• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
I'm sure their twitter team would love to hear about this!

I considered this. But really I think it was someone on the phone at head office not understanding, and I'm not wanting anyone to lose their job over it. I'm no longer one of their customers, and that's retaliation enough for me.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I considered this. But really I think it was someone on the phone at head office not understanding, and I'm not wanting anyone to lose their job over it. I'm no longer one of their customers, and that's retaliation enough for me.

I'd say if any NHS staff are being denied access outside of the reserved hours then someone really does need to lose their job!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Sainsbury's refused me entry because I'm an NHS worker. I was told 7.30 to 8am was "my time". Wasn't trying to queue jump or anything, the rent a thug on the door recognised me from a previous 7.30am visit.

That's harsh. Think I might redeem my Nectar points elsewhere now. I don't find their food any better quality really but if it's your local, fair enough.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd put something in writing. I'd be very surprised if Sainsbury's sanctioned that as official policy.

YorksDMU

So, this morning, I had to go back into Tesco, in Beverley, for some carrots which are out of stock, but today, in addition to how it was yesterday, there is now no one at the door, no queues at all, and no two metre markings. Just how it was before all the distancing started and all the othe restrictions etc., Again, I felt quite safe, and everyone was going about their shopping without any problems.
Asda, in Beverley, is still operating an in store queue for the checkouts, along with a oneway system, which is actually not enforced. Perhaps they are waiting to see how it pans out with Tesco before removing such things themselves.

MikeWM

Established Member
Sainsburys in Ely has been mostly fine throughout. A minor irritation in that at some point on April they closed the more convenient entrance for pedestrians so we all have to trudge around the car park to get in/out, but other than that it has remained fairly normal. Occasional queues outside, but if you go at the right time you rarely see one - in fact they usually don't have anyone on the door anymore at 'quiet' times. Inside pretty close to normal - no-one-way system, very few masks, a few easily-ignored markers on the floor.

To be fair, Tescos have been ok too. They did put in a one-way system and a lot more signage than Sainsburys, but no-one seemed to care less about following it. Which was fortunate, as there didn't appear to be any mechanism whatever to get to the pharmacy if you tried to follow the one-way system, which seemed a slight oversight :) I see they are back opening until midnight now, which is much better for me than 10pm. Hopefully back to 24 hours at some point. If it ever stops raining here, I'll head down and see if it is back to 'normal' now.

I lost patience with Waitrose early on, as they seemed to only let about 4 people into the whole supermarket at any one time, and the guy on the door was wearing some elaborate mask apparatus that looked like he was investigating a chemical spill, which I found rather off-putting. I also object to the way Waitrose's self-service machines don't take cash (admittedly that's been the case for some years now, but I still find it annoying).

Haven't been to Iceland or Aldi recently.

(Given Ely is only about 20,000 people, we do quite well for supermarkets :) Large rural catchment area I guess).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I lost patience with Waitrose early on, as they seemed to only let about 4 people into the whole supermarket at any one time, and the guy on the door was wearing some elaborate mask apparatus that looked like he was investigating a chemical spill, which I found rather off-putting. I also object to the way Waitrose's self-service machines don't take cash (admittedly that's been the case for some years now, but I still find it annoying).

I would imagine the number of people who pay cash in Waitrose is very low (to the extent that I'd say if any major supermarket goes card only across the board, they'll be first). While there are exceptions, the "cash economy" tends to exist in poorer demographics who would more likely be shopping in one of the German discounters or Asda.

talldave

Established Member
....I lost patience with Waitrose early on, as they seemed to only let about 4 people into the whole supermarket at any one time, and the guy on the door was wearing some elaborate mask apparatus that looked like he was investigating a chemical spill, which I found rather off-putting.
There's no like button on here but thank you, that just set me off laughing uncontrollably!!

MikeWM

Established Member
I would imagine the number of people who pay cash in Waitrose is very low (to the extent that I'd say if any major supermarket goes card only across the board, they'll be first). While there are exceptions, the "cash economy" tends to exist in poorer demographics who would more likely be shopping in one of the German discounters or Asda.

That's not my experience in Ely, though I will concede Ely is probably not an entirely typical Waitrose location.

The mini-Waitrose in Cambridge has about 6 card only self-service tills, and some number of people (usually one) on a manual till. I've had to walk out of there without getting what I wanted a number of times, because the queue for the manual till has been so long while the card-only self-service tills sat there mostly unused.

bramling

Veteran Member
There's no like button on here but thank you, that just set me off laughing uncontrollably!!

My local Waitrose has two rather well-spoken (the types who are rather obviously putting it on!) people by the doors, with everyone given a brief lecture on the various rules. On the occasion we had issues they were, needless to say, wearing their masks round their neck. To be fair, once in store all was reasonably sensible.

To be honest I don’t really like Waitrose at the best of times, I find their range restricted, and the store cramped. I only ventured in there to buy a retirement cake for someone, although must admit their hand gels smell nicer than ones from elsewhere!

adc82140

Established Member

I've been tempted to ask the person on the door at Boots, who wears a face shield, respirator mask and thick gloves how their tree felling is going.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
That's not my experience in Ely, though I will concede Ely is probably not an entirely typical Waitrose location.

The mini-Waitrose in Cambridge has about 6 card only self-service tills, and some number of people (usually one) on a manual till. I've had to walk out of there without getting what I wanted a number of times, because the queue for the manual till has been so long while the card-only self-service tills sat there mostly unused.
I suppose that's 'nudge theory' in practice, persuade people to behave a certain way (cashless) by making the alternative (cash till) wholly unattractive but still theoretically possible - so no-one can claim 'discrimination'. The cash-point at my local Tesco has been out of action for a couple of weeks. I did wonder if they were up to the same trick, it is back in working order this morning though.

I suspect Virgin Trains were trying the same 'nudge theory' at Stoke-on-Trent ticket office (after it's fire and refurbishment), lots of new ticket machines, one person on the ticket desks, lots of 'helpers' directing people to the ticket machines. They soon relented.

Why do companies try to force their 'big clever' ideas upon us when people have pushed back when other businesses have tried it previously and they had to backtrack?

Self-service tills, and contactless, should follow the demand rather than force it on people.

As for queing systems to get in, one still exists at my local Tesco supermarket as of 1200 today. I didn't go in (only needed cash) so cannot comment on any removal of the one-way system inside nor a single queue for all staffed tills.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I've been tempted to ask the person on the door at Boots, who wears a face shield, respirator mask and thick gloves how their tree felling is going.
They might have to seek out that alternative career soon, given the potential closure of stores. Hey, lets discourage people from visiting our stores, oh we aren't making any money, where have all the customers gone?

Non Multi

The demographic must be skewed towards older, wealthier customers though. Those aren't particularly known for their love of new payment methods.

SJN

I know. I went to boots during lockdown whilst on my break. I wanted to buy Clinique face creams which aren’t cheap. All access to Clinique counter blocked off as they considered them as non essential. I got them directly from Clinique online instead. I just found this a bit daft. If a ship is open I should be able to buy what I need/want.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I know. I went to boots during lockdown whilst on my break. I wanted to buy Clinique face creams which aren’t cheap. All access to Clinique counter blocked off as they considered them as non essential. I got them directly from Clinique online instead. I just found this a bit daft. If a ship is open I should be able to buy what I need/want.
You could legally. It was the shop playing silly idiots. Now they (or the workers) pay the price for their poor decisions. B & Q re-opened, eveything in store was available for sale, people moaned 'but that's not essential', the government confirmed it was entirely accetable. As per grassing up shops selling easter eggs because they were non-essential.. If you're in the shop anyway, what is the additional risk buying a couple of extra items? Minimal I suggest.

SJN

I bought loads of stuff in the supermarkets including Easter Eggs, alcohol, sweets, books. All non essential but all available. Boots was the only place I had a problem.

adc82140

Established Member
My mother in law was borderline bullied by the staff in Boots. The experience left her in a terrible state. Whilst I feel sorry for anyone losing their jobs, given the attitude of the staff there I'm not surprised they are in trouble.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I went to the large local Boots on monday, hardly anyone in it. So maybe if you deter your customers they might not come back so quickly, who could have guessed!

superjohn

The demographic must be skewed towards older, wealthier customers though. Those aren't particularly known for their love of new payment methods.
There was a hilarious discussion on a local town‘s Facebook chat page last week. The OP was asking if the local Waitrose was accepting cash. Cue numerous clueless replies about legal tender and how you could take them to court if they refused cash etc. It’s easy to see how these myths get spread.

On the matter of self service tills, I firmly believe there should be a minimum age limit to use them. Anyone over 59 just can’t do it and it is painful to watch. Let them queue and grumble about not doing the shop’s work for free while I zip through on the super till.

Scrotnig

You could legally. It was the shop playing silly idiots. Now they (or the workers) pay the price for their poor decisions. B & Q re-opened, eveything in store was available for sale, people moaned 'but that's not essential', the government confirmed it was entirely accetable. As per grassing up shops selling easter eggs because they were non-essential.. If you're in the shop anyway, what is the additional risk buying a couple of extra items? Minimal I suggest.
It didn't help when the police threatened to search people's shopping bags to ensure they hadn't bought anything non-essential.

The police of course had absolutely no legal right to do this, but that doesn't seem to stop them these days.

YorksDMU

Regarding Boots. Back in mid April, I needed a dental repair kit. I went to try and get one. At the door was a stern looking female member of staff. She asked what I wanted and I explained. She said I ought to have brought a list with me, but she would try and find one. There was one left, so she handed it to me, and I was let in to pay for it.
On reaching the checkout, the assistant said that actually I should have given her the list so she could have got it off the shelf for me, whilst I waited at the checkout, but she would excuse me just that once. So I made payment for it, but have not been back since.

Andyh82

Established Member
Just had a look on twitter and many are complaining about Tesco removing the one way systems, so not everyone feels the same as people do here.

MikeWM

Established Member
Just had a look on twitter and many are complaining about Tesco removing the one way systems, so not everyone feels the same as people do here.

Naughty Tesco, wanting all those grannies to die :)

Problem is, this will be the reaction to *everything* that moves us back to sanity. At some point we just have to do it anyway.

greyman42

Established Member
Other supermarkets are available to those who feel this way. The isles in the big Tesco's are not exactly narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.