• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pne

Tell me about Londis, please?

I’ve seen that name come up a couple of times while looking for "supermarkets in <Place>" on Google Maps, e.g. in Truro and Newquay.

TheEdge

Established Member
The traditional big chains - Tesco/Morrisons/Sainsbury's/Asda - of these, I'd say Sainsbury's is probably slightly more well heeled than the others.

I always tend to think of Sainsbury's being in a class of one. To me its not in the same bracket as Tesco, Morrisons and Asda quality and clientele wise but its not as middle class as Waitrose and M&S.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tell me about Londis, please?

I’ve seen that name come up a couple of times while looking for "supermarkets in <Place>" on Google Maps, e.g. in Truro and Newquay.

Londis is a convenience store rather than a supermarket. They are much smaller and tend to be a bit more expensive than the normal supermarkets. NISA, One Stop and Budgens are similar.

Co-op is another one which is obviously a Co-op but they are not that widespread.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Co-op is another one which is obviously a Co-op but they are not that widespread.

Oh yes, I forgot about Co-op. Quite unfairly as they do far and away the best microwave curries of all of them !

richw

Veteran Member
I always tend to think of Sainsbury's being in a class of one. To me its not in the same bracket as Tesco, Morrisons and Asda quality and clientele wise but its not as middle class as Waitrose and M&S.

Londis is a convenience store rather than a supermarket. They are much smaller and tend to be a bit more expensive than the normal supermarkets. NISA, One Stop and Budgens are similar.

There is a co-op in truro City centre.

There is an independent convenience store opposite truro bus station. Generally convenience stores are expensive.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Budgens is a bit of a mixed bag. Most are convenience stores, but there is one near me that isn't much smaller than an Aldi. I think they are either mostly or all franchised - this is usually visible on the sign. They are perhaps a bit like Edeka in Germany in that regard, though they don't get quite as big.

Depends on your location, they seem quite clustered.

Neil

"Sainsbury's - keeping the riff-raff out of Waitrose"?

Of course, the best supermarket is without doubt Booths (think Waitrose but better), but you don't get those outside the North West.

Neil

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Londis, like Spar, is a co-operative buying organisation and all the stores are individually owned. You certainly wouldn't choose to do a large shop there, unless you desperately needed things at 10 p.m. on a Sunday - eve then, they wouldn't have half the things you want!
Asda, it should be mentioned, is part of Walmart.
The only Waitrose in Cornwall is near Saltash, a mere mile or two from the Tamar and Devon.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, I think Netto were taken over by Aldi.

Asda. But they have now relaunched in co-operation with someone else (Sainsbury's I think?)

Neil
Londis, like Spar, is a co-operative buying organisation and all the stores are individually owned.

Same with Nisa.

"One Stop Shops" are owned by Tesco and are an inferior version of Tesco Express.

Neil

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Asda. But they have now relaunched in co-operation with someone else (Sainsbury's I think?)

Neil

Yes Sainsburys have joined in partnership with the netto group and have opened a number of netto branded stores in the north.

Yew

Established Member
Its Aldi-Sud I believe the version we have.

Most of the products in both Aldi and Lidl here is still in German packaging which contains multi lingual stuff.
From Lidl, I bought stuff in Greece in Lidl in exactly the same packaging as the UK, so I guess all of Europe too.

Having used Hoefer (Aldi in Austria) It contained the same core line of products, with regional variations

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

The Co-operative Group owns more than 2,500 food stores nationally.

There's then the independent Societies (eg. Central England, Midcounties, East of England, Southern etc.) who between them operate around another 1,500 stores, giving a total of around 4,000 Co-op food stores.

By comparison Tesco have around 2,500 UK stores and Sainsbury's around 1,200.

TheEdge

Established Member
There's then the independent Societies (eg. Central England, Midcounties, East of England, Southern etc.) who between them operate around another 1,500 stores, giving a total of around 4,000 Co-op food stores.

Huh, well there you go. Never knew it was anywhere near that big. Even just the basic Co-op branded part.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They probably just aren't as spread out as others though. For example in Sherwood, Nottingham there are two Co-ops within 30 seconds walk from each other on the same side of the same street! I think this may have been due to the Somerfield takeover, although I'm not 100% sure tbh

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/coop+sherwood/@52.9834159,-1.1480916,16z

They've got a store in every postcode area but they're generally small stores and not as visible as the out of town variety.

In Newport Pagnell High Street they've got two stores literally opposite each other!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0...!1e1!3m2!1suz43cJDB-DZqByvuFDWFqQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

LateThanNever

So I have the choice between (as the Germans say) the Plague and Cholera? :D

Yes, though ‘our’ Aldis are Aldi-Nord, which is a different company from Aldi-Süd (the owners are brothers). I think they’re fairly similar, though.

I wonder what the UK ones are like; visiting an Aldi in Denmark was a rather otherworldly experience as some of the goods were ones I knew from our German shelves (sometimes even in German packaging!), while others were typically Danish products such as liver pâté. So a shop that was simultaneously familiar and exotic.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if UK Aldi were similar: partly German, partly British in its range of goods stocked.

You'll find that Aldi in the UK has become quite anglicised - much of the reason for their greater success than Lidl. They began by thinking the UK was part of Europe. They now discover [for food shopping! -I'm in favour of Europe!] that we are not.
Of course the UK has for long shopped differently from Germany where they go for mainstream junk at cheapest prices and then also go to the delicatessen for something decent at a higher price. Tesco in the UK has tried to replicate this in the one store, in my view quite successfully in theory, but it is a bewildering display, and of course, unlike a deli, there is no knowledgeable assistance for the posh stuff!
No, I think Netto were taken over by Aldi.

Netto UK were taken over by Asda. Now J Sainsbury have entered into a joint venture with Netto to trial Netto stores in - broadly -the North West of England, with a view to a more substantial roll out..

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If you shop in Waitrose you're liable to bump into Anthony Worral Thompson - he revealed in an interview in a Sunday newspaper he now shops there rather than Tesco! He, of course, disproved Tesco's written notice in all their stores that they 'always prosecute shoplifters'. Before anyone says he's innocent until proved guilty (a) he freely admits his guilt in the article and (b) he accepted a police caution in relation to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.