• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sunbathing in Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

With the 07:45 off Parkstone on 444 017, I was already clearly content with myself and yet only 5 minutes on a 444 was enough to excite me. Unfortunatly not as much as Tom would be when arriving at Bournemouth, he was on 444 019 which became the front 5 of the now 10 car set. Soon after quickly finding Tom sitting in a seat that perhaps dwarfed his size the traditional and unsurprising arguement about how Pigs are better than Desiros and vice versa. To be precise at 08:45 just some 40 minutes later we arrived at a very quiet Southampton Central, sadfully watching the happy couple leave the platform we photted the pair and mentally ticked them off in our competition to 'score them all'. Again another quick trip on a 444 took us past Northam traincare depot where we saw 444 043 later waiting to be shot by us at St Denys. A passing freight train promted the arrival of Damon who accompanied Tom on the bridge for the second freight to follow. I was adamant I would remain on the platform to avoid capturing the same shot between the three of us and perhaps proportionally incase they spoke over my video :lol:.
Tom's bordem got the best of him and photting Desiros and 158s caused for a change in location. A small walk for us down the road brought us to the bridge above the mainline overlooking the curve. Only problem was, Tom being the shortest of us could not reach over the bridge let alone fit his telescopic lense being to large to fit between the mesh, I was having other problems my video camera for one on a tripod not having enough zoom between the gap in the wire. Damon was ever so kind to seek a hole cut neatly in the wire which i swiftly placed myself, if anything other than having to change batteries he had no problems. Weirdly enough while Tom and Damon were placed on the opposite side of the road, i seemed to be standing on the most popular side of the road for members of the public. Some smiled, others laughed but one stoat in particular came to stop for a grueling chat. At this point i think its best to admit that this person wasnt the most presentable of figures to approach or be approached by, plenty of facial hair, and old clothes with a few tatered rips a tesco bag and a half scottish, half foreign accent.

image1un5.jpg

Having just taken a cheese sandwich out of my bag for a bite to eat, the one thought running through my head as i knew he was approaching was "bolloks he wants my sandwich - eat faster". Ten minutes on the go and i missed 444 043 as a i modestly kept my cool, knowing that Tom had just scored one over me. It was an interesting one sided conversation from me as i agreed with him throughout, went a little like this:

Stoat - What... are you doing... fishing?
Nathan - Im taking photos of the trains (what else!)
Stoat - Ohh yes... trains - i think you... picked a good day... the day is... hot and quiet.
Nathan - Yes... (your point?)
Stoat - Its half term... for the little children
Nathan - (ohh god) yes we're all on half term too *indicates to Tom and Damon that are shifting as far away on the other side*
Stoat - The children destroy the railway... like when... pub closes
Nathan - Well its safe now, we dont destroy the railways.

At this point thank goodness a 444 was at my saviour and as i turned on my cameras he bid me fairwell. after seeing another 66 i crossed to see Tom and Damon, where after a couple more 444s and 450s we soon had enough and went back to the station. Vegging on the corner of the platform all sitting down with our cameras ready, It was by now quite hot (either that or the walk made Tom sweat ;)) and he surprisingly took of his coat, a first for Damon and Tom spotting became the agenda for us all to pass the time. Our location was ideal because we were lazy and we didnt need to move at all, just mearly swivel to the right or left and shoot. I think so much time had passed weeds were growing in our shadows and the grass never looked taller. Again another freight passed us before we got onto 158 that Damon had previously arrived on, through Southampton we stopped at Millbrook. Seeing another 66 ready to depart from the sidings meant we all had to run to the end of the platform. Lounging around on the platform to ourselves wasnt the most thrilling of times, seeing a 158 and fast 10 car 444 was about it. Walking back to Southampton took us to a bridge which tom always loves, there we stayed for perhaps more than an hour waiting for a freight. In between that we saw the same unit three times and dejavu played our minds, Toms planning wasnt quite up to scratch. Standing on the bridge in the height of the day was the worst time to be photting. There were barley any trains and it was blisteringly hot. jumpers, coats jackets all came off we had so much time even to do a seminar shot, twice. The last freight for my day finally came and once again the "fresh air express" was actually loaded proving Tom wrong once again. A shorter walk to southampton brought me back an hour earlier than planned and instead i went home and as a result voted to write a report of our day.

bridgeveg.jpg

flailveg.jpg

3246_stdenys_444001014.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Stop nicking my photos....... :lol:

High point of the day was Kris on 444 024 probably.... got checked at St Denys due to a slow moving Voyager (to allow a 450 to cross its path.... :lol:)

Nathan

Stop nicking my photos....... :lol:

High point of the day was Kris on 444 024 probably.... got checked at St Denys due to a slow moving Voyager (to allow a 450 to cross its path.... :lol:)

Its a collection of ours, just to show the highlights of the day, course there were lots of 444s, i had to restrain myself from putting the lot up ;) Isnt it always 444 024, my favourite, first ride, most seen, photted and ridden. She cant stay away from me :lol:

TheSlash

Established Member
Meanwhile
I had to goto Southampton Central to collect a vehicle, so i caught a 158 from Fareham to scum, arriving about 16:10. I tried phoning Coxster but his phone was off / out of range. I looked in at Millbrook but couldn't see anyone, so i went out of Southampton back to Portsmouth via the M271. I might of seen you if i'd of gone my normal route out {Via St Denys and Swaythling} but the van was running on fumes and the nearest petrol station was Redbridge.

Coxster

Established Member
Must've been out of range, but when I was alerted to a missed call I tried to ring you back but got the same weird tone that I did in the morning. Anyway, here's a shot of Nathan shooting a Dessie:

Attachments

• Nathan.jpg
    Nathan.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 71

TheSlash

Established Member
My phone was having a few problems yesterday, i reckon they must of had a mast failure in my area, it was fine when i got to Fareham. It was switched off most of the day aswell, as i worked Thursday night

Jordy

Established Member
Must've been out of range, but when I was alerted to a missed call I tried to ring you back but got the same weird tone that I did in the morning. Anyway, here's a shot of Nathan shooting a Dessie:

Would be a good one for a caption competition, something along the lines of "Quick desiro, run run! Tom is behind you with a bulldozer, QUICK! Nooooooooo my precious Desiro :("

;);)

Jordy

Nathan

Would be a good one for a caption competition, something along the lines of "Quick desiro, run run! Tom is behind you with a bulldozer, QUICK! Nooooooooo my precious Desiro :("

I'd stand tall and proud! of course i can kneel to stand taller than Tom :lol:

Nathan

Just a thought, but as 444024 is your favourite, why do you have 444022 in your avatar?

Damn, i didnt think anyone could tell! yes your right it is 444 022 i just couldnt find/havn't been bothered looking for a shot of 024. If i remember when looking ages ago for a shot of 444 024 there wasnt one that i deemed as good for my avatar :(

Nathan

The fact that it was Kris in the cab was the only reason you took a photo :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Damn, i didnt think anyone could tell! yes your right it is 444 022 i just couldnt find/havn't been bothered looking for a shot of 024. If i remember when looking ages ago for a shot of 444 024 there wasnt one that i deemed as good for my avatar :(

The wonders of using the Zoom function on IE...:lol:

David

Established Member
Thread re-opened after I haved deleted lots of drivel....

Please carry on with this discussion, but do not insult or flame other members.

voyagerdude220

Established Member

;);)

Jordy

I was thinking along the lines of:
"Trainspotter on platform prepares to take a photo of a very slow on coming train, only to get so tired/bored during the wait, that he forgets to take the photograph" ...

He's still down there today, he's not moved yet ;)

(sorry if that seems a load of rubbish, it's just that the image gives the impression that the spotter is taking a photo after the train has been through, missing the train completely)

Status
Not open for further replies.