• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Surrey to Sussex rail fare journey help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BingBong50

I am hoping to do the following journey this Friday 23rd August and would much appreciate advice on the best fare.

Departing before 9-30am
Disabled Rail Card
Standard class

Outbound - Coulsdon South to Rye via St Pancras International and Ashford International
My own arrangements during the day
Returning - Cooden Beach to Coulsdon South via Eastbourne and Gatwick Airport

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'd imagine that an Anytime Day Return from Coulsdon South to Rye routed "Any Permitted +" at £31.50 with your Disabled Railcard is going to be impossible to beat given you want validity on HS1 and along the coast.

Any destination further west (eg Hastings) doesn't offer validity via HS1. Any further east (eg Ashford) and you can't go via the coast.

Veteran Member
I'd imagine that an Anytime Day Return from Coulsdon South to Rye routed "Any Permitted +" at £31.50 with your Disabled Railcard is going to be impossible to beat given you want validity on HS1 and along the coast.

Any destination further west (eg Hastings) doesn't offer validity via HS1. Any further east (eg Ashford) and you can't go via the coast.

St Pancras to Rye alone is £30.05 - so from Coulsdon you've got a bargain.

paul1609

Established Member
I am hoping to do the following journey this Friday 23rd August and would much appreciate advice on the best fare.

Departing before 9-30am
Disabled Rail Card
Standard class

Outbound - Coulsdon South to Rye via St Pancras International and Ashford International
My own arrangements during the day
Returning - Cooden Beach to Coulsdon South via Eastbourne and Gatwick Airport

Many thanks
It depends on your exact timings and whether you are happy to be tied to advances.
Because the Marshlink service is only hourly assuming you are able to make the standard connection times at Ashford International (its a change from platforms 5/6 to 1C/2C), the first train from St Pancras that has a Marshlink connection that you would make with a 9.30ish departure from Coulsdon South would be the 10.37 which currently has £14.40 advances available (with railcard) to Rye. Advances from Cooden Beach to Coulsdon South are available with a railcard for £3.30. Cheapest for Coulsdon to St Pancras would be payg Peak Oyster (disabled railcard enabled) at £4.35

BingBong50

Thank you for all your replies.
I would be purchasing the ticket on day of travel and aiming to leave Coulsdon South around 7am allowing extra connection time at Ashford International.

paul1609

Established Member
Rye is my local station, if you are leaving as early as 7 am and need to go via St Pancras and HS1 the £31.50 fare mentioned above will be your best bet.
However that route to Rye is neither the quickest or easiest.
The quickest route is via Redhill, Tonbridge and Ashford Int about 40 mins quicker. This has a route "Not via London" Anytime Day Return at £22.95 which could also be used for your return journey.
It is also possible to go via Haywards heath and Eastbourne however if you arrive at the Eastbound platform at Rye the short access to the station building and town centre is via a stairs only footbridge. The step free access is via a footpath at the East End of the platform, over the level crossing at the Ashford End of the passing loop and then back through the station car park.

Status
Not open for further replies.