• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suitability of Heathrow as a location for an airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo

I wish we could drop the confusion between Boris Island and Foster's Thames Hub. The former was a 'floater' and will be sunk without trace where it belongs.
The previous attempts were known as Maplin Sands aka Foulness and Wing aka Cublington; the former arguably worse than Thames Hub and the latter with not a snowball's chance. It created a furore in its time and the more so now.
BTW, I am siting on IoG and have been for a few years. One thing I notice above all else, in this context, is an absence of feathered friends, unlike where I live, adjacent to a signifiant migratory route and with a well stocked indigenous population. OK, the RSBP have their reserve and heronry up the road, not that you would know it.
TH is intended to be built to the north of IoG on reclaimed land so the take off and final approach paths would be over the oggin. The transport links proposed circumvent London and so make it slightly more accessible from the hinterland than presently.

I still say LHR will be developed until it bursts its seams and don't hold you breath waiting for an alternative.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stut

Established Member
BTW, I am siting on IoG and have been for a few years. One thing I notice above all else, in this context, is an absence of feathered friends, unlike where I live, adjacent to a signifiant migratory route and with a well stocked indigenous population.

Fair enough, but you need to consider the flight paths for birdstrike risk, as well as the runways. And that will take you a fair way out from the IoG.

Wolfie

Established Member
You obviously havent found the A380s yet! They make any boeing look and sound like a pendy/ voyager hybrid!! Oh, with the voyager having souped up noisier engines!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Heathrow is in a very good loaction. It has its downfalls, as it is quite hemmed in, but apart from that is fine, and thats from someone who lives closer to Boris Island! I would rather we did what we could with Heathrow. Build the 3rd runway, tells the nimbys where to go (Heathrow was there first) and maintain Heathrows position as the hub of the world, the busiest international airport in the world.

It really isnt that bad an airport at all, considering its size. T3 and T5 are quite pleasant.

LONDON was there first! And flights to/from Heathrow have to fly straight over the damn city! As it is most of the population of London (there is very clear noise as far afield as Islington and Barnet for example let alone West London) has to put up with noise pollution from Heathrow. If you believe even more is acceptable to 8M people so a group of NIMBY's on the coast don't suffer you are living in a dream world! As someone said on here Heathrow should have been closed at least 30 years ago and a new main airport built as happened in Paris, Berlin and Hong Kong for example.
Make the most out of London's other airports by connecting them by a (possibly high-speed) dedicated rail line. Perhaps something of an arc going Heathrow - Gatwick - Stansted, with a stop in central(ish) London somewhere - Waterloo or City Airport, for example. That way all the Airports could operate as a single entity, reducing duplication etc.

[Oh, and make BAA pay for that last one]

BAA either own (or if not shortly will do so) only one of those airports, namely Heathrow as a result of Competition Commission rulings. Why exactly therefore should they pay for the line? I am damn sure they would win any legal case which arose from that bright idea.....

Holly

Northolt is to be sold off. There have already been some proposals for use for civil aviation, although, as you'd expect, people living in the area aren't especially keen.
The problem with moving individual flights elsewhere is that you need to understand where your traffic is going to and how. If you move BA flights to Stansted and Gatwick, you're effectively relying solely on O&D traffic, as nobody is going to include an inter-airport transfer in their itinerary by choice (unless that transfer is as quick as an inter-terminal shuttle, which is why Northolt could just about work, but Gatwick and Stansted are out). ...
That would be a good approach, use Northolt.

Integrate Northolt as an extension of Heathrow with high performance airside and landside steel wheel links of some kind.
By making it an integrated part of Heathrow all sorts of commercial problems are alleviated (competition rules, relocation and advertising expenses of roll-out etc.).

The Northolt runway(s) are shorter, that need not be a problem, not all areoplanes/flight need long runways.

Skymonster

Established Member
Mr. Town and Country planned has just jumped on a popular bandwagon by bashing Heathrow. Yes, it has its problems, but for 99% of the time and a similar proportion of its users it functions very well - it:

• is the 3rd busiest airport in the world by passenger numbers
  • handles 15% more passengers than Paris CDG with only two runways versus CDG's four, 25% more passengers than Frankfurt with three runways, and 40% more passengers than Amsterdam with six runways

It is hampered, however, by four major problems. It:

1. is nearly full (and to all intents and purposes is full at peak times) - this means there's no wriggle room when things have to slow down due to weather or other operational problems
  2. has no easily available room to grow
  3. has a bunch of rather "disconnected" terminals, meaning that passengers making transfers can find it more challenging than at its European competitors
  4. has rather poor and congested surface transport infrastructure

To address these points:

1. Nearly full - there's no good way to address this issue... Unfortunately we don't build for 10 or 20 years time here in the UK, and any expansion is likely to be sucked up almost immediately. However, I do think that there's some potential solutions - as follows...
  2. No room to grow - there's no choice but to support the ongoing growth in air travel - to not do so would indeed put UK back against its European competition. Short of building Borris Island, we've got to make the best of it without the breathing room that Paris CDG or even Frankfurt and Amsterdam enjoy. The third runway would help, especially when aligned to the slowly improving terminal infrastructure coming out of T5, T4 and T1/Heathrow East. Northolt would indeed by another good alternative. There's no good ground infrastructure at Northolt (road, rail, hotels, parking etc) so ideally it would be a secure airside-only terminal facility with checked in passengers being moved from / to Heathrow via a dedicated high-speed rail link - it's only 4.8 nautical miles between the two and if a dedicated rail link from each terminal group (T5/T4/T1/T3) could make the trip every five minutes or so with a journey time of ten minutes it'd be realistic to relocate short-haul flights to Northolt
  3. Disconnected terminals - creating transfer problems - is a legacy of Heathrow's ad-hoc growth over the years, but to an extent is slowly being solved by One World airlines grouping in T5 and the new Star Alliance hub in T1/Heathrow East. This is one area where airports such as Frankfurt steal a march on Heathrow, although anyone who thinks "new builds" get it right need look no further than Paris CDG, where changing can arguably be even more challenging than at Heathrow. Even Amsterdam doesn't have it all easy - long long walks and a terminal that's getting towards the limits of where it can grow to doesn't make AMS the panacea for European air traffic growth. All of the major European airports need transfer traffic to sustain point-to-point services to some of the more esoteric destinations, so there's no easy solution to this other than keep working to make it easier for passengers, and that's something Heathrow is doing and which its compact size will ultimately help with
  4. Surface transport to and from Heathrow is attrocious, particularly rail transport. The rail choice is either a slow and at times hopelessly overcrowded tube to central London (anyone who things this is easy should try arriving at 07:00 with luggage and taking the tube to Kings Cross / St. Pancras - soon they'd change their minds), or an outrageously priced heavy rail train that only goes to one place, necessitating changes or tube or taxi journeys to go anywhere other than London. At Frankfurt airport station, I can get a fast train to Cologne. At Paris CDG, I can go to Brussels... We've missed a huge trick by not stopping HS2 actually at Heathrow and not yet committing to HS2 going all the way to Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh - doing so would have allowed many domestic flights to be stopped and freed up capacity for overseas flights to operate though Heathrow

I don't think this or any future government has the guts to go for a Borris Island approach, and would have even less apetite for an all new on-shore airport. If HS2 has caused a rucus from NIMBYs, what would a new airport do? Gatwick and Stansted will NEVER be attractive enough to lure high-quality airline service away from Heathrow, as an intrinsic part of the success and viability of air services is carrying connecting passengers - no passengers will want to transfer from Gatwick or Stansted so unless those airports can individually build up sufficient network traffic (unlikely, especially at Stansted where the biggest operator won't entertain connections) then Heathrow's operations will comprise of both an origin / destination traffic and as a transfer point.

So, if we're stuck with Heathrow and standing still isn't an option, what's to be done:

• New rail connections from/to existing lines, especially from the south and from the west
  • Third runway - either just north of the Bath Road or at Northolt
  • HS2 via a station AT Heathrow (not OOC) and when built to Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh ban domestic flights to these cities
  • Continue with terminal development both at Heathrow and potentially with an airside "holding terminal" at Northolt and a secure rail link between the two

Finally, I'll go back to where I started. As 3rd busiest airport in the world, Heathrow functions incredibly well given the space and infrastructure it has for 99% of the time and 99% of passengers. I really like Heathrow - I'd always use Heathrow in preference to Paris CDG or Frankfurt, and usually I would in preference to Amsterdam too. The only large European airports I think have really got it right are Munich and Zurich. The problem with Heathrow is that when it goes wrong, it goes wrong big time due to the lack of wriggle room. This problem will only get worse as air traffic grows. So we need to do something. I'd love to see Borris Island get built but I don't think it's going to happen, so we're stuck with Heathrow and maybe doing some of the things discussed in this post and this thread to maybe make Heathrow more tollerable on the few bad days it has.

Andy

WestCoast

Established Member
[*]Disconnected terminals - creating transfer problems - is a legacy of Heathrow's ad-hoc growth over the years, but to an extent is slowly being solved by One World airlines grouping in T5 and the new Star Alliance hub in T1/Heathrow East.[

Not really, T5 is full and it's the BA and Iberia club. All the other Oneworld partners (including where BA has joint ventures e.g. Qantas, American Airlines e.t.c) are in T3 and will be for the foreseeable future. For some BA flights, you have to go to T3 as well. The T5 - T3 bus can take anything up to 15 minutes.

I've always liked Amsterdam over Heathrow, if only for the great viewing facilties and fantastic transport connections, there's plenty of room to expand at the former if need be. I prefer walking to messing about with buses if I am honest and there is always the option of those buggies if you need it!

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Terminal 5 cost £4 billion so Heathrow isn't going anywhere soon. Boris Island is just a pipe dream, in spite of government commitments, the next runway for London will either be at Heathrow or Stansted. Planes will still be flying out of Heathrow long after we have made our final journey through the departure lounge.

Exactly. Even if Heathrow is badly positioned and too cramped, it isn't going to move because there's far too much built up around it because of the airport. There are local jobs, distribution warehouses, factories, even towns built up to support the airport with large businesses and company HQs - such as Slough.

You move the airport and you need to move everything else, and what would go in its place. Those buildings can't exactly be converted to apartments!

No, we're stuck with Heathrow unless something happens that allows us to start from scratch, like a major earthquake, nuclear attack...

Ascot

Established Member
Don't knock Heathrow. It takes 15 minutes to get to on HEX, let's not get a Washington style 40 minute taxi ride job which is miles away. :lol:

Washington IAD, not DCA which is a bit like our LCY.

WestCoast

Established Member
Don't knock Heathrow. It takes 15 minutes to get to on HEX, let's not get a Washington style 40 minute taxi ride job which is miles away. :lol:

If you can afford HEX that is, at £1.17 a mile and all...

...and it's 21 minutes from T5 to Paddington, which isn't the most central of London's mainline termini either.

Ascot

Established Member
If you can afford HEX that is, at £1.17 a mile and all...
Yes, having money does help. If you don't then I'm afraid you're stuck at Paddington with your suitcase. :cry:

...and it's 21 minutes from T5 to Paddington, which isn't the most central of London's mainline termini either.
Yes, it's also 15 minutes from Paddington to Central. It's also 6 minutes from Central to T5 AND it's 12 minutes from Central to Terminal 4. How amazing how all terminals connected!

Well we could have a few new platforms built at St Pancras with a flyover going 207mph over London to join at Airport Jct. I really don't understand what your contribution is on that bit.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
There's absolutely no need for anyone from any regional airport in the UK to take a connection through Heathrow or indeed for anyone to travel by rail to Heathrow. I guarantee that you can reach every corner of the world from any major international airport in the UK regions without going near Heathrow.

That is a oversimplistic generalization. My wife and I like to go on package holidays to "interesting" destinations. The tour operators seldom offer direct flights from anywhere other than LHR. We hate the place and have had several holidays spoilt going through Heathrow, but we have no choice.

Inevitably we have to buy add-on flights from Manchester as we are getting on a bit and it isn't practical to drive or to cart heavy suitcases on the tube, even if we could find space for them on the claustrophobic Voyagers from Chester

Manchester airport is a simple taxi ride down the M56 from where I live in Ellesmere Port (but awkward to get to by train).

If I could get a direct train to LHR from somewhere in the northwest I would use it, but there is no way of getting to Heathrow without a number of changes.

The gentleman from Newcastle is slightly better off than us as the Piccadilly line goes to Kings Cross - but carting heavy suitcases up and down steps and on to overcrowded carriages is not exactly fun and not exactly safe with all the pickpockets about.

The advantage of starting your journey at Manchester airport is that you can often book your baggage straight through to your destination if you have a through air ticket. However opportunities could diminish as a consequence of the BA BMI takeover. Will BA offer throught tickets to competitor airlines? I think not.

Just one piece of advice - if you think LHR is bad - make sure you never change at Madrid. It is the pits.

stut

Established Member
Not really, T5 is full and it's the BA and Iberia club. All the other Oneworld partners (including where BA has joint ventures e.g. Qantas, American Airlines e.t.c) are in T3 and will be for the foreseeable future. For some BA flights, you have to go to T3 as well. The T5 - T3 bus can take anything up to 15 minutes.

IIRC, the T5 satellite shuttle train will eventually reach T3, as its position is a logical progression of the T5 satellite piers. T5D is yet to be completed, so there is still room to expand.

WestCoast

Established Member
That is a oversimplistic generalization. My wife and I like to go on package holidays to "interesting" destinations. The tour operators seldom offer direct flights from anywhere other than LHR. We hate the place and have had several holidays spoilt going through Heathrow, but we have no choice.

What I said is still 100% true though, it's just that the UK based tour operators offering less mainstream destinations sell flights from Heathrow. If you were just looking to for a flight to say, Santiago de Chile (random far-flung destination), you would find options from Manchester that wouldn't involve Heathrow. Note I never mentioned direct flights. Tour operators often have block bookings and so will only offer seats on certain flights.

Last edited:
Heathrow is up to capacity, it needs an additional runway.
Let's think laterally.
A big space user there is airfreight. What's required is a dedicated airfreight airport with fast road and rail links to London - and other major places if possible. Hmmmm.
What's the name of that big aerodrome with a 12,000 foot runway that's a cough and a spit off the M4 with potential for a spur off the G.W.M.L. that the R.A.F. has just vacated?

LE Greys

Established Member
Heathrow is up to capacity, it needs an additional runway.
Let's think laterally.
A big space user there is airfreight. What's required is a dedicated airfreight airport with fast road and rail links to London - and other major places if possible. Hmmmm.
What's the name of that big aerodrome with a 12,000 foot runway that's a cough and a spit off the M4 with potential for a spur off the G.W.M.L. that the R.A.F. has just vacated?

But a lot of air freight goes in passenger aircraft, indeed some direct links cannot survive without it. It's still a good idea, especially if you could use rail for the ground connections (I think some ULDs could be squeezed into a van on British loading gauge) but I'm not sure.

Still, yet another thing the Colnbrook branch could carry as well as westbound passengers.
Yes, having money does help. If you don't then I'm afraid you're stuck at Paddington with your suitcase. :cry:

Well, as he said, Paddington isn't exactly in London, and has just about the worst access to the Tube that you can possibly have with heavy luggage, especially now that you can't take the Circle from Praed Street, although they are working on a lift at the Bishop's Road end. Crossrail ought to sort that out, but why oh why can't Heathrow Express use it, even if they just go as far as Liverpool Street? Fast train to Farringdon, then smack in the middle of the City.

Yes, it's also 15 minutes from Paddington to Central. It's also 6 minutes from Central to T5 AND it's 12 minutes from Central to Terminal 4. How amazing how all terminals connected!

Well we could have a few new platforms built at St Pancras with a flyover going 207mph over London to join at Airport Jct. I really don't understand what your contribution is on that bit.

Actually, there's a vague chance something like that will happen, assuming that there is some way to build a spur off HS2 at Old Oak - perhaps the beginning of the line to Bristol eventually.
Exactly. Even if Heathrow is badly positioned and too cramped, it isn't going to move because there's far too much built up around it because of the airport. There are local jobs, distribution warehouses, factories, even towns built up to support the airport with large businesses and company HQs - such as Slough.

You move the airport and you need to move everything else, and what would go in its place. Those buildings can't exactly be converted to apartments!

No, we're stuck with Heathrow unless something happens that allows us to start from scratch, like a major earthquake, nuclear attack...

... the whole of London flooding sometime around 2100 because of global warming (which would do for an estuary airport without absolutely heroic work to reinforce the embankments). Still, just look at the Docklands. From the bustling port of the 1930s to the wastelands that we see in The Sweeney to what they are today. It happens to everything eventually.

Regrettably, it's also probably true that London's airports can't be 'merged' with rail links. I still think that Gatwick has growth potential, with the added benefit that it does not result in aircraft taking straight off towards London (which Boris Island would do, go west a few miles from the possible site and you are in the East End, and climbing on full throttle is a bit loud). Really, we can only struggle on with what we have, unless there is some other way to handle passenger traffic one day.

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
No, routing the line to Bristol out of Euston would be a terrible idea, it puts yet more strain on the station and uses up valuable paths on the core route, any line that heads in that direction will have to start at Paddington really, although ofcourse you could probably built a "HSXC" route between Bristol and Birmingham International if you did build a HS3 to the South West.

At that point you could run trains to Heathrow via Bristol Parkway or similar, travel times would still be faster than a transfer across London despite the vastly longer distances.

LE Greys

Established Member
No, routing the line to Bristol out of Euston would be a terrible idea, it puts yet more strain on the station and uses up valuable paths on the core route, any line that heads in that direction will have to start at Paddington really, although ofcourse you could probably built a "HSXC" route between Bristol and Birmingham International if you did build a HS3 to the South West.

At that point you could run trains to Heathrow via Bristol Parkway or similar, travel times would still be faster than a transfer across London despite the vastly longer distances.

That section needs four tracks anyway, to allow train to pass those stopped at OOC. Four tracks all the way to Euston with two more bearing off for the St Pancras/HS1 link. I'm thinking direct Swansea-Bristol-Heathrow-London-Paris.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
That section needs four tracks anyway, to allow train to pass those stopped at OOC. Four tracks all the way to Euston with two more bearing off for the St Pancras/HS1 link. I'm thinking direct Swansea-Bristol-Heathrow-London-Paris.

The capacity studies done by Bombardier and HS2 Ltd engineers says otherwise, they project that the length of the platform loops can be held to ~500m if there is a PSR of 240-250kph in the area, which adds roughly 60 seconds to overall travel times and is considerably cheaper than four tracking.

This still doesn't answer how you expect to fit 10+ trains per hour extra into Euston. The current Y network and its logical expansions is pushing the site as it is. (18 potentially 1300 seat trains per hour arriving almost certainly overloads the stations infrastructure, even if Chelney is built it will be iffy).

And is there even room for the additional platforms required?

EDIT: Additionally you might be able to provide a GB+ cleared route between this HS-SW and HS1 by routing over the Dudding Hill line and then clearing more of the NLL.

Clip

Established Member
There has also been no effort to link HEX with Stansted via Crossrail, instead the little local shuttles are getting the link. :roll: Connecting the two, especially if passengers could have a separate coach to transfer without going through immegration, would improve links tremendously. It would also provide a fast route to Farringdon, nicely linked with the City. But all this would mean that HEX would have to incorporate with ATOC, so BAA are adopting a dog-in-the-manger position and the DfT will not get tough with them, or simply buy up the line and sell it to Network Rail. It might then be easier to connect into the Colnbrook branch, possibly linking to Staines and Iver, if NR could connect to their own station rather than someone else's.

There was a stroy in the Standard tonight that Boris backs a new runway at Stanstead as a pre-cursor to pushing through his Boris Island Idea. He also said he would extend crossrail to Stanstead so it could link up with Heathrow. Story

LE Greys

Established Member
The capacity studies done by Bombardier and HS2 Ltd engineers says otherwise, they project that the length of the platform loops can be held to ~500m if there is a PSR of 240-250kph in the area, which adds roughly 60 seconds to overall travel times and is considerably cheaper than four tracking.

This still doesn't answer how you expect to fit 10+ trains per hour extra into Euston. The current Y network and its logical expansions is pushing the site as it is. (18 potentially 1300 seat trains per hour arriving almost certainly overloads the stations infrastructure, even if Chelney is built it will be iffy).

And is there even room for the additional platforms required?

EDIT: Additionally you might be able to provide a GB+ cleared route between this HS-SW and HS1 by routing over the Dudding Hill line and then clearing more of the NLL.

Or build something entirely new underneath the route, which I think is the solution they will eventually go for.

I still find it a bit hard to comprehend that it's possible to run one train every six minutes without the timetable collapsing completely because of one unexpected signal check with a CC about to join the route somewhere - let alone a failure or a delayed departure at OOC. All it takes is one suitcase stuck in a door. Quite simply, I think Bombardier and HS2 Ltd are trying to do the impossible, since you just can't build a robust timetable with train running that close together. Think how often the Tube has problems, and that runs in a controlled environment with many of the lines not interfacing with anything.

OK, even assuming it is possible to run an inter-city railway on urban metro frequencies, and that there will be enough passengers to fill all the trains (another over-optimistic prediction I think) it is not just a line to London, it is a line to the Continent. The 10+ trains to Euston would be offset by 10+ out of the total number of trains running right through to HS1, stopping at OOC or Stratford if they are to serve London at all.

Clip

Established Member
LONDON was there first! And flights to/from Heathrow have to fly straight over the damn city! As it is most of the population of London (there is very clear noise as far afield as Islington and Barnet for example let alone West London) has to put up with noise pollution from Heathrow. ...

Can even here and see them as far east as the Stow too and further east.

LE Greys

Established Member
Can even here and see them as far east as the Stow too and further east.

Rather amusingly, I filmed Concorde's final departure from outside Hatton Cross (right under the end of the runway) and sometimes the mic couldn't pick up jet engine noise over the sound of the road behind me - certainly from smaller aircraft (not the old lady herself though).

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Or build something entirely new underneath the route, which I think is the solution they will eventually go for.

I still find it a bit hard to comprehend that it's possible to run one train every six minutes without the timetable collapsing completely because of one unexpected signal check with a CC about to join the route somewhere - let alone a failure or a delayed departure at OOC. All it takes is one suitcase stuck in a door. Quite simply, I think Bombardier and HS2 Ltd are trying to do the impossible, since you just can't build a robust timetable with train running that close together. Think how often the Tube has problems, and that runs in a controlled environment with many of the lines not interfacing with anything.
18tph is one train every ~ three minutes, not every six, its 18tphpd.

Well with CC trains you could leave several minutes at its first high speed station to insulate it from problems on the classic component of its route, and there is no reason that the timetable has to collapse when you consider the frequencies we would be running. If worst comes to worst you can simply cancel the train at Birmingham International and truncate the return working to start there instead of triggering a timetable collapse.
If the train misses its slot on the core, it misses it's slot on the core and the passengers will have to be transferred to the next available train.

And as for suitcases in doors, the Shinkansen run timetables with 9+ trains per hour over two track lines with far more stops than they are proposing on the core section of HS2, and do it with an average delay measured in a handful of seconds.
It is certainly not impossible.

OK, even assuming it is possible to run an inter-city railway on urban metro frequencies, and that there will be enough passengers to fill all the trains (another over-optimistic prediction I think) it is not just a line to London, it is a line to the Continent.

Why would there not be enough passengers to fill all these trains? Once you are running a train I calculated that the marginal cost of running a 400m Duplex set with ~1300 seats instead of a short single deck train comes to roughly ~£8 for a London-Birmingham journey and ~£15 for a London-Manchester/Leeds journey.

Effectively Leeds and Manchester join the commuter belt.

The 10+ trains to Euston would be offset by 10+ out of the total number of trains running right through to HS1, stopping at OOC or Stratford if they are to serve London at all.

We won't ever have ten trains per hour running through to the continent, we will be lucky to have ten per day. That is unless you propose running <200m length AGVs or similar on international routes rather than the logical choice when paths are precious, 1300 seat 400m Duplex type sets.

LE Greys

Established Member
18tph is one train every ~ three minutes, not every six, its 18tphpd.

I said six because I was referring to the additional trains only. As I see it, a train every three minutes at that speed is not just impossible, it's mad. AIUI, that means they would have to travel inside double the emergency braking distance. Nevertheless, I did know that was what they were thinking of.

Well with CC trains you could leave several minutes at its first high speed station to insulate it from problems on the classic component of its route, and there is no reason that the timetable has to collapse when you consider the frequencies we would be running. If worst comes to worst you can simply cancel the train at Birmingham International and truncate the return working to start there instead of triggering a timetable collapse.
If the train misses its slot on the core, it misses it's slot on the core and the passengers will have to be transferred to the next available train.

And as for suitcases in doors, the Shinkansen run timetables with 9+ trains per hour over two track lines with far more stops than they are proposing on the core section of HS2, and do it with an average delay measured in a handful of seconds.

None of that sounds very nice for the poor passengers, but that isn't exactly what I was thinking of. I was thinking that (say) a 350 is a bit late clearing the platforms at Rugby, and can't make up the time by Rugeley, or a late-running freight gets in the way, or whatever. A CC is about to come of HS2 and onto the TVL, but gets signal-checked. This causes the same 'ripple effect' that you get when someone has to brake on a motorway, suddenly everything behind has to brake as well, with the ammount of braking increasing until you have a complete snarl-up twenty miles back. A six-minute cushion would prevent this.

Going the other way, imagine that a Glasgow-London is checked at Lichfield, just before it reaches the junction. You can't sit the thing on the WCML or in a loop for ages until the next spare path, there simply isn't one. No, you have to feed the thing into the system somewhere. Dumping all the passengers in Birmingham is hardly an inducement for them to travel again, especailly if they end up on a peak-time commuter train (as you suggest it will be) to finish their journey to London. Whatever happens, the Glasgow-London must get through, so do you cancel something else to clear a path? How much compensation do you have to pay out?

Why would there not be enough passengers to fill all these trains? Once you are running a train I calculated that the marginal cost of running a 400m Duplex set with ~1300 seats instead of a short single deck train comes to roughly ~£8 for a London-Birmingham journey and ~£15 for a London-Manchester/Leeds journey.

I've done a few sums, and 18 X 1,300 is 26,100. Now, even assuming that it is possible to run this without the expected snarl-ups, then I can begin to see why they are only planning one route. All my ideas were based around my expected maximum, 10tph peak, 6tph off-peak on the fast lines, which is why I always considered we needed two routes, or one route with four tracks.

Now I imagine there will be no trouble filling the trains during the peaks, but not off-peak. I've been on off-peak expresses that have left London at one-quarter capacity many times, and assuming that's a standard, 500-seat-or-so HST, you're only moving 125 people plus a lot of fresh air. Will the situation be all that different when HS2 is built? I doubt it. So will they really try to run one train every three minutes off-peak. Of course not, most will be sitting in sidings somewhere. To make up the spare capacity, airport shuttles and international trains could run, otherwise what's the point of all this capacity in the first place?

We won't ever have ten trains per hour running through to the continent, we will be lucky to have ten per day. That is unless you propose running <200m length AGVs or similar on international routes rather than the logical choice when paths are precious, 1300 seat 400m Duplex type sets.

So will there be any improvement? Are we really trying to get people out of the air and onto rail? I thought the whole point of HS2 was to extend the European high-speed network northwards into Britain so that people would not have to fly. Regular, direct services to Paris and Brussels are a crucial part of that. If we don't get those, what would decide people travelling to Europe to take the train?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I said six because I was referring to the additional trains only. As I see it, a train every three minutes at that speed is not just impossible, it's mad. AIUI, that means they would have to travel inside double the emergency braking distance. Nevertheless, I did know that was what they were thinking of.

Well they actually project 22 paths per hour being possible using ATO (only 18tph due to the intermediate stops requiring gaps), which will almost certainly be used, since you can eliminate the time the computer takes waiting for the driver to do something since it can just take action immediately.
This is helped by TSIs requiring that all infrastructure be compatible with linear eddy current brakes now, allowing emergency brake forces to exceed adhesion limits, and also by longer 400m trains being able to brake more quickly in adverse conditions using only friction brakes.
(The FASTECH 360Z study came to the conclusion that wet track has no major effect after the first ~120m of the train, so the longer the train the greater percentage of its brake force it has available).

None of that sounds very nice for the poor passengers, but that isn't exactly what I was thinking of. I was thinking that (say) a 350 is a bit late clearing the platforms at Rugby, and can't make up the time by Rugeley, or a late-running freight gets in the way, or whatever. A CC is about to come of HS2 and onto the TVL, but gets signal-checked. This causes the same 'ripple effect' that you get when someone has to brake on a motorway, suddenly everything behind has to brake as well, with the amount of braking increasing until you have a complete snarl-up twenty miles back. A six-minute cushion would prevent this.

Well as I doubt 18tph will be implemented at-least until HS2b (the rest of the Y) is implemented it means that the majority of the trains will be captive sets and only a small number will be classic compatible. (I project 2 each to Leeds and Manchester and none at Rugeley after the Y opens).
You could solve the ripple effect problem by either placing a 250kph PSR on the section of track approaching the junction and then providing a ~500m long loop between the HS tracks and the classic ones, permitting a train to move all the way clear of the line before the next one behind it catches up with it.
Or you could forget a PSR on the running lines and just provide 2-3 miles of "sliproad" lines to allow a train to leave the tracks at ~170kph and brake to a stop once it is clear of the high speed lines.

Going the other way, imagine that a Glasgow-London is checked at Lichfield, just before it reaches the junction. You can't sit the thing on the WCML or in a loop for ages until the next spare path, there simply isn't one. No, you have to feed the thing into the system somewhere. Dumping all the passengers in Birmingham is hardly an inducement for them to travel again, especailly if they end up on a peak-time commuter train (as you suggest it will be) to finish their journey to London. Whatever happens, the Glasgow-London must get through, so do you cancel something else to clear a path? How much compensation do you have to pay out?
Well if you really must get that train through, you would presumably contact the guard/catering staff of all the trains with paths through the core and determine which train has the fewest number of people aboard and truncate that one, load everyone from that train onto others available at Birmingham Int.

I actually did a sample timetable for a "mature" network, with a line to Scotland where I left one path free for International and Fast freight services and one free for ECS moves or whatever to move "spare" sets around, so there would be 1 or two paths free to solve problems like this in some cases.

Either way, it is highly unlikely that the currently planned components of the HS2 "Y" would have Glasgow trains as significant expresses, as this train would be no faster than the Pendolino thanks to being unable to access EPS speeds north of Manchester.

Now I imagine there will be no trouble filling the trains during the peaks, but not off-peak. I've been on off-peak expresses that have left London at one-quarter capacity many times, and assuming that's a standard, 500-seat-or-so HST, you're only moving 125 people plus a lot of fresh air. Will the situation be all that different when HS2 is built? I doubt it. So will they really try to run one train every three minutes off-peak. Of course not, most will be sitting in sidings somewhere. To make up the spare capacity, airport shuttles and international trains could run, otherwise what's the point of all this capacity in the first place?

Well, the dominant operating costs of modern trains seem to be capital cost repayments (which are the same no matter how hard the stock is worked) and staffing costs. However staffing costs for a 400m double deck High speed train-set are actually lower per trip than for the Cl390s, (the same size train crew for far less time).

Virgin currently runs three trains per hour to Manchester even in off peak periods, three per hour to Birmingham throughout the day while there are half hourly trains to Leeds on East Coast throughout the day. This adds up to at-least 8 conventional trains per hour and leads to similar staffing costs as the timetable that I am proposing.

As each train-set would be carrying so many more passengers it is not unreasonable to assume that the market would quickly become saturated with lots and lots of ultra cheap off peak tickets. Cheap to the extent that people in London would go to the Cinema in Birmingham or even Manchester, or that people in Manchester would go out in London.
If very off peak services to Birmingham withdrew the catering staff that would result in further reduction in cost and reductions in the relevant ticket prices.
(Captive trains could even go DOO as a high speed accident either occurs at low speed in a station where there are staff about, or it looks like Eschede and the guard is probably dead already).

So will there be any improvement? Are we really trying to get people out of the air and onto rail? I thought the whole point of HS2 was to extend the European high-speed network northwards into Britain so that people would not have to fly. Regular, direct services to Paris and Brussels are a crucial part of that. If we don't get those, what would decide people travelling to Europe to take the train?

I thought the purpose of High Speed rail in the UK was to erase the north south divide by making the North the South. (Extend the London commuter belt as far north as possible with the lowest possible ticket prices).

But anyway, that one path per hour I reserve in my projections for Freight and/or International trains would provide approximately 1tp2h on each of the branches of the Y to Paris. (Anywhere beyond Paris really runs into the increasing travel times). If you were able to position a hot spare set at Euston and potentially OOC it might be possible to use the path I reserve for "spare" set movements during peak periods to permit extra trains to be run at times of high demand.

I would of-course suggest that all double deck captive sets be identical, permitting any set to substitute for any other as required.

DownSouth

Established Member
That is with Japanese passengers though, their disciplined use of the system is a crucial component in making the system work. Attempting the same with British passengers could be hilarious!

The problem with this is that the majority of the tickets won't be sold at the marginal cost, even if it is run as a public service (by the state directly or by a contracted operator) rather than by a private franchisee. There would have to be a levy added to all ticket prices to pay back the construction cost, a bit like road tolls on the Sydney Harbour Bridge paid it back over a period of more than fifty years.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The problem with this is that the majority of the tickets won't be sold at the marginal cost, even if it is run as a public service (by the state directly or by a contracted operator) rather than by a private franchisee. There would have to be a levy added to all ticket prices to pay back the construction cost, a bit like road tolls on the Sydney Harbour Bridge paid it back over a period of more than fifty years.

That includes the additional wear and tear caused by the extra vehicles, so you would effectively average the price of these seats with the price of the first tranche of seats that you would have even if you ran a shorter train. (And I came out with prices of ~£15 and ~£25 for those, so its not really that expensive, if you can build an all new system with all new rolling stock and work it intensively you can cut many of the costs we currently have).

You end up being able to repay the construction debt of the infrastructure over a 40 year period with ticket prices far below that of the existing railway.

LE Greys

Established Member
I thought the purpose of High Speed rail in the UK was to erase the north south divide by making the North the South. (Extend the London commuter belt as far north as possible with the lowest possible ticket prices).

That, I think, is the biggest problem. It can't work. The north-south divide is not caused just by the fact that people can't get between the two in a reasonable time, it is caused by socio-economic factors determining where people want to live. Even if you could teleport from London to Leeds, there would still be a north-south divide just as there is a divide in Greater London itself between affluent suburbs and deprived areas. Stevenage is firmly 'commuter belt', yet I would consider it 'north of the divide'. It's hardly Woking or Guildford, despite the fact that it can be reached quicker than either. There are affluent areas near by, yet certainly not as many in Hertfordshire as in Surrey. Socio-economic factors drive that, not transport links.

Here is a list of achievable aims for HS2:
  1. Reduce domestic air travel, especially London-Scotland
  2. Reduce international air travel, especially Northern England/Midlands-Paris
  3. Give communities througout the Midlands, Northerm England and Southern Scotland fast, direct links to London
  4. Provide fast links between those communities
  5. Make London a through station rather than a terminus
  6. Be available on a turn-up-and-go basis just like any other railway, so convenient as well as fast

Even without major changes, such as those needed to make a vast improvement to commuter services from Buckinghamshire or a shuttle from Heathrow, this can all be done in a much more cost-effective way with a new line for the inter-city sections rather than expensive WCML-style upgrades. Making the access to the 'classic' network better is a good way to do that, since you don't need new stations or approaches. Maybe there's not as much capacity on the new line, but it lowers cost to an extent where more new lines can be built. Absolute capacity is not really important here, it's a question of how many people can access the service easily.
Really, this should be in the HS2 thread. How did we get onto it?

Wolfie

Established Member
Rather amusingly, I filmed Concorde's final departure from outside Hatton Cross (right under the end of the runway) and sometimes the mic couldn't pick up jet engine noise over the sound of the road behind me - certainly from smaller aircraft (not the old lady herself though).

I live about 50m from the North London line/East London line (ie London Overground) near Canonbury station. I find the noise of trains, including the VERY large freight trains which run at night, FAR less penetrating than aircraft noise. In summer with the windows open it is a 545am awakening every single day as the first flights for Heathrow pass anywhere near ....would I accept even more aircraft noise - NO! Would I be contributing to legal action to stop any Heathrow expansion or relaxation of the current noise limits? Hell yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.