• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sunderland to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

dojo

Hi :)

I'm looking for the cheapest way to get from Sunderland to Liverpool this Monday (27th July). I'm very happy to spend a while travelling (after 10am) if I can avoid the standard fare of £37.30 with a 16-25 railcard. I've also tried going from Newcastle (considering the Metro is cheap enough between the two towns) but still can't find a cheaper option.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashworth

Established Member
It can be done a little cheaper if you go via Carlisle and split tickets.
With a 16-25 railcard single fares are as follows:

Sunderland to Carlisle £8.85 (Anytime Day Single)
Carlisle to Lancaster £10.85 (Off Peak Day Single)
Lancaster to Liverpool £9.90 (Off Peak Day Single)
Total £29.60

A saving of about £8 and although it may take a little longer (only about 30 minutes longer) the scenery is much better. You just need to make sure that the train you catch from Carlisle to Wigan stops at Lancaster and then splitting tickets is OK.

tony_mac

Established Member
There are advance tickets available from Newcastle; particularly later in the day.
You get a total 50% railcard discount if you buy from the TPExpress website, but you usually can't book the through journey because their website can't cope with a slower route.

However, booking Newcastle to York, and York to Liverpool seperately, you can get it for £14.35.
£5.95 to York (14:12 - 15:21)
and £8.40 to Liverpool (15:40 - 18:00)

It should actually be £13.50 for the through journey; you could try and take that up with Transpennine express - I wish you luck!

What about Grand Central Trains from Sunderland to York then TPE York to Liverpool??

Im sure you can buy a Advance from York to Liverpool and It would work out cheaper going Sunderland to York with Grand central trains.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, possibly, if the timings work well. For a GC only Anytime (without the Day so valid for a month) return is 12 quid from York to Sunderland with a railcard, if it's a day trip then splitting at Hartlepool reduces this to about 9.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.