• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Yes, just let couples go in together. Security at the door must know they will reconvene once inside

And it isn't always possible to go shopping alone

Sounds to me like you can though, you just cannot stand authority and are intent on being as awkward as possible. Don't worry though, you aren't alone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Sounds to me like you can though, you just cannot stand authority and are intent on being as awkward as possible. Don't worry though, you aren't alone.

I am fine with authority when there is good reason and where it is fair and proportionate

There is nothing awkward about it. If a couple is able to go out for exercise together, then they can go shopping together.

Anyway, it is often quicker, if we get what we need separately and reconvene from time to time to dump everything in the trolley

Then, at the checkout, one places the shopping on the conveyor belt whilst the other packs at the other end. Much quicker than doing it alone

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
The shopping is the worst part of the whole affair. I am not good at shopping at the best of times.

Yesterday I set out (to a Waitrose) to do a large shop for a friend who is shielding and a smaller shop for myself.

Getting in - fine. Once inside I came as close as I ever have to having a panic attack or a breakdown.

Trying to work out what exactly to buy for someone else despite a very specific shopping list with people in front of and behind you looking put out that you're taking a minute.

Being forced into a one way system that unexpectedly takes you away from the aisles you wanted and realising that you can't get back to where you diverged in the first place. Shelving units blocking the end of aisles to funnel you around.

Missing a small but crucial item hidden in a range of non related items and realising only when it's not where you thought it would be that you have to go round again to get back to it (I had to pass through a checkout without paying).

Finding out the bread that you want isn't there because the shelving it's on has been pinched with the product still in place to provide a cordoned off area for NHS staff.

People lurching around corners without warning or darting in front of you to grab things.

The checkouts were fine, plenty of them and well organised.

The whole thing took 50 minutes and I left drenched in sweat and almost shaking. I cannot cope with being herded, my mind is not organised enough to manage having to know exactly where everything I want in the store is in advance.

I was quite happy with queuing last time I went and there was no one way system.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone else noticing price rises starting to kick in? I've just got back from my nearest Asda and several things are starting to go up, examples of stuff we regularly buy include:

4 cans of my favoured beer - 20p increase per pack
Cherry Tomatoes - 5p increase per pack
3 onions - 10p increase per pack
Frozen pizza - 10p increase per pack
Birds Eye waffles - 8p increase per pack
Mince - 16p increase per pack
Toilet blocks - 30p increase per pack!!
Pork Pie - 8p increase per pack
4 Toilet Rolls - 20p increase per pack

Plus many more

Add the fact that deals are remaining non-existent, the price of shopping is noticeably higher here.
I don’t buy any of the products you’ve listed (either at all or in those formats) but yes I have noticed rises on a number of products.

Further to that I am spending a lot more money on smaller “top up” shops. Normally I would do such shops at the larger supermarkets but I’m not visiting them due to queues or a change in my working arrangements, except for our main shop. For instance what I call good quality bread at Tesco or Asda’s; normally pay 59p (up from 55p earlier this year) but in most of the smaller shops this isn’t stocked so I’m spending over £1.00 on Warburtons (which is worse) or Hovis (which is equal).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@LowLevel sorry to hear that :(

My shopping habits have changed as I don't like long queues, but that's just a personal preference.

It is possible to get online deliveries now; I have found that with Tesco the longer term slots are only open for vulnerable people initially, to give them first choice, but closer to the time, any slots not taken by such people become available so I was able to get a delivery with about 4 days notice.

Also my local larger supermarket is back to being open until 9pm so I tend to go late when it's virtually empty. I would definitely recommend this! There is a particularly troublesome individual who used to hang around outside and is no longer able to, so it's a better experience than normal!

If I do want to go shopping during the daytime my local shop rarely has queues, and when they do they are quite short. The only downside of those queues is that those of us with good hearing can hear the high pitch noise to deter teenagers gathering, which I can put up with when briefly entering the shop but becomes annoying after a few minutes. I only had to queue once there though.

Last edited:

jbqfc

Me and the wife still go shopping together we are both key workers doing shifts so shopping time is limited

We go in the evening when it is generally quite but when we get in store we split up i get all the fresh goods + meat and the thing i know she will not be able to reach the wife get the rest, we also use scan and go one each so no queuing at the tills.

I don't drive so cannot do a large shop on my own and Clare is small and cannot reach stuff on high shelves and does not want to ask people for help

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
If a 1-in-1-out system is in operation, each couple who goes in (when one could have done the shopping alone) is an unnecessary delay to those behind.

Also, two people instead of one means a higher risk of spreading the virus. If someone else in the shop has it, then they could transmit it to either person in the couple - so a higher chance of it spreading to the couple's household. And if the couple both unknowingly have the virus, then either one of them might pass it onto other people in the shop.

Obviously that has to be balanced by the lower amount of time in the shop if the couple can genuinely shop faster because they are together.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Then, at the checkout, one places the shopping on the conveyor belt whilst the other packs at the other end. Much quicker than doing it alone

I'm actually somewhat puzzled by this. My experience at supermarket checkouts is almost always that I place stuff on the conveyor belt while the checkout person is serving the previous customer. By the time he/she is ready do serve me, my stuff is already on the conveyor belt, and I'm ready to start packing as soon as my stuff is being scanned. Usually the only exception is if the till is quiet and there is noone ahead of me in the queue, in which case the assistant will normally wait until all my stuff is on the conveyor.

I don't doubt your experience, but based on my experience, it seems surprising that an extra person could make much different to speed through the checkout and packing (I don't doubt it would make some difference, just doesn't seem like to be a huge amount).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't doubt your experience, but based on my experience, it seems surprising that an extra person could make much different to speed through the checkout and packing (I don't doubt it would make some difference, just doesn't seem like to be a huge amount).

It's probably more that groups will stand together discussing stuff, whereas one person with a list will shop as quickly as possible and get out.

Couples, as someone else said upthread, also have terrible spatial awareness, as they only concentrate on each other. So they're much more likely to stand blocking the aisle than an individual.

Non Multi

We are lucky to have an Aldi and Lidl near us (the local Sainsburys is too expensive at times). We gave up going to Asda years ago as their prices were not competitive.

Aldi and Lidl are cheap but the only gripe I have with our local Aldi is that my wife and I were not allowed to go in together. We had to wait, go in separately and then reunite once in the store.
Perfect time use phones as walkie talkies... "Just picked up the frozen peas, now flying in to the desert aisle, do you copy, over?"

nlogax

Established Member
It's probably more that groups will stand together discussing stuff, whereas one person with a list will shop as quickly as possible and get out.

Anecdotal evidence from shopping during lockdown supports this. Well, mine does ;)

Couples, as someone else said upthread, also have terrible spatial awareness, as they only concentrate on each other. So they're much more likely to stand blocking the aisle than an individual.

I was in a local Aldi last night, only a dozen or so people in there including a husband and wife couple who couldn't decided what they wanted - cue loud disagreements between the pair of them. Simultaneously they ignored the floor markings..as they approached the rest of us took backwards paces or swerved out of the way to keep our respective distances.

Meanwhile I managed to get everything I wanted, chuck it into four bags I bought with me and get in and out in under fifteen minutes, even with the spatial awareness tango. It's perfectly feasible for most people to not be welded to their other halves for a simple shopping trip. It's not meant to be a social event or 'quality time' - if you're on lockdown with someone and you spend all your time together then maybe try shopping by yourself. You may even enjoy the experience..

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Meanwhile I managed to get everything I wanted, chuck it into four bags I bought with me and get in and out in under fifteen minutes, even with the spatial awareness tango. It's perfectly feasible for most people to not be welded to their other halves for a simple shopping trip. It's not meant to be a social event or 'quality time' - if you're on lockdown with someone and you spend all your time together then maybe try shopping by yourself. You may even enjoy the experience..

My parents said at a cousin's wedding that the secret of a good marriage was not spending every waking hour with each other. Difficult at the moment, but I do know they are going for walks on their own and not shopping together at the moment, and sometimes watch different TV programmes in different rooms.

nlogax

Established Member
My parents said at a cousin's wedding that the secret of a good marriage was not spending every waking hour with each other. Difficult at the moment, but I do know they are going for walks on their own and not shopping together at the moment, and sometimes watch different TV programmes in different rooms.

Completely agree. It's difficult to maintain personal space at this present time in our lives and I think there's only so many molecules of joy that be gleaned from spending half an hour together milling around a supermarket. It's healthy to take these opportunities of proper alone time where we may otherwise feel 'hemmed in' at home.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
I'm actually somewhat puzzled by this. My experience at supermarket checkouts is almost always that I place stuff on the conveyor belt while the checkout person is serving the previous customer. By the time he/she is ready do serve me, my stuff is already on the conveyor belt, and I'm ready to start packing as soon as my stuff is being scanned. Usually the only exception is if the till is quiet and there is noone ahead of me in the queue, in which case the assistant will normally wait until all my stuff is on the conveyor.

No. I/my wife are not allowed forward to put stuff on the conveyer until the person in front has packed, paid and walked away

Islineclear3_1

Established Member

We don't. During normal life, we pass like ships in the night during our work and only really get to spend quality time with each other at the weekend

And as I've said upthread, it's quicker (for us) to have one load up the shopping (at the till) at one end whilst the other packs it at the other end. Much quicker than if you're doing it alone

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And as I've said upthread, it's quicker (for us) to have one load up the shopping (at the till) at one end whilst the other packs it at the other end. Much quicker than if you're doing it alone

If you're buying more than a conveyor worth yes, but if the speed of checkout bothers you just go to Aldi, it's not possible to do it quicker.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's where I do most of my shopping...

Then you'll know that you don't pack at the checkout, so what you say does not apply. The system is that you put it on the conveyor, then move your trolley to the other side of the checkout, then throw it all in the trolley, then take it away to the packing shelf to pack at your leisure.

I must admit I prefer this, as I can pack bags in a more systematic way - one for the fridge, one for the freezer, one for the cupboard etc. Saves time on getting home.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Then you'll know that you don't pack at the checkout, so what you say does not apply. The system is that you put it on the conveyor, then move your trolley to the other side of the checkout, then throw it all in the trolley, then take it away to the packing shelf to pack at your leisure.

Which means I have to stand close to other people all doing the same thing....

AM9

Veteran Member
... Lots of people treat it as a family/couples trip. There is no enforcement of 'one person per trolley' for two reasons - firstly, there are a multitude of reasons why somebody might genuinely need two family members to go in, secondly the verbal and physical abuse of the staff attempting to enforce it. It can be suggested that people can come alone, but there are still large numbers of adult couples or families of 5 all coming to do an ordinary weekly shop. Again, this is frustrating, and really only impacts the others waiting in the queue. If the current queue system continues but people return to work, hopefully there will be less of this as people aren't tempted to see it as something to stave off the collective boredom. ...
I couldn't disagree more about the impact on others of those couples entering the store. I did a medium-size top-up in this morning's 'wrinkly hour' at our local Waitrose, (bread and some fruit rarely lasts more than 4 days without going mouldy). There was a couple in the queue in front of me (M + F) of similar age to me. There was a contract security person manning the door and he just let them both walk in together despite there being notices to the contrary. Shortly after, the female decided that she wanted some flowers (obviously essential but that's another issue). She walked back past several following shoppers and spent about two minutes handling half the bunches and deciding what she wanted. She then tried to push back the her co-shopper who was just standing there waiting for her. Shortly after that there was another pause to debate their next item to purchase, blocking the entire end of aisle. I managed to move past them asap. Then there was another couple, he dawdling along slowly down the middle of the aisle, her darting backwards and forwards past anybody in her way. These couples wouldn't have got in together had the normal security person, or one of the loaned JL staff been on the door.
I mentioned it to one of the staff who said that they would report it to the floor supervisor. I cannot think of a "multitude of reasons" why shopper would need to shop in store mob-handed.

Qwerty133

Established Member

I must admit I prefer this, as I can pack bags in a more systematic way - one for the fridge, one for the freezer, one for the cupboard etc. Saves time on getting home.
Aldi has extra long conveyor belts and there is more than enough room for one (and in many cases 2) customer(s) to be unloading their shopping while someone else is reloading theirs, even if they are all 2 metres apart. However I have to say that I miss my university Aldi where the staff would happily push peoples shopping back into their trolleys if they weren't dealing with it quick enough and customers using baskets were also required to repack into the basket rather and sort their bags at the packing shelf. Unfortunately the Aldi I now shop in isn't close to as efficient and quite frankly some of the staff need to redeployed away from the checkouts at the current time as their lack of checkout speed is causing queues to pay half way down the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.