• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggestion: Clockface timetable for Forth Valley (Grangemouth/Stirling-Dunfermline) and Levenmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I have had a go at creating a Taktplan (clock face departures) for the Grangemouth branch, Stirling - Dunfermline, and the Levenmouth branch.

My starting point after measuring the mileages of the various sections on Google Maps was by projecting forwards the present Glasgow Queen Street - Alloa trains to Dunfermline Queen Margaret (useful place for a depot as there are large sidings there), and likewise in the opposite direction. I then decided to continue those trains to Methil, based on the assumption that the missing track is reinstated beyond Leven. Furthermore, I have opted for a simple Stirling - Grangemouth shuttle, which connects into and out of both the extended Alloa - Methil and the existing Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh via Cumbernauld trains therefore providing a dual use in one fell swoop.

I have identified where double track is required based upon the projection of the trains beyond Alloa. As can be seen in the attached spreadsheet, I have highlighted these in a yellow background with red text. Double track at the very minimum would be required between Alloa and Clackmannan, Cairneyhill (dynamic passing loop extending beyond the station at both sides), and between Leven and Methil. I am unsure if those sections were ever double track or not.

A thought that came into my mind afterwards was I was unsure whether to stop the Alloa extensions at Dunfermline Queen Margaret, combined with extending the present Edinburgh - Cowdenbeath via Dunfermline trains to Leven/Methil and switching the present Edinburgh - Glenrothes via Kirkcaldy (the one that does not return via Dunfermline but goes back via Kirkcaldy) to Leven/Methil, which would give direct trains to Edinburgh every 30 minutes combined frequency with one each alternating via Dunfermline or Kirkcaldy. This would still connect Methil/Leven with both the county town of Fife (Glenrothes with Thornton) and Scotland's historic capital Dunfermline.

When compiling the suggested timetable, I have based the average speed on one mile a minute between the locations that I measured on Google Maps, all rounded to the nearest quarter mile where no passenger services run at present. Furthermore, I have based this on the assumption that the routes would have for the most part overhead wires, and if bimodes were to feature in Fife, there could be a specially dedicated fleet based at Dunfermline Queen Margaret as there seems to be space there.

If anybody feels like having a go at an alternative version, I am happy for others to borrow the spreadsheet that is attached.

Attachments

• Forth Valley and Levenmouth Taktplan.xlsx
    8.5 KB · Views: 57
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Couple of thoughts (assuming the business case for reopening can be made!):
1. 60mph start-to-stop times over short distances are optimistic - I would go with comparable times on existing electric services).
2. Double track into Methil with a 25min turnround is an unnecessary luxury - I would timetable on the basis of trains crossing around Thornton. This probably adds more to the timetable than is needed by (1) but might also allow some adjustment at the Alloa end.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Couple of thoughts (assuming the business case for reopening can be made!):
1. 60mph start-to-stop times over short distances are optimistic - I would go with comparable times on existing electric services).
2. Double track into Methil with a 25min turnround is an unnecessary luxury - I would timetable on the basis of trains crossing around Thornton. This probably adds more to the timetable than is needed by (1) but might also allow some adjustment at the Alloa end.

Having found the Sectional Appendices for Scotland, the Alloa - Dunfermline section is mostly 30-35mph, and the Leven/Methil is 20mph. I am unsure if the linespeed for both sections can be increased to 45/60 (Alloa - Dunfermline) and 30 (for Leven). There is (or was) double track from Leven to Methil according to the SA, but I feel that it would be in the wrong place anyway.

I have revised the timings and have broadly based it on the Coventry - Nuneaton trains as that is a low speed line that had passenger services reinstated back in 1987 (and intermediate stations reopened or opened piecemeal in subsequent years), with the timing load being Class 172 100mph. With these revised timings, the trains can pass each other at the existing Alloa Loop, and Culross (loop required) between Alloa and Dunfermline. There would also be a loop required at Cameron Bridge on the Leven/Methil, as for an even 30 minute frequency, the timings would not work between Thornton West and Cardenden due to single track between Glenrothes with Thornton and Thornton North Junction (unsure if it was ever double).

It is noted that I have revised the Alloa trains to now be curtailed at Dunfermline Queen Margaret, with the Leven/Methil arm served by the Edinburgh trains that run via Dunfermline retaining the similar times to and from Edinburgh. Although I have broken the loop trains so as that they no longer run, there are still the trains that will terminate at Glenrothes that run via Kirkcaldy. This can be seen in the revised spreadsheet that is attached.

Attachments

• Forth Valley and Levenmouth Taktplan v2.xlsx
    8.7 KB · Views: 15

Bevan Price

Established Member
Speed limits were often reduced to 30, 20 mph, or sometimes less after lines were closed to passengers but remained open to freight. I think that was usually to reduce maintenance costs, but higher limits can be reintroduced after upgrading / relaying the track to make it fit for passenger services.

waverley47

I have a suspicion that the service plan will end up as either 2 or 3 tph.

1tph in each direction continues to do the full circle, and maintains links between Kirkcaldy and Cardenden.

1tph extended from Cowdenbeath to terminate at Glenrothes; giving 2tph between Cowdenbeath and Glenrothes, and 1tph from Glenrothes to Levenmouth

The Glenrothes terminator from Kirkcaldy extends to Levenmouth instead. This gives 1tph extending down the coast, and again gives you a convenient place off the main line to turn around. You miss out 1tph between Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes, but this is balanced with better links to Levenmouth.

This uses an extra three or four units, which in the grand scheme of a rolling program electrification is virtually a rounding error, but may cause difficulty finding spare DMUs for the time being.

In future, at least 1tph extra around both sides of the loop seems to be in the works; it remains to be seen how much capacity there is for this but where that terminates is anyone's guess.

One of the interesting side effects of this is that the 'other' platform at Glenrothes finally gets some regular timetabled workings, only 28 years after it was built!

Status
Not open for further replies.