• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarket Update (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
Tesco (Ely) : have apparently refound all their signage and announcements about staying on the 'safe side' and wearing masks if you can. Still lots of plastic around the tills. Still one door for entry and one for exit (which isn't terribly bad, but when coming from the railway station they're the wrong way around). Still on 'temporary' opening hours, closing at midnight rather than open 24 hours. However, only about 50% of shoppers were 'staying on the safe side' and the other half were rather daringly going around with their entire faces open to the elements. Which is pretty good going for around here.

Sainsburys (Ely) : new blue signs (ugh) asking us to wear masks if you can. And most were (again, not surprising for around here), probably 85% or so. The main pedestrian entrance still closes early for no apparent reason, so if visiting in the evening you have to go down stairs, walk through the underground car park, and up an escalator, rather than going through the door that is at street level. However, the plastic screens around the tills went a few months ago and hasn't reappeared since.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
Sainsburys (Ely) : new blue signs (ugh) asking us to wear masks if you can. And most were (again, not surprising for around here), probably 85% or so. The main pedestrian entrance still closes early for no apparent reason, so if visiting in the evening you have to go down stairs, walk through the underground car park, and up an escalator, rather than going through the door that is at street level. However, the plastic screens around the tills went a few months ago and hasn't reappeared since.

At my local Sainsburys I noticed they've dumped most of the plastic screens in a corner of the underground car park. What a waste of plastic, hopefully they can at least be recycled.

One thing I did notice - the fitting rooms in the clothing section are still closed. I've not been in the clothing section often, but I think they've been closed since the start of the pandemic.

And the Cafe seems to have closed for good, to be replaced by a Costa Express machine in the sandwich section.

Smidster

Tesco (Ely) : have apparently refound all their signage and announcements about staying on the 'safe side' and wearing masks if you can. Still lots of plastic around the tills. Still one door for entry and one for exit (which isn't terribly bad, but when coming from the railway station they're the wrong way around). Still on 'temporary' opening hours, closing at midnight rather than open 24 hours. However, only about 50% of shoppers were 'staying on the safe side' and the other half were rather daringly going around with their entire faces open to the elements. Which is pretty good going for around here.
On Tesco - They said yesterday they will not be going back to 24 hour opening in the future (at same time also announced they were closing a bunch more deli / hot food counters among other cuts)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

On Tesco - They said yesterday they will not be going back to 24 hour opening in the future (at same time also announced they were closing a bunch more deli / hot food counters among other cuts)
Indeed, two stories this week:
Tesco puts 1,600 jobs at risk

Tesco puts 1,600 jobs at risk as it ends overnight restocking​

Tesco has warned 1,600 jobs are at risk as it ends overnight restocking at some stores and converts some petrol sites to pay-at-pump during the night.
The supermarket's plans come a day after it announced the closure of its Jack's discount stores.
It said restocking shelves during the day would mean more staff could be on the shop floor at peak times.
Tesco boss Jason Tarry said the move would help it to run the business as "simply and efficiently as possible".
Overnight restocking will switch to the daytime in 36 big stores and 49 convenience stores.
The chain also plans to convert petrol stations in 36 stores to pay-at-pump only during overnight hours.
"We operate in a highly competitive and fast-paced market, and our customers are shopping differently, especially since the start of the pandemic," said Mr Tarry.
"We are always looking at how we can run our business as simply and efficiently as possible, so that we can reinvest in the things that matter most to customers."
This is just the latest in a series of restructurings at Tesco.
Over the last few years it's changed or axed thousands of roles as it overhauls the way it runs its stores to try to create a simpler business. All its big rivals have done the same as they try to compete with Aldi and Lidl.
And, of course, our shopping habits have changed.
Tesco, and all the grocers, have enjoyed bumper sales at Christmas and throughout the pandemic but they're all facing rising costs ranging from raw materials and freight to wage increases.
Last autumn Tesco announced it would make one billion pounds of savings over three years, to help offset inflation and to invest in the business to stay competitive.
Managing costs is going to be one of the biggest headaches for retailers this year and, like Tesco, they will all be looking at ways to become more efficient.
News of the shake-up comes after Tesco's announcement on Monday that it planned to close its Jack's discount stores and shut meat, fish and deli counters in 315 Tesco stores.
Daniel Adams, national officer at retail trade union Usdaw, said: "Tesco has informed us that they are looking to undertake a number of restructures across the business that could put around 1,600 jobs at risk. Clearly this will be incredibly unsettling for those who may be affected."
"We should not forget the role that key workers have played throughout the Coronavirus pandemic and to receive this news is devastating."
In a statement, Tesco said it had about 3,000 vacancies elsewhere in the business and it aimed to "offer alternative roles at Tesco for as many colleagues as we can".

and:
Tesco to shut down Jack's

Tesco to shut down its Jack's discount stores​

Tesco has said it will close down seven of its Jack's stores, while the remaining six branches will be converted into Tesco superstores.
The move will affect 130 jobs but Tesco said it will try and find alternative roles for the staff affected.
Tesco also said that meat, fish and deli counters at 317 store sites would be also be shut down because of changes in customer demand.
It launched Jack's in 2018 to tackle the threat from rivals Aldi and Lidl.
Tesco said that Jack's had enabled it to bring in new customers from other supermarkets.
Jason Tarry, chief executive of Tesco UK and Ireland, said: "We have learnt a huge amount from Jack's and this has helped Tesco become more competitive, more efficient and strengthened our value proposition, including through the launch of Aldi price match."
  • Christmas sales soar for Marks & Spencer and Tesco
  • Tesco depot staff suspend pre-Christmas pay strikes
"In turn, this has enabled us to consistently attract new customers to Tesco from our competitors over the last two years and we know they increasingly recognise the value they can find at Tesco," he added.
Chief executive Dave Lewis claimed that Jack's - named after Tesco founder Sir Jack Cohen - would be cheaper than Aldi or Lidl.
Jack's stores sold 2,600 products - far fewer than the 35,000 carried by a Tesco supermarket - with 1,800 branded "Jack's".
In the first six months after the launch, Tesco had planned between 10 and 15 Jack's stores for new locations, next to existing Tesco stores, and a small number of converted Tesco stores but a total of 13 were built.
The seven sites which will be closed are in Hull, St Helen's, Walton, Castle Bromwich, Middlewich, Barnsley and Liverpool North.
The sites which will be transferred to large Tesco stores are in Chatteris, Immingham, Edgehill, Rubery, Sheffield and Wakefield.
Staff working on the meat, fish and hot deli counters listed for closure in 317 of Tesco's stores will also be offered different roles.
The supermarket chain said the changes will "ensure" Tesco remains "focused and competitive in a fast-changing market".
"With the learnings from Jack's now applied, the time is right to focus on ensuring we continue to deliver the best possible value for customers in our core business," Mr Tarry added.
Tesco saw sales soar over Christmas and forecasted strong full-year profits in January. It said it expects annual income to hit the top end of forecasts at £2.6bn. Tesco's Christmas sales in the UK rose by 0.3% compared to the previous year and were 9.2% higher than the pre-pandemic festive period in 2019.

I was never a great one for shopping after midnight but I know some found it convenient.

What I will miss is the deli counter. Packet cooked meats, even in their so called 'Finest' range, are not that good. I suspect that the in-store bakeries will not be far behind. They already do a much reduced range with some items not as in-store as they would have you believe.

If I wanted the Lidl / Aldi expereince, I would already shop there!

Close down all the high street bakers, butchers etc by strong competition, then close down your own operation to save costs. The customer is king!

DelayRepay

Established Member
What I will miss is the deli counter. Packet cooked meats, even in their so called 'Finest' range, are not that good. I suspect that the in-store bakeries will not be far behind. They already do a much reduced range with some items not as in-store as they would have you believe.

I miss the deli and fresh meat counters. Both Tesco and Sainsburys near me have closed them. I am a single person so I always found it handy to be able to buy a couple of slices of ham, a couple of sausages etc. I don't really want a full packet.

MikeWM

Established Member
Indeed, two stories this week:
Tesco puts 1,600 jobs at risk

Not entirely clear to me from that if all Tescos, or just some.

In any event, ours starts restocking about 9pm every night and has done so for years - by 10pm it is difficult to get down some aisles for the number of cages in them.

Rare that I'd be there after midnight but it was nice to have the choice.

RuddA

I miss the deli and fresh meat counters. Both Tesco and Sainsburys near me have closed them. I am a single person so I always found it handy to be able to buy a couple of slices of ham, a couple of sausages etc. I don't really want a full packet.
I always use our local FoodPlus Polish shop now. Proper deli counter with 30-40 meats to choose from. Cheeses and raw meats also available.

PeterC

Established Member
First totally unmasked place I have been in was a garage in Chepstow today.

Our local Waitrose stores have stopped sanitising trolley handles but have kept the screens between self checkouts.

londiscape

I always use our local FoodPlus Polish shop now. Proper deli counter with 30-40 meats to choose from. Cheeses and raw meats also available.
Similar here - I stopped using chain supermarkets or their "express" equivalents back when lockdown first started and subsequently when the shopstasi started barking orders at people about masks, distancing, queues etc, and started instead making more use of our local Turkish-run shop where I could always be guaranteed to be treated courteously and like a real human being regardless of my own choices. Good range of meats and deli, olives, fresh fruit and veg, happy days.

Now I will only use them and other shops like them for in person food buying. Support the little local guys, only use the big PLCs if you have to.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Similar here - I stopped using chain supermarkets or their "express" equivalents back when lockdown first started and subsequently when the shopstasi started barking orders at people about masks, distancing, queues etc, and started instead making more use of our local Turkish-run shop where I could always be guaranteed to be treated courteously and like a real human being regardless of my own choices. Good range of meats and deli, olives, fresh fruit and veg, happy days.

I am lucky to have a local butchers shop in the village, which I started using more regularly during lockdown 1 to try to avoid the supermarkets. I've carried on using it, because the meat is excellent quality and only slightly more expensive than the supermarket (and I actually spend less as I can buy smaller quantities, e.g. a single chicken breast rather than a pack).

During Lockdown 1 I did most of my other shopping at the local Spar, but this is not something that I have continued because their range is limited, and their prices are very expensive (most items are double the price you would pay in a supermarket). So now I just use the Spar for extra bits that I need during the week.

I was very pleased to discover a local market stall selling fresh fruit and veg. Excellent quality and actually cheaper than the supermarket. So I will be using them in future.

But, much as I would love to, I don't think I'll ever get away from doing a regular supermarket shop.

Ediswan

Established Member
In my local Co-op, the audio announcements have changed to 'feel free to wear'. There are still some B&W A4 'must wear' signs, but I put that down to not having got round to removing them. There never has been any pressure from staff, or other customers, to wear one.

Status
Not open for further replies.