• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sunday trading laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrd

Established Member
Although, I do like the Sunday evenings without customers, gives us a bit of time to clean up the shop properly ;)

That is what I have been thinking, if the store is closed, it doesn't necessarily been that there aren't still staff working away inside. I used to work in Woolworths years ago at the weekends over Christmas and iirc, the earliest start was still 0800/0900 for a 1000 open, browsing only, trading at 1100 and the latest finish was about 2000, after closing at 1700. Ok, fair enough it gives the management time to do their end-of-week stuff but I think trading for 6 hours is silly.

There is a big 24h (Mon-Fri) Tesco near to me and a Tesco Express down the road from the big one. Tesco Express has a very limited range compared to the big store and still only closes at 2200. If I finished work in the late evening, then I would be stuffed if I needed something.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
What about ferries sailing on a Sunday? Surely no-one would be against that?

Sadly not. The religious junta on Lewis and Harris managed to make their islands even more isolated by vehemently objecting to any plans for Sunday sailings.

I was there for the first Sunday sailing from Lewis - it left at 1430, well after all church services were finished. There were, from what I could tell, 14 protesters - roughly the same number of media workers covering the event. The best estimate of islanders (often CalMac's most vocal critics) lining the foreshore to cheer the ship on are estimated to be around the 600 mark, not bad for a town of 8,000.

Afterwards, we headed for the only open shop on the island - nearly everyone else had the same idea...

Need I say more?

Also the aeroplanes were already flying to the island on a Sunday -so why not the ferries :p Tartan Mullahs alive and well !!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Staff deserve time off but would they prefer more hours? Not much can be done until public transport reaches at least a Saturday service

You make a very good point concerning the availability of public transport on a Sunday. There are many people who do not drive and can afford to run a car with all its associated insurance, maintenance and fuel costs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If USDAW are against the extension of Sunday Trading in England and Wales, ask what they are doing in Scotland to reduce the trading hours on Sunday up here. The first word begins with F and the second is All - Hypocrites :p

Have the Labour party and the TUC (obviously including USDAW) any hard and fast policy upon Sunday opening hours that affect union members who work on Sundays? The problem that you cite above is because Scotland has a different legal system to England and Wales.

Butts

Veteran Member
You make a very good point concerning the availability of public transport on a Sunday. There are many people who do not drive and can afford to run a car with all its associated insurance, maintenance and fuel costs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Have the Labour party and the TUC (obviously including USDAW) any hard and fast policy upon Sunday opening hours that affect union members who work on Sundays? The problem that you cite above is because Scotland has a different legal system to England and Wales.

My guess is that they would object to an increase in the hours permitted in England and Wales on a Sunday.

Thus my point their position would be untenable if they were not simultaneously campaigning for a reduction in Sunday opening hours in Scotland. Whats good for the goose......

SteveP29

There is a big 24h (Mon-Fri) Tesco near to me and a Tesco Express down the road from the big one. Tesco Express has a very limited range compared to the big store and still only closes at 2200. If I finished work in the late evening, then I would be stuffed if I needed something.

Imagine how it was on a Sunday when I was a kid in the 70's
The paper shop was the only shop that opened and it closed at Midday, if you didn'r get your Sunday paper and packet of tabs then, you HAD to wait till Monday.

Pubs opened 12-2 and then MAYBE 7-10:30

Me and my mates used to go out on our bikes after lunch and we used to see nobody on the streets, there were few cars, so the roads mostly belonged to us, these days, it's mostly like any other day

Butts

Veteran Member
Imagine how it was on a Sunday when I was a kid in the 70's
The paper shop was the only shop that opened and it closed at Midday, if you didn'r get your Sunday paper and packet of tabs then, you HAD to wait till Monday.

Pubs opened 12-2 and then MAYBE 7-10:30

Me and my mates used to go out on our bikes after lunch and we used to see nobody on the streets, there were few cars, so the roads mostly belonged to us, these days, it's mostly like any other day

I well remember those halcyon Sundays as well - but hell we managed :lol:

I think it should be a 7 day economy. Same hours all week.

Just as long as the benefits are shared out in wages and not just in shareholders payments.

This does also include offices and banks being available 7 days a week too. Not convenient being told that solicitor/bank/tax office/suppliers/builders etc are only open Mon-Fri. I work shifts. Not always convenient for me to be available during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.