• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sunday Attaching/Dividing at Worthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Why is it on Sunday trains from Portsmouth go via Hove not via Horsham?

Presumably the Bognor trains still run via Horsham and are in fixed formations?

Instead the attaching/dividing takes place at Worthing

The service is actually very good as it provides a 'GWR style' service from Chichester to Hove only calling Barnham, Worthing and Shoreham

Not to mention GWR themselves providing additional services on a Sunday down the West Coastway...

It seems the trains to Brighton from Southampton stop all shacks with no direct Soton to Vic trains

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Isn't the basic reason that the Sunday timetable reflects the weekday timetable up until Dec 2006, and the major review that took place to introduce the current service patterns on the West Coastway from Dec 2007 only affected Mon-Sat?

In other words it used to be something more like today's Sunday every day of the week, and for some reason they didn't see a need to alter the Sunday timetable, the main reason I can think of is that they want a much 'thinner' set of frequencies to use less stock, less train crew, and to allow room for engineering work diversions.

I expect if someone has a Dec 2006 timetable this can be confirmed one way or another.

PS, I found a pdf describing the 2007 West Coastway changes, comparing calls station by station, which won't be half as good as a timetable but might give a bit of an idea. As an example, Horsham shows as only gaining its faster services to Portsmouth and Southampton from that date.

Attachments

• West Coastway Dec 2007.pdf
    90.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Didn't the extra Southern services along the West Coastway come as part of SWT withdrawing from Brighton?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Didn't the extra Southern services along the West Coastway come as part of SWT withdrawing from Brighton?

Well that was a small part of it, but there were significantly more changes made at the same time. The Brighton - Southampton service replaced the SWT service as far as Fareham, but the calling patterns east of Havant were also altered, and of course that alone didn't cause changes such as splitting and joining into fast and slow portions at Horsham. The Littlehampton - Portsmouth stopper was also an additional train into SWT territory.

The Sunday Brighton - Southampton didn't appear initially - it was either one or two years later.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
One question I do have to ask, i know that Southern travel via Eastleigh for route retention purposes, but why do more services occur on a Saturday than in the week?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
One question I do have to ask, i know that Southern travel via Eastleigh for route retention purposes, but why do more services occur on a Saturday than in the week?

They tried originally to get a fairly regular one way loop service pattern on weekdays where a number of the Brightons would have run via Eastleigh but in only the westbound direction, basically providing an hourly service to/from Southampton Airport. Around the same time XC applied to extend their alternate Reading services to Southampton. In the ensuing access dispute, despite Southern having asked first, the decision was made by the disputes panel that XC's plans were more useful in terms of overall connectivity, and Southern were basically told to get lost. There were big clashes with freight paths as well.

Southern were offered a small number of token paths on weekdays, but an increased number on Saturdays, more like they originally asked for.

However on weekdays they aren't all about route retention, the afternoon train from Southampton (1426) was sent via Eastleigh mainly to get it out of the way of the eastbound FGW Brighton that already ran in that hour, departing Southampton Central in place of the usual xx33 or xx32.

Status
Not open for further replies.