enough in this forum you will find countless stories of incredibly short and/or long waiting times for progression! Either way they will email eventually with an outcome.

Having said that I don’t think it hurts after a period of time to fire HR a quick email asking for a progress update.

TM Hopeful

I think it’s easy to assume that if you pass the first assessment that you will automatically progress to the second assessment centre/interview, but if you think about it you may have the scenario where EVERYBODY passes the first assessment centre, in which case the numbers have to be whittled down for the final assessment. However, also don’t assume that if others from your first assessment have already been given a second assessment date that it’s the end of the road for you, as you may get called at a later date still, it’s not an exact science really!

Samrobson

Can I ask what your email on the 10th said please? I had the same phonecall on the 5th but not a single thing since.
Confirmation of conditional job offer ....
I text the manager who rang me he explained why the wait.... still frustrating though !

Samrobson

Anybody heard anything yet? The wait is killing me!!
Nothing ! I feel your pain ! I’m still in my other job and it’s horrible going through the motions when you know you’re going to leave and having to pretend you’re still interested, really can’t wait to be able to hand my notice in

PJ123

Confirmation of conditional job offer ....
I text the manager who rang me he explained why the wait.... still frustrating though !
Just out of curiosity what was the reason the manager gave ?

Thank you

Samrobson

Waiting for sign off of the new positions from top management- some existing conductors moving up to drivers etc and some new positions plus the harmonising g of contracts between conductors and train managers is “under review and negotiation “
The depot managers are as frustrated as we are as applicants- so my ‘mole’ has told me

Lmc1976

Anyone heard anything at all yet? It’s been a very long 4 months since the interview!

PJ123

Not heard anything yet ! I know the harmionsation is still under way , hopefully it gets cleared up sooner rather than later but I can imagine we will be waiting until the new year before we hear anything about training

TM Hopeful

The harmonisation still hasn’t been sorted but in the meantime contracts are still being issued on current terms, I signed mine for Paddington TM this week (start December) I guess this could also vary by depot though that some depots may have decided to wait for the harmonisation to be sorted, but I think with the timetable change that’s unlikely, if they need TMs/conductors to cover the changes, given the length of training periods, you would assume that they would be ploughing on and getting people trained up.

PJ123

From everything I have heard it only seems to be Train Managers getting contracts. Looks as though any conductors starting are having to wait ( seems to be true for the depot I have applied for in any case ) be good to hear from you in december to get an idea how the training is coming along for you !

TM Hopeful

From everything I have heard it only seems to be Train Managers getting contracts. Looks as though any conductors starting are having to wait ( seems to be true for the depot I have applied for in any case ) be good to hear from you in december to get an idea how the training is coming along for you !

I guess that makes sense! Yes I will keep you updated on here, as a lot of the training will be common to both TMs and conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.