• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summer outing to Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Reeves

Established Member
On RTT, if you're looking for freight then use detailed. I use detailed all of the time anyway, even for seeing if my train is on time.

Starts here means the service starts at the location you selected. Act arrival/pass gives the exact time that service arrived/departed, exp arrival/pass gives the expected time or arrival or pass.

If it says RT it means that service is exactly on time. Early services appear as 3E for example. This means the service passed/arrived 3 minutes early, the same with late, but It'd appear 3L, for example.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alecras234

On Moderation
what do the 2 columns mean, it says in first column plan arr, act arr, origin, Liverpool Euro, platform 5, then there's the destination column, im confused.upload_2018-2-18_18-39-30.png

E_Reeves

Established Member
Planned arrival is what time that service is timetabled to arrive (in 24 hour time).
A time in actual arrival will appear when that service has actually arrived, again in 24 hour time.
Origin is where that service started. The onr you chose is a freight, starting at Liverpool Euro Metal.
Platform 5 is what platform that service is planned to go into in the station you selected.
ID is the headcode (freight headcodes are scrambled).
TOC is the operator. ZZ is freight, but passenger services will appear as the actual TOC code.
Destination is where that service is going to, the one you're looking at is going to Kingsbury.

Note: The (Q) in Act Dep means that this service will only run if it is required, so it may not run at all.

Hope this helps :)

alecras234

On Moderation
so Liverpool Euro Metal arrived at Crewe at 0004 at platform 5 going to Kingsbury arriving there at 0006????? Have i got that information right, is it the same then for every loco on the list but different times and destinations??

E_Reeves

Established Member
so Liverpool Euro Metal arrived at Crewe at 0004 at platform 5 going to Kingsbury arriving there at 0006????? Have i got that information right, is it the same then for every loco on the list but different times and destinations??
Not quite. It arrived at Crewe (well it possibly will do as you've searched for a future date) at 0004. The 0006 part is the time it will depart Crewe, so it has a 2 minute wait in the station (possibly a driver change). The times that you see are only the times for the station you've entered. If you want all calling points and times for that service, click on the blue underlined ID number, in this case FRGT in the same row as the service you want.

This is the same for any service, but obviously times and locations will differ.

alecras234

On Moderation
im looking at Valley Nuclear Electric, am i right in thinking that it gets into Chester at 1643, from Valley NuclearElectric, going to Crewe Coal Sidings, leaving Crewe at 1702. Am i right? What's UDG for the platform?upload_2018-2-19_16-59-58.png

E_Reeves

Established Member
Which station have you entered into RTT? UDG I believe is a goods line used by freight. I'm not used to that area so I'm not sure if it is a platform or just a through line.

E_Reeves

Established Member
I'm looking for the realtrain times app for my android fone, i cant find it.
I think there is one, but it isn't very good and you have to pay for it. The best thing to do is just use realtimetrains.co.uk in your web browser and I've pinned it to my home screen for easy access.

alecras234

On Moderation
Hi i haven't posted in a while, got the rail bug again. I went to Holyhead station the other day to have a look around the platforms and i went to see what the view was like at the end of platform 2. I felt so comfortable thee waiting for trains to arrive and depart, the Virgin 221103 was in at platform 2 and the Arrivatrains wales 175 was in at platform 3 but i couldn't see the unit number. I haven't been trainspotting before but i found it very interesting when i was at Holyhead, do i just go to a platform and take photos of trains and also their numbers at the rear? How do i plan my time at the station by using realtimetrains?

Skymonster

Established Member
Arriva Trains Wales units have the numbers on the front and back ends, right beneath the driver's window. Quite a few other unit classes have numbers on the front, while a few classes have numbers on the side just below the cab windows. So your Arriva Trains Wales 175 should have had a large number on the front, in the yellow section. The Virgin 221 would have had a number on the side, below the driver's cab.

Many locos have numbers on the sides - some below the cab side windows, and a few on the body between the two cabs. It's all a bit confusing because there is no hard-and-fast standard, but you soon get to understand where the numbers are on each class of unit or locomotive.

Many enthusiasts want to see every unit and every loco, so as they do they mark them off in a book - or using a computer-based logging system. Others want to actually travel on every unit and be 'hauled' by every loco - again marking them off as they progress. Some want to visit every station, while others want to travel on every piece of track. Still more want photos. It's really your choice what you do - as long as you enjoy it.

Real Time Trains list the services that are due, but not the unit / loco that is allocated to the service. With Real Time Trains you can work out the operator, the route and the time, but that's about all. Many people use Real Time Trains to plan their time around services they hope will be operated by a unit or a loco they still need to see (or travel behind, or photograph, or...)

alecras234

On Moderation
I want to go to Holyhead station with my camera to photograph the incoming and outgoing trains. Here is my thought, if i go on realtime trains to see what trains i want to look at are coming in and get to the station before that time. Then take photos with also the numbers. Does that sound ok as a plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.