• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sutton Tunnel electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
With regards to possible future electrification between Warrington Bank Quay and Chester, would Sutton tunnel need to be rebuilt to give space for the wires? From the photo here http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/sutton_tunnel/ it looks like there is a fair bit of space above, but obviously it may be lower further into the tunnel

In my opinion (from the picture ) if the cantilever for electrification for both lines was attached in the middle there should be enough room. Without me walking the tunnel it would be difficult to comment further. However, a thorough inspection maybe needed and although not the same as Farnworth, it maybe decided that the tunnel is not in great condition and may need lining (Gunnite/Shotcrete or similar. Even so, with a lining there may even be enough room.

furnessvale

Established Member
With regards to possible future electrification between Warrington Bank Quay and Chester, would Sutton tunnel need to be rebuilt to give space for the wires? From the photo here http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/sutton_tunnel/ it looks like there is a fair bit of space above, but obviously it may be lower further into the tunnel

Impossible to say without a full survey, but even in your photo I can detect a distinct flair in the arch as it seems to close up further into the tunnel.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
In my opinion (from the picture ) if the cantilever for electrification for both lines was attached in the middle there should be enough room. Without me walking the tunnel it would be difficult to comment further. However, a thorough inspection maybe needed and although not the same as Farnworth, it maybe decided that the tunnel is not in great condition and may need lining (Gunnite/Shotcrete or similar. Even so, with a lining there may even be enough room.

Survey dependent of course, but Series 1 back to back SICs on a single shared drop tube, or rigid overhead conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.