• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
I'm also surprised that for the past few weeks while non essential shops have been closed that people have been able to take trips to the supermarket to specifically purchase cigarettes. I for one can't understand how these things could ever have been considered an "essential item". And surely it would have done some good had the sale of these cigarettes been suspended for the past 3 months.

As it even increases the risk of contracting COVID - 19 and developing severe diseases from it.
"A small but highly impactful survey from China finds that smokers with COVID-19 are 14 times more likely to develop severe disease.
In addition, the repetitive hand to mouth movement provides an easy route of entry for the virus, putting smokers at greater risk of contracting COVID-19."
If you were to ban cigarettes you would just create a black market for them. As for essential items, I don't drink milk so would not miss it if there was none in the supermarkets yet it would be classed as an essential.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
That does seem to be quite a 'killjoy' attitude.

Alcohol is non-essential too. You could probably eliminate anything that brings enjoyment to people if you really wanted to but what would be the point of that? People would just be more miserable.

Ssshhh! Don't give the killjoys the idea! There are people out there who seem determined to bring society down to their level of misery, and would love to see the government ban anything that makes this nightmare a bit easier. Mind you if they tried to get between me and a drink or two.... Well let's just say it wouldn't end well... :E

Silverlinky

Was in tesco's Northampton earlier, no queue to get in, which was a first for a few weeks, but it seems they are letting more people in at a time because inside it was busier than before. Pretty much everything is back in stock normally now.
You see all sorts of people in Tescos, from those who religiously stick to the one way system, to those who think the lines and arrows on the floor are just decoration. Many more people with face masks on, although many don't cover their noses, just mouths. Families are back, the whole "one person one trolley" thing seems to have gone away.

The best entertainment though is seeing the shoppers in masks who will wait at the end of an aisle until you are far more than two metres away before entering the same aisle, holding up others to the extent that they just push past and enter the aisle anyway and then lean over you to get what they want......one extreme to the other!

WestCoast

Established Member
I have found shop floor staff completely ignoring the 2m rule is every one of the supermarkets near me (Morrisons, Lidl, Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose) except Sainsbury's where the staff seem to be following it to the letter. In fact I was in Morrisons last week and one of their staff members just started stacking the shelf right next to me and they had a group of staff chatting away together stood right by the self-scan. I worked three years for a large green supermarket part-time so I know what a thankless job it can be but I don't think they've received enough training and reinforcement on it, certainly in the case of that branch of Morrisons. In fact, I think I'd completely boycott the place entirely but I'm limited since the Lidl across the road never has any eggs when I'm in otherwise I would do all my shopping there.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If you were to ban cigarettes you would just create a black market for them.

Exactly. To be fair, cigarettes is one area that Governement tax revenues will be holding up, as no one will have been able to pop abroad for a ‘duty free’ fag run for a while, therefore more people will be paying full price (which, perhaps, might be encouraging people to give up of course).

Silverlinky

I have found shop floor staff completely ignoring the 2m rule is every one of the supermarkets near me (Morrisons, Lidl, Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose) except Sainsbury's where the staff seem to be following it to the letter. In fact I was in Morrisons last week and one of their staff members just started stacking the shelf right next to me and they had a group of staff chatting away together stood right by the self-scan. I worked three years for a large green supermarket part-time so I know what a thankless job it can be but I don't think they've received enough training and reinforcement on it, certainly in the case of that branch of Morrisons. In fact, I think I'd completely boycott the place entirely but I'm limited since the Lidl across the road never has any eggs when I'm in otherwise I would do all my shopping there.

the thing is, you say it’s a ‘rule’ when in fact it isn’t a rule, it’s only guidance. 2 metres is not enforceable in any circumstance or any environment. Is it training or could it be that some retailers follow the guidelines more closely than others?
I shop at the same store each week, and it’s noticeable that the number of staff on the shop floor ‘directing’ people around the one way system has decreased. The majority follow the guidance and have become accustomed to it, for the rest they were never going to comply....!

WM Bus

Ssshhh! Don't give the killjoys the idea! There are people out there who seem determined to bring society down to their level of misery, and would love to see the government ban anything that makes this nightmare a bit easier. Mind you if they tried to get between me and a drink or two.... Well let's just say it wouldn't end well... :E
On the other hand in regards to the point that smoking "brings joy to people", I just read this on the NHS website, which does suggest that stopping smoking improves mood.

"Most smokers say they want to stop, but some continue because smoking seems to relieve stress and anxiety.
It's a common belief that smoking helps you relax. But smoking actually increases anxiety and tension.
Smokers are also more likely than non-smokers to develop depression over time.

In fact, it's the effects of smoking itself that's likely to have caused the anxiety in the first place.
Cutting out smoking does improve mood and reduces anxiety.

When people stop smoking, studies show:

And where it is allowed I think it should never be done in public areas like, busy outdoor areas, in a supermarket or on public transport. Where it can interfere with others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we please stick to the thread topic which is about Supermarkets and COVID-19. If anyone wants to discuss anything else they are welcome to start a new thread.

route101

Established Member
Mrs BR had an interesting exchange at Sainsbury’s yesterday. As normal, she didn’t use the sanitiser spray to wipe the trolley handle down. The lady queuing behind her to get in made a rather pointed remark, as she was cleaning her own trolley, along the lines of ‘you should clean the trolley handle, as you don’t know how many people who used it before might have the virus.’

Mrs BR gave her the withering stare I get roughly 8 times a day, and pointed out that she’d watched about 50 people using the sanitiser spray bottle in the previous 15minutes, and that the trolley was therefore the least of her concerns. Apparently the other lady froze mid trolley clean, not quite sure what to do!

At my local morrisons , all the baskets were laready sanitised. No need to do it. Had a few people looking at my basket when ive been going around the store, just give the evil stare back , though they could be my neighbours.

Jayden99

Through this whole situation I've been relatively relaxed about distancing in supermarkets, keeping my distance where possible and accepting that you're occasionally going to come within 2 metres of people when you're indoors, just a quick sorry and we all move on with our lives, but I went to the Slough Extra yesterday and it was probably the most aggro I've found myself getting, no one following the one way system or trying to keep their distance, just barging right past you if you stop to get something from a shelf. Maybe this was just a particularly bad day and I can only speak for one supermarket, but maybe people are starting to get fed up with the restrictions

Bantamzen

Established Member
There is of course one fatal flaw with the one way system in large supermarkets. Because of large queues forming down the isles, it is now impossible to adhere to them without having to spend much more time in the supermarket, which is kind of against the point. Quite honestly it is almost comical to see people religiously following the arrows only to head down one isle with a queue for the checkout and then sneak back without being noticed. And my local Co-op has doubled up on the silliness by having the final two isles in the same direction, meaning you practically have to loop around the store. Needless to say most locals have all but abandoned it and just head for what they need.

If there was any measure to this crisis that was more pointless in the spirit of "look like we are doing something", this one has to be at the top.

bramling

Veteran Member
There is of course one fatal flaw with the one way system in large supermarkets. Because of large queues forming down the isles, it is now impossible to adhere to them without having to spend much more time in the supermarket, which is kind of against the point. Quite honestly it is almost comical to see people religiously following the arrows only to head down one isle with a queue for the checkout and then sneak back without being noticed. And my local Co-op has doubled up on the silliness by having the final two isles in the same direction, meaning you practically have to loop around the store. Needless to say most locals have all but abandoned it and just head for what they need.

If there was any measure to this crisis that was more pointless in the spirit of "look like we are doing something", this one has to be at the top.

At my local big Tesco it seems to be working reasonably well, but no doubt this is partly because the store is sufficiently spacious. They’ve also set it up so the queue for checkouts is down just one aisle at the very end of the store (the wine aisle!) so this works reasonably well too.

By contrast every Sainsbury’s I’ve been to has been a total shambles. In fact I’ve thusfar not even got as far as getting into my local one as every time the queue has been so long that it’s just put me off at the first hurdle. Likewise the one next to one of my workplaces has been a shambles.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Genuinely - I’ve not seen any obviousl one way systems in the big supermarkets, and therefore haven’t been complying with them if they are there!

WestCoast

Established Member
the thing is, you say it’s a ‘rule’ when in fact it isn’t a rule, it’s only guidance. 2 metres is not enforceable in any circumstance or any environment. Is it training or could it be that some retailers follow the guidelines more closely than others?
I shop at the same store each week, and it’s noticeable that the number of staff on the shop floor ‘directing’ people around the one way system has decreased. The majority follow the guidance and have become accustomed to it, for the rest they were never going to comply....!

I was picking something off the shelf in my local Morrisons and a member of staff came to put something on the shelf next to me at far less than one metre distance. This was at 8.30pm with the store very quiet. I also experienced staff speaking to each other at far less than one metres distance. I'm sorry but they are not following good practice so I won't go in that store anymore. My other local supermarkets have been better but that Morrisons has been poor.

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Genuinely - I’ve not seen any obviousl one way systems in the big supermarkets, and therefore haven’t been complying with them if they are there!

The only supermarket chain I've seen it used is Tesco and at none of the others so I wouldn't worry! I think it's a daft idea anyway.

Lockdown has been a great influencer in going on a diet for me and I am finding that not eating out and cooking sensibly is leading to a good amount of weight loss.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The one way system in the large Tesco in Stevenage (must have been set up properly as that's where they filmed their TV advert) is a but of a nightmare. When I went shopping there customers were not following the one way system at all. The aisles are generally wide enough that a one way system isn't needed so I'm not really sure why they've done it. IMO it just causes more confusion than necessary.

bramling

Veteran Member
The one way system in the large Tesco in Stevenage (must have been set up properly as that's where they filmed their TV advert) is a but of a nightmare. When I went shopping there customers were not following the one way system at all. The aisles are generally wide enough that a one way system isn't needed so I'm not really sure why they've done it. IMO it just causes more confusion than necessary.

You should go to Baldock instead, that store has always tended to be more “well regarded” than Stevenage! Baldock has worked absolutely fine IME.

I would certainly expect Sainsbury's staff to stick to rules as there have been auditors going around both Sainsburys and Argos stores checking that the rules are being complied with.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don’t understand why you would want to encourage customers to do smaller shops anyway, all it will do is encourage people to go shopping more often, which is surely completely missing the point. If you have people coming in less frequently, say weekly, which would only be an issue for a very small minority, they are putting themselves, and more importantly the staff and other customers at much greater risk.
Sometimes you can’t help it, especially when stock control is a bit flaky. For a while now (even pre-Covid) we tended to do fortnightly shops, but still need to pop in for bread, milk, fruit and fresh items that can’t freeze, as well as for items which aren’t in stock when I do the main shop.

I suspect other shops aren’t incentivised to allow this as they have convenience formats which rarely, if ever, seem to have queues, whereas we all know what happened to Morrisons foray into that market.

WestCoast

Established Member
I would certainly expect Sainsbury's staff to stick to rules as there have been auditors going around both Sainsburys and Argos stores checking that the rules are being complied with.

The service at my nearby Sainsbury's Local has been superb, they have been doing a great job and from conversations, seem to be boosted with a couple extra staff from Argos to keep the shelves full. I live in a small flat on my own with a small fridge and I don't own a car so I can't bulk buy too much - it's been a great help having such a good shop close by. I think I'll write in because the staff go above and beyond, seen them helping out elderly people multiple times and are just generally staying postive.

WestCoast

Established Member
Sometimes you can’t help it, especially when stock control is a bit flaky. For a while now (even pre-Covid) we tended to do fortnightly shops, but still need to pop in for bread, milk, fruit and fresh items that can’t freeze, as well as for items which aren’t in stock when I do the main shop

Pre-covid I was away from home with work up to 2-3 nights a week sometimes more so I never set up my living situation to be able to stock up on weekly. I'm able to stuff my fridge for 4-5 days ahead now if I'm creative but it's just not possible for some people to stock up on everything.

Enthusiast

It would be far better if they were not referred to as "rules". They are not rules. They are practices which supermarkets have decided to adopt. But as mentioned above, they are often a waste of time.

ASharpe

It's just not safe to have staff telling customers what to do. Same with the one person per trolley idea*.

At first there was an argument for educating customers and also deterring theft and/or hoarding.

*There are a lot of vulnerable people who need help with shopping and don't want someone do it for them. Better for customers to know the guidance and make a choice than have someone try to enforce a rule.

timothyw9

In the case of shops (like Co-op, Sainsburys Local etc) I personally think that it causes more issues than it solves. As you are forced to follow the one way system through the shop, everyone just ends up walking right behind each other - as opposed to a free flow system where you can avoid congested aisles. Given the chance of transmission when going past somebody for a split second is low, people tend to overtake/pass you anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Was wondering what other people thought of the deployment of one way systems in places like shops ...
In my experience they definitely don’t work, they turn a simple task into a moderate hike and provide only a tiny advantage compared to just squares on the floor where you can go in any direction. It’s going to have to be accepted sooner or later that people will pass you within less than 2m on occasion, and the risk from this is minimal, if not zero, that the use of one way systems just aren’t justified in my opinion

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I agree they just complicate things in supermarkets and create needless conflict. It's also very annoying if, halfway through your shop, you remember you need to buy something you've already passed. What do you do - turn round and defy the arrows or go round the entire circuit then start at the entrance again? Either way it means you spend longer in the shop than you would have done, which surely increases the (admittedly minimal) risk of infections.

A classic case of "elf'n'safety" busybodies trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

londiscape

Agreed, they are idiotic and are only passable for the (i suspect) minority who have a) an encyclopedic familiarity with the location of every item in the shop and b) a precise planned shopping list. I'll call it the Nicholas Parsons shopping experience - no deviation, hesitation or repetition.

All this nonsense just makes it all the more hellish for the majority, a lot of which (particularly in non-car-owning cities) will only be visiting supermarkets in person because they can't get delivery slots anymore, and therefore won't be familiar with the layout and will have to go hunting for everything.

Not going to catch covid from briefly passing people in aisles or picking up a tin of beans next to someone who is not openly spluttering everywhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They work well only in shops where the layout suits them. For instance, my nearest Co-op, a converted pub, has one very obvious way round it that everyone takes anyway. Similarly with a 4-aisle Aldi. However, a 5-aisle supermarket mucks it up.

If this has to go on for a long time the shops will need to be redesigned (i.e. move shelving around etc) to make it make sense.

scotrail158713

Established Member
They work well only in shops where the layout suits them. For instance, my nearest Co-op, a converted pub, has one very obvious way round it that everyone takes anyway. Similarly with a 4-aisle Aldi. However, a 5-aisle supermarket mucks it up.

If this has to go on for a long time the shops will need to be redesigned (i.e. move shelving around etc) to make it make sense.
Agreed. It works well in certain shops but not in others. For example, my local Aldi has 4 aisles so it works very well. However the Co-Op has 3 aisles so the third aisle is blocked off at the end and has been made two way - if a third of the shop is ok to be two-way then surely the whole shop should be?

Bantamzen

Established Member
In certain situations one way systems might make sense, but in supermarkets they are just chaotic and idiotic, especially when queues start to form down the isles because people are queuing 2m apart. Its what happens when committees are tasked with something they don't fully understand, but are desperate to be seen to be doing something. Its normally reserved for the public sector, but it seems during the crisis the lunacy has spread to the private sector too...

Status
Not open for further replies.