• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Super off peak rtn - break of Journey - Brighton/Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdq

I will be travelling tomorrow from Huddersfield to Brighton, returning on Friday, using a super off peak return at £126. I believe this allows me to travel either via Manchester or Leeds.

The restriction on the return portion of this ticket is that I can't leave Kings Cross before 18:15, or Euston before 18:45. This means the journey planners put the 1649 from Brighton to Victoria as my first available train (other than the slow one to St Pancras).

Am I right to think I can leave Brighton any time I like, then spend time in London before getting a train after 18:15? If so, will I get any grief from RPIs or barriers?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I will be travelling tomorrow from Huddersfield to Brighton, returning on Friday, using a super off peak return at £126. I believe this allows me to travel either via Manchester or Leeds.
Yes, the route is +Any Permitted, so for travel via London that's all the permitted routes from Huddersfield to London, plus all the permitted routes from London to Brighton.
The restriction on the return portion of this ticket is that I can't leave Kings Cross before 18:15, or Euston before 18:45. This means the journey planners put the 1649 from Brighton to Victoria as my first available train (other than the slow one to St Pancras).
If you wish to obtain an itinerary on an earlier train (not that it makes any material difference) use trainsplit.com and specify a longer interchange time.
Am I right to think I can leave Brighton any time I like
Yes, your ticket is issued from an origin outside the 'Network area', in this case Huddersfield, to a destination inside the 'Network area', in this case Brighton, so for travel via London there is no restriction between London and Brighton (and vice-versa for the return portion).

then spend time in London before getting a train after 18:15?
Break of journey is always permitted on the return portion of Off Peak Returns.
If so, will I get any grief from RPIs or barriers?

Thanks all.
Unlikely. It is possible to get grief when holding valid tickets, though most valid tickets are accepted without question.

cookie365

other than the slow one to St Pancras
I'd take St Pancras over Victoria unless every minute counts, and skip the tube completely.

Even if you're going via Manchester it's only a 5-10 minute walk round the back of the British Library to get to Euston.

gray1404

Established Member
Yorkie you said: "Yes, your ticket is issued from an origin outside the 'Network area', in this case Huddersfield, to a destination inside the 'Network area', in this case Brighton, so for travel via London there is no restriction between London and Brighton (and vice-versa for the return portion)."

Is this a rule found somewhere? In which case it could prove very helpful for me to know :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yorkie you said: "Yes, your ticket is issued from an origin outside the 'Network area', in this case Huddersfield, to a destination inside the 'Network area', in this case Brighton, so for travel via London there is no restriction between London and Brighton (and vice-versa for the return portion)."

Is this a rule found somewhere? In which case it could prove very helpful for me to know :)
It's in the restriction text, which you can find on brfares.com

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks all - very helpful.
I had looked at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ticket_types/restrictions/1L. If that had included the text about journeys starting/ending outside the Network area, I wouldn't have had to have bothered you all. Why does NRE only give half the story?
To keep things 'simple'? ;)

To be fair though, I guess they would argue that they are telling you all the restrictions that do apply, so any other part of the journey is, by definition, unrestricted.

Perhaps a simple reassuring footnote could be written, something like "For journeys involving a change of train, the only restrictions are those listed above, no other part of the journey is restricted" perhaps? I'm sure someone can come up with something better; that's just off the top of my head.

I personally think the old 'Saver' name and conditions were better, as people soon got to know that they were unrestricted except for the part of the journey out of, or into, London on the InterCity leg of the journey. Even 12 year olds were able to understand it. I wonder what the people who claimed that simple was complex would make of what the old Savers have become today! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.