Suicide at Govan Subway Station in Glasgow at 9am today..

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by bAzTNM, 29 Jun 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bAzTNM

bAzTNM Member

2. OxtedL

OxtedL Established Member Quizmaster

Very saddening.

Does the subway get many suicides?

3. bAzTNM

bAzTNM Member

Got to be the first Subway suicide for a while. I'd remember something like that when it happened.

4. OxtedL

OxtedL Established Member Quizmaster

Without wishing to seem crude in my approach to this... do they get out of practice with dealing with these incidents? The subway is a bit separate from other systems, so it will be an isolated set of staff (well, apart from the BTP) sorting it out?

5. 142094

142094 Established Member

I imagine each system will have it's own way of dealing with things and have plans ready for each eventuality. If you don't plan for suicides then when it happens you'll be in a lot of bother.

6. northernrail

northernrail Member

Suicides are always upsetting, and there's always something different at a station when you left it hours before.
    Condolences to the family

7. robertclark125

robertclark125 Established Member

Regular exercises are undertaken by the BTP, fire service, and the ambulance, usually on a Sunday evening, when the system is closed (it clsoes at 7pm on a Sunday evening). These exercises take place at any station, and are designed to give training to all staff. In addition, they provide the opportunity to find better ways of dealing with incidents.

8. Train Pilchard

Train Pilchard Member

I was on the train at the other platform of Govan station waiting to depart when it happened on the other line, didn't see the guy jump or the aftermath but there were a few women/children pretty upset by the whole thing. Emergency services (lots of vehicles) were on hand within minutes.

Govan has a bus interchange and the SPT staff wouldn't give out bus tickets to those who had been chucked off the train at Govan, I had no change for a bus and had to walk 30 minutes to work.

9. geomca72

geomca72 New Member

I was standing next to him and seen the whole thing, it was horrible. That will never leave me .

10. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

Presumably, due to the layout of the Subway, there's no "plan B" to keep *any* service running when something like this happens?

Or is there scope for the "clockwise" circle to continue running whilst the "anti-clockwise" one is shut for a fatality like this?

11. robertclark125

robertclark125 Established Member

Well it would be possible to run a shuttle service on the affected circle, say from Ibrox to Partick, due to the ramps taking trains to the surface (in pre modernisation days, this was not possible as cars were lifted from the tunnel), so trains can run to and from Ibrox to Partick, or further on, and then return other way. In doing so, when worknig wrong direction, they would need two drivers, and display a red lamp in the front window, as the trains are working non ATO on a normally ATO section of track in service.

12. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

Cheers - this is one of those "I've always wondered, but have never asked" kind of things...

13. Train Pilchard

Train Pilchard Member

Sorry to hear that, was glad I never saw the gory details.

14. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

On my trip to Shanghai lately, I discovered that almost all metro stations in the city now have platform screens fitted. The main drive behind it? Apparently there were too many suicide attempts before they were fitted. It got to a stage where there were at least 10 attempts a year in the early 2000s, by which time all new-builds came with the screens. A decision was then taken by the operator to have them retrospectively fitted to the earlier Lines 1, 2 and 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.