• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggested Birmingham Snow Hill Lines/ex GWR lines post-HS2 timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Following on from the Chiltern route post-HS2 timetable I posted recently, I have had a go at doing one for the local services at the Birmingham end.

My post-HS2 suggestion is:

London Marylebone trains to run to and from Snow Hill (reinstatement of Platform 4 required at Snow Hill) at an even 30 minute frequency instead of the present uneven 20/40 split
Southampton/Reading - Newcastle ICXC to run via Coventry
The present day bi hourly Leamington Spa - Snow Hill to be incorporated into an extension of a Dorridge train (how it was back in the days of Regional Railways Central/Central Trains) as per Warwickshire County Council's plan
Leamington Spa - Stratford upon Avon increased to every 60 minutes and future extension to Honeybourne (as per Warwickshire County Council's plan)
Stourbridge Junction starters/terminators extended to/from Kidderminster to allow future Midland Metro extension to Stourbridge.

Local services via Shirley increased to a broadly 15 minute frequency (2tph to Stratford upon Avon, with 1tph omitting the request stops and Earlswood. Warwickshire CC have plans for Henley in Arden to be a transport hub for the surrounding hamlets/villages. the other 2 mph revise to terminate at Wythall)

Local services via Solihull increased to a broadly 15 minute frequency (2tph terminating Dorridge, 1tph to Stratford upon Avon (future extension to Honeybourne), 1tph to Leamington Spa. Both the Leamington Spa and Stratford/Honeybourne to run to and from Walsall via Snow Hill and a connecting curve at Benson Road.

Total trains per hour along common sections post HS2:

Leamington Spa - Birmingham Snow Hill 3tph, Snow Hill - Dorridge 6tph, Leamington Spa - Hatton (2 not calling) 4tph
Stratford upon Avon - Jewellery Quarter 3tph (1 via Solihull, 2 via Shirley)
Wythall - Snow Hill 4tph
Moor Street - Snow Hill 10tph
Moor Street - Jewellery Quarter 8tph

Infrastructure requirements

New crossover and reconnection of the disconnected track (see Google satellite image) near Princes Drive for terminating trains from the Warwick direction to use Platform 1 at Leamington Spa, and would not interact with the Cross-country Intercity trains to and from Coventry.

Reinstatement of Platform 4 at Snow Hill. This would allow both the London Marylebone trains to run to Snow Hill, vacating the ex GWR bay platforms at Moor Street to be dedicated to the trains that would use the Camp Hill curves (hence formal closure of Bordesley station)

Benson Road Curve to connect the Snow Hill route to the former LNWR line above. This would involve realignment of the Midland Metro to run on street.

Reinstatement of Rainbow Hill Junction at Worcester, which is planned to be resignalled. This would save trains being held at either Tunnel Junction on the approach to Foregate Street, or on the opposite side of the Severn at Henwick while a train is already in the Droitwich bound platform.

Redouble the section (except the tunnels) between Malvern Wells and Shelwick Junction. This would provide a robust timetable, and any delays at Shrewsbury/broken down trains are not going to impact adversely on the Worcester services (a Birmingham train was held at Shelwick for 22 minutes on 12 February as it could not take the diverging route as a delayed train had already departed Ledbury).

Although partially outwith the scope of this particular thread, redouble Norton Junction - Evesham (with a recess siding if possible at Worcestershire Parkway, or better a Worcester facing bay platform) and Charlbury - Wolvercote Junction. Again, this would help with timetable robustness by eliminating as many single track sections as possible particularly as it involves London trains.

Stratford upon Avon - Honeybourne reopening as per Option 2A in the report I have also attached. Double track Honeybourne - Milcote Road Junction, with provision to double to Stratford Racecourse if London Paddington trains are introduced (future extension of Moreton In Marsh, which in turn is extended from Oxford in the opposite half hour to the Worcester/Malvern/Hereford train). Racecourse to Stratford upon Avon will remain as single track due to the space constraints. Also, reopened station at Long Marston.

New crossover required at Wythall. As there are absolute block sections (according to the Sectional Appendix) between Whitlocks End and Stratford upon Avon (also Bearley Juction - Hatton West), this could be done when the signalling is due to be renewed/replaced (also in conjunction with the Honeybourne reopening?).

Designing the post-HS2 timetable

My start point was by using the London Marylebone trains from the Chiltern thread that I did, the existing timings of the London Paddington - Oxford and Cotswolds trains on the Paddington - Oxford section (as I do not expect those to be radically altered bar an Old Oak Common call), and the existing Bournemouth - Manchester Cross-country at Leamington Spa.

I did try at first using the existing 20 minute frequency for the local trains, but as I have the Marylebone trains at 30 minute intervals, this did not work. This was where I had a break for a few days and while reading the plans for the Benson Road curve, that was when I had the idea to increase the local trains to a broadly 15 minute frequency for both the Solihull and Shirley arms as the Newcastle - Reading/Southampton train is rerouted via Coventry (still the same number of trains along the Tyseley - Leamington Spa section - no net increase or decrease) which I got to work/fit.

Ideally, I would have liked some quad track between Tyseley and Dorridge/Lapworth (used to be quad), but looking at the satellite view on Google Maps, the car parks at both Acocks Green and Widney Manor use part of the former platforms, and there is nowhere nearby to relocate them to. Although it may be just (or not at all) possible to deck the car parks, I am not sure if the residents of Widney Manor would be keen on that, basing this on a letter to the local rag Birmingham Mail back in 1991/2 that a group of residents in neighbouring Monkspath had campaigned, requested, and succeeded in getting West Midlands Travel to use single deckers on the 4 bus route as passengers on double decks can see into their upstairs rooms (not realising passengers on the lower deck or single decks can see into the ground floor rooms).

I have tried extending the present day Worcester Shrub Hill terminator to Evesham as it normally has a 40 minute layover there. The timings do not work out as it would mean a 50 minute layover at Evesham, with Honeybourne being 40 minutes. Moreton-in-Marsh would only just about work and I feel would be too far anyway. The timings work if extended to Pershore (crossover required), and with an extension to Worcestershire Parkway, the layover is reduced to 30 minutes or so (hence a recess siding or better still, a bay platform). I also tried extending to Ashchurch for Tewkesbury (there is space on the Gloucester side of the line) and again, I was left with a 40 minute or so layover there.

I have increased the frequency at Small Heath and Tyseley to how it was in the 1990s, where there were 2tph to and from each of the Solihull and Shirley arms (present day is every 60 minutes to each), with the Stratford and Leamington trains omitting them. The limited stop Stratford via Shirley I have got the timings from Table 71 of the National Rail Timetable PDF as those are not running during the pandemic, which will run through the day so as to provide Henley in Arden a second train per hour as per Warwickshire CC's plans to make Henley a transport hub and reduced journey times to Birmingham (see page 41).

Hatton West Junction - Bearley Junction is single track, and it is pure luck that the timings I have happen to fit this section of line. I have the Leamington - Stratford shuttle (extended in the future to Honeybourne) passing each other in opposite directions at Wilmcote. Although the timings work for this section, any additional increase in frequency may pose problems, therefore there is no rush to redouble this section even though if redoubled, the only single track section would be between Stratford upon Avon and the Racecourse due to the narrow space for that very short section.

Apologies for the rather lengthy opening post - I was describing the results and the infrastructure requirements that would be required. I have attached the file plus the Warwickshire CC's report (see page 41) if anybody has not seen them. The Honeybourne - Stratford file is too large to be uploaded.

Attachments

• BSW Taktplan.xlsx
    32.3 KB · Views: 11
  • WRIS DRAFT for consultation 2019-34 FINAL.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joshua483

On Moderation
Following on from the Chiltern route post-HS2 timetable I posted recently, I have had a go at doing one for the local services at the Birmingham end.

My post-HS2 suggestion is:

London Marylebone trains to run to and from Snow Hill (reinstatement of Platform 4 required at Snow Hill) at an even 30 minute frequency instead of the present uneven 20/40 split
Southampton/Reading - Newcastle ICXC to run via Coventry
The present day bi hourly Leamington Spa - Snow Hill to be incorporated into an extension of a Dorridge train (how it was back in the days of Regional Railways Central/Central Trains) as per Warwickshire County Council's plan
Leamington Spa - Stratford upon Avon increased to every 60 minutes and future extension to Honeybourne (as per Warwickshire County Council's plan)
Stourbridge Junction starters/terminators extended to/from Kidderminster to allow future Midland Metro extension to Stourbridge.

Local services via Shirley increased to a broadly 15 minute frequency (2tph to Stratford upon Avon, with 1tph omitting the request stops and Earlswood. Warwickshire CC have plans for Henley in Arden to be a transport hub for the surrounding hamlets/villages. the other 2 mph revise to terminate at Wythall)

Local services via Solihull increased to a broadly 15 minute frequency (2tph terminating Dorridge, 1tph to Stratford upon Avon (future extension to Honeybourne), 1tph to Leamington Spa. Both the Leamington Spa and Stratford/Honeybourne to run to and from Walsall via Snow Hill and a connecting curve at Benson Road.

Total trains per hour along common sections post HS2:

Leamington Spa - Birmingham Snow Hill 3tph, Snow Hill - Dorridge 6tph, Leamington Spa - Hatton (2 not calling) 4tph
Stratford upon Avon - Jewellery Quarter 3tph (1 via Solihull, 2 via Shirley)
Wythall - Snow Hill 4tph
Moor Street - Snow Hill 10tph
Moor Street - Jewellery Quarter 8tph

Infrastructure requirements

New crossover and reconnection of the disconnected track (see Google satellite image) near Princes Drive for terminating trains from the Warwick direction to use Platform 1 at Leamington Spa, and would not interact with the Cross-country Intercity trains to and from Coventry.

Reinstatement of Platform 4 at Snow Hill. This would allow both the London Marylebone trains to run to Snow Hill, vacating the ex GWR bay platforms at Moor Street to be dedicated to the trains that would use the Camp Hill curves (hence formal closure of Bordesley station)

Benson Road Curve to connect the Snow Hill route to the former LNWR line above. This would involve realignment of the Midland Metro to run on street.

Reinstatement of Rainbow Hill Junction at Worcester, which is planned to be resignalled. This would save trains being held at either Tunnel Junction on the approach to Foregate Street, or on the opposite side of the Severn at Henwick while a train is already in the Droitwich bound platform.

Redouble the section (except the tunnels) between Malvern Wells and Shelwick Junction. This would provide a robust timetable, and any delays at Shrewsbury/broken down trains are not going to impact adversely on the Worcester services (a Birmingham train was held at Shelwick for 22 minutes on 12 February as it could not take the diverging route as a delayed train had already departed Ledbury).

Although partially outwith the scope of this particular thread, redouble Norton Junction - Evesham (with a recess siding if possible at Worcestershire Parkway, or better a Worcester facing bay platform) and Charlbury - Wolvercote Junction. Again, this would help with timetable robustness by eliminating as many single track sections as possible particularly as it involves London trains.

Stratford upon Avon - Honeybourne reopening as per Option 2A in the report I have also attached. Double track Honeybourne - Milcote Road Junction, with provision to double to Stratford Racecourse if London Paddington trains are introduced (future extension of Moreton In Marsh, which in turn is extended from Oxford in the opposite half hour to the Worcester/Malvern/Hereford train). Racecourse to Stratford upon Avon will remain as single track due to the space constraints. Also, reopened station at Long Marston.

New crossover required at Wythall. As there are absolute block sections (according to the Sectional Appendix) between Whitlocks End and Stratford upon Avon (also Bearley Juction - Hatton West), this could be done when the signalling is due to be renewed/replaced (also in conjunction with the Honeybourne reopening?).

Designing the post-HS2 timetable

My start point was by using the London Marylebone trains from the Chiltern thread that I did, the existing timings of the London Paddington - Oxford and Cotswolds trains on the Paddington - Oxford section (as I do not expect those to be radically altered bar an Old Oak Common call), and the existing Bournemouth - Manchester Cross-country at Leamington Spa.

I did try at first using the existing 20 minute frequency for the local trains, but as I have the Marylebone trains at 30 minute intervals, this did not work. This was where I had a break for a few days and while reading the plans for the Benson Road curve, that was when I had the idea to increase the local trains to a broadly 15 minute frequency for both the Solihull and Shirley arms as the Newcastle - Reading/Southampton train is rerouted via Coventry (still the same number of trains along the Tyseley - Leamington Spa section - no net increase or decrease) which I got to work/fit.

Ideally, I would have liked some quad track between Tyseley and Dorridge/Lapworth (used to be quad), but looking at the satellite view on Google Maps, the car parks at both Acocks Green and Widney Manor use part of the former platforms, and there is nowhere nearby to relocate them to. Although it may be just (or not at all) possible to deck the car parks, I am not sure if the residents of Widney Manor would be keen on that, basing this on a letter to the local rag Birmingham Mail back in 1991/2 that a group of residents in neighbouring Monkspath had campaigned, requested, and succeeded in getting West Midlands Travel to use single deckers on the 4 bus route as passengers on double decks can see into their upstairs rooms (not realising passengers on the lower deck or single decks can see into the ground floor rooms).

I have tried extending the present day Worcester Shrub Hill terminator to Evesham as it normally has a 40 minute layover there. The timings do not work out as it would mean a 50 minute layover at Evesham, with Honeybourne being 40 minutes. Moreton-in-Marsh would only just about work and I feel would be too far anyway. The timings work if extended to Pershore (crossover required), and with an extension to Worcestershire Parkway, the layover is reduced to 30 minutes or so (hence a recess siding or better still, a bay platform). I also tried extending to Ashchurch for Tewkesbury (there is space on the Gloucester side of the line) and again, I was left with a 40 minute or so layover there.

I have increased the frequency at Small Heath and Tyseley to how it was in the 1990s, where there were 2tph to and from each of the Solihull and Shirley arms (present day is every 60 minutes to each), with the Stratford and Leamington trains omitting them. The limited stop Stratford via Shirley I have got the timings from Table 71 of the National Rail Timetable PDF as those are not running during the pandemic, which will run through the day so as to provide Henley in Arden a second train per hour as per Warwickshire CC's plans to make Henley a transport hub and reduced journey times to Birmingham (see page 41).

Hatton West Junction - Bearley Junction is single track, and it is pure luck that the timings I have happen to fit this section of line. I have the Leamington - Stratford shuttle (extended in the future to Honeybourne) passing each other in opposite directions at Wilmcote. Although the timings work for this section, any additional increase in frequency may pose problems, therefore there is no rush to redouble this section even though if redoubled, the only single track section would be between Stratford upon Avon and the Racecourse due to the narrow space for that very short section.

Apologies for the rather lengthy opening post - I was describing the results and the infrastructure requirements that would be required. I have attached the file plus the Warwickshire CC's report (see page 41) if anybody has not seen them. The Honeybourne - Stratford file is too large to be uploaded.
Would the lines be 25kv ac OLE or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.