• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sudbury Town Branch 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Hi all,

Back in 1997 I did the line between Marks Tey and Sudbury to watch a couple games in the FA Vase.

What stock was used on the line? I recollections of slam door first Gen DMUs.

Also where would they have been allocated from ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1997 was the first year of the Anglia Railways franchise.. AR never had any slam door stock on lease, so the branch was operated by 150's or 153's. However if there was a shortage of stock there was a period around then when a Silverlink 121 was hired in for the branch.

03_179

Established Member
Hi,

Thanks. It was slam door stock as Mike Amos the Northern Echo sports reporter was on the train with me both times.

He didn't shut the door properly the first time. The second trip Mike told me he'd shut the door while laughing around a sandwich.

So Silver link 121s :)
Thanks

03_179

Established Member

Do we know what units actually covered?
55029 is in the photo.

Also I am guessing only one unit would be allocated per day to the branch.

OMG What a stroke of luck.

I loaded up my very old haulage log and I have come across the two units. I thought I had lost them

Thanks to everyone that helps.

RichA

I travelled on the branch in July 1998 and this was working it then, not sure how long they worked for but the destination blind is local and the Silverlink branding has Great Eastern stickers over it.
Sudbury 11th July 1998.jpg

03_179

Established Member
Great photo. Brings back the memories.

If I remember rightly were the 86s or the 90s working between Marks Tey and Liverpool Street ?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Immediately thought of this video recorded at Marks Tey (dated March 1998 & from the 'Darren' YT channel) when I saw the thread title, took a bit of tracking down though! L131 is the unit featured, complete with First Great Eastern stickers over it's Silverlink branding as per @RichA's photo above. The video is rounded out by a few clips of non-stop workings on the GEML side of the station (Freightliner 86 running light and a few 317s & 321s).

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The Silverlink bubbles when hired in were maintained in the shed at Colchester, I can’t remember whether it was 2 or 3 units hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.