• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adsy125

That seems a very racist thing to say. I thought that sort of thinking had died out thirty years ago. Have you any evidence for that or is just your view?
My evidence for that is the fact that they are the only people who have had any problems when I've told them only one person per household is allowed in! And it is also the only group of people who have decided they should shout and swear at me, so sorry, but at least where I am that is the case.

Edit: To be clear, by any problems I mean something more than just a little moan or an 'Oh really' style response. And it is still a minority of this group who have very negative reactions, but it is only this group who have.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

farleigh

My evidence for that is the fact that they are the only people who have had any problems when I've told them only one person per household is allowed in! And it is also the only group of people who have decided they should shout and swear at me, so sorry, but at least where I am that is the case.

Edit: To be clear, by any problems I mean something more than just a little moan or an 'Oh really' style response. And it is still a minority of this group who have very negative reactions, but it is only this group who have.
Fair enough but I don't think that the poor response is because they are white (or for that matter old). Perhaps your sample group is too small to infer as much??

Darandio

Established Member
Fair enough but I don't think that the poor response is because they are white (or for that matter old). Perhaps your sample group is too small to infer as much??

This isn't an Ipsos Mori research group. If that is what they have experienced then that is what they have experienced. I don't see it as racist and don't see why the hell they should be questioned on what they have seen.

farleigh

This isn't an Ipsos Mori research group. If that is what they have experienced then that is what they have experienced. I don't see it as racist and don't see why the hell they should be questioned on what they have seen.
Well it is a forum so I thought I had the right to ask a question/raise a point which you may or may not agree with. I am not sure why you are writing in such an aggressive way but you are free to ignore my post.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Not "because they are old", but quite possibly because they are the group whose adult lives formed around Thatcherism and the selfish attitude it promoted?

Darandio

Established Member
Well it is a forum so I thought I had the right to ask a question/raise a point which you may or may not agree with. I am not sure why you are writing in such an aggressive way but you are free to ignore my post.

You have every right to question it but I think you could have done so without implying racism. The only opposing/annoyed behaviour i've observed so far related to supermarkets was from two white middle aged women. It's not a big sample size but is merely own experience, it's not racist to point that out.

farleigh

You have every right to question it but I think you could have done so without implying racism. The only opposing/annoyed behaviour i've observed so far related to supermarkets was from two white middle aged women. It's not a big sample size but is merely own experience, it's not racist to point that out.
Well that is fair enough although I don't see why anybody would feel the need to mention race. However the post I was referring to was generalising about old white men. Anyway - we can disagree.

Adsy125

I’ve no idea why they have acted the way they have, but I agree, as a white male myself I haven’t felt the need to get angry at any supermarket workers! (Slightly different as they’re my colleagues but you get the point). And I don’t think at any point I suggested it was due to age or race anyway, I only said that they were the only group who had responded poorly.

The reason I mentioned it was because there seems to be a view sometimes that younger people are me, me, me and inconsiderate of others, but that hasn’t been the case.

farleigh

I’ve no idea why they have acted the way they have, but I agree, as a white male myself I haven’t felt the need to get angry at any supermarket workers! (Slightly different as they’re my colleagues but you get the point). And I don’t think at any point I suggested it was due to age or race anyway, I only said that they were the only group who had responded poorly.

The reason I mentioned it was because there seems to be a view sometimes that younger people are me, me, me and inconsiderate of others, but that hasn’t been the case.
I understand - thank you.

al78

Established Member

It is not questioning what they have seen, it is questioning the flawed logic of hasty generalisations applied to a population from a small unrepresentitive sample size.

al78

Established Member

I can't help wondering if the people who hold that attitude are older people who are projecting their own selfishness.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Safeway had it in the 90s too!

I had an interview with Safeway, though I didn't get the job, when I was in the grad job market. They were well ahead of everyone else in IT terms - electronic price labels, for example, as well as self-scan and the reusable "greenboxes".

Morrisons, being a very traditional family business, unpicked pretty much all of it soon after their takeover.

AM9

Veteran Member
I had an interview with Safeway, though I didn't get the job, when I was in the grad job market. They were well ahead of everyone else in IT terms - electronic price labels, for example, as well as self-scan and the reusable "greenboxes".

Morrisons, being a very traditional family business, unpicked pretty much all of it soon after their takeover.
Just like Morrisons were very late in online ordering.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Store ordering in Morrisons was paper based until relatively recently.

Replying here to keep on topic of shops (context is what effect the bad weather forecast will have).

It also assumes that drizzle puts people off - I went out to grab some milk earlier in the middle of the drizzle and thought I'd be able to waltz straight into Lidl - everyone else must have had the same idea as there was a queue about 10 deep, not dissimilar to a friday morning when I last went in considerably better weather! Generally seemed to be as many if not more cars about than I last remember, so I'm not convinced that it does actually put people off in the way you might think it would - especially for those who can drive to shops, etc

I suspect people would be put off a trip to the supermarket (unless absolutely essential) if they had to stand in the rain for an hour. Raises the question of how this will be managed through the winter.

CrispyUK

I suspect people would be put off a trip to the supermarket (unless absolutely essential) if they had to stand in the rain for an hour. Raises the question of how this will be managed through the winter.
I’m sure I’ve seen one of the “how things will work” guides published by a supermarket (Tesco I think but not 100%) that said in poor weather they may direct you where to park and ask you to wait in your car, so sounds like they have plans for this.

Presumably, they will park shoppers up in order (much like managed parking at many attractions/events where you are marshalled in to fill each row/area) and then they can easily invite people from a few cars to enter the store at a time, saving the need to queue in the elements.

greyman42

Established Member
Replying here to keep on topic of shops (context is what effect the bad weather forecast will have).

Most supermarkets have some sort of awning where people can stand out of the rain.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m sure I’ve seen one of the “how things will work” guides published by a supermarket (Tesco I think but not 100%) that said in poor weather they may direct you where to park and ask you to wait in your car, so sounds like they have plans for this.

Presumably, they will park shoppers up in order (much like managed parking at many attractions/events where you are marshalled in to fill each row/area) and then they can easily invite people from a few cars to enter the store at a time, saving the need to queue in the elements.

And for shoppers who don't have a car? [I suspect the answer is "they get wet" ;) ]

I wasn't aware of any bad-weather measures supermarkets were taking/preparing - glad to hear they've thought about it.

CrispyUK

And for shoppers who don't have a car? [I suspect the answer is "they get wet" ;) ]
Haha yes, although they will probably be better weather-proofed from the journey than those arriving by car, and can hopefully take advantage of any limited sheltered areas the store has.

It's going to be fun queuing up for half an hour when it's frosty again.

My thoughts exactly - I hope they are in a position to deliver more food (in some form) to elderly people in particular by the time autumn/winter comes!

sheff1

Established Member
It's going to be fun queuing up for half an hour when it's frosty again.
My thoughts exactly - I hope they are in a position to deliver more food (in some form) to elderly people in particular by the time autumn/winter comes!

I hope that, by the time winter comes, queueing to get into a supermarket is a thing of the past ....

I hope that, by the time winter comes, queueing to get into a supermarket is a thing of the past ....

Seems unlikely to be a thing of the past by then if we are going to be under social distancing laws for the rest of the year.

AM9

Veteran Member
A lot of elderly people are better equipped for normal British winter weather than younger people who rarely go out on foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.