• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sussex Scot & Virgin Trains from Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager 2093

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I wanted to know whether anyone knew the routing that Arriva XC would use from Brighton to Manchester and also the Virgin Trains from Paddington to Manchester.

My mind is taking a trip down memory lane, I remember back in 2006, I was at Gatwick and I heard an explosion through the platform, I tried seeing what it was but to no avail. I later found out it was a Virgin Voyager. I do miss the old days.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I've a recollection of using the Sussex Scot Brighton to Kensington Olympia years ago (Mk2s and a 47) but also of sitting on a Voyager at Acton Wells on one occasion.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Brighton-Manchester was initially via the West London Line/WCML in the mid-80s when first introduced, but since the early 90s was consistently via Kensington Olympia/Acton Wells to reach Reading.

In Voyager days some Gatwick services ran via Guildford.

The ex-Paddington services were always direct via the GWML to Reading.

Southern Dvr

AXC also ran via Streatham Common-Streatham-Tulse Hill-Herne Hill-Wandsworth Road-Kensington Olympia as well.

I used to catch the Sussex Scot from Crewe as it was routed via Manchester Piccadilly then over the windsor link to Bolton and back on the wcml at euxton junction

route101

Established Member
How busy were these services down past Reading?

Noticed a Reading to Glasgow XC last Saturday . Not often you get one of them now

Whistler40145

Established Member
Not forgetting that there was the chord onto the GWML to the north of Kensington Olympia that became part of the Eurostar depot

a_c_skinner

Established Member
It was the Eurostar depot closing the cord to the GWML that took the services via Acton Wells and onto the slow lines until somewhere near Hanwell IIRC.

big all

On Moderation
we worked several off the brighton over the years when i was at redhill [pre 1994] from croydon to reading or oxford and visa versa interwoven with reading drivers covered them' all via old oak clapham jct non stop
over the years we worked something like 0345 oxford [ex manchester about 2140]to east croydon arr about 05.50.
about 11.10 reading to croydon.
somthing like 13.45 east croydon to oxford.
brighton drivers brighton to croydon .

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Noticed a Reading to Glasgow XC last Saturday . Not often you get one of them now
Happens a few times most years as a result of engineering diversions somewhere in the midlands. Basically to keep relatively normal timings on the ECML they swap the end destinations around. Trains that normally terminate in Newcastle run through, and trains that usually run through from the southwest into somewhere in Scotland terminate at Newcastle. Someone will probably have a more detailed explanation, but that’s the short version.

It happened again yesterday:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/SOU/2020-02-29/0600-2000?
stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XC

You’ll see Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow all served from Southampton via Reading.

Last edited:

superjohn

As late as 1998 and 1999 the deltic hauled summer Saturday Ramsgate trains were routed via the WCML and Willesden to Kensington Olympia, on the Southbound run only though. The northbound working ran via the GWML and Reading as per the Brighton trains.

Voyager 2093

Brighton-Manchester was initially via the West London Line/WCML in the mid-80s when first introduced, but since the early 90s was consistently via Kensington Olympia/Acton Wells to reach Reading.

In Voyager days some Gatwick services ran via Guildford.

The ex-Paddington services were always direct via the GWML to Reading.

Thanks for mentioning it, I completely forgot about Acton Wells to connect to the GWML.

D1537

The daytime Manchester-Brighton and return (which had a number of destinations over the years, notably Derby), 1O74 and 1M41, went via Reading as long as I can remember, certainly from the mid-80's. 1O74 (along with the morning Portsmouth service, 1O34) was an oddity in that it changed to diesel at Coventry.

Status
Not open for further replies.