• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SVR Diesel Gala 05

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy

very nice pic's there i did not know if that was you or not sorry

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
andy said:
After speaking to you both I can confirm you both saw/heard each other but both were too shy to speak to each other in case you got the wrong person. It's not the first time that's happened and it won't be the last! I'm sure you'll meet another time.

I usually get out of that dillema by asking someone else to ask. ;)

andrewmay

Thanks again for the compliments. I like your idea Yorkie. I should have asked my dad to talk to you as he'll talk to anyone!

Cheers,
Andrew

David

Established Member
yorkie said:
andy said:
After speaking to you both I can confirm you both saw/heard each other but both were too shy to speak to each other in case you got the wrong person. It's not the first time that's happened and it won't be the last! I'm sure you'll meet another time.

I usually get out of that dillema by asking someone else to ask. ;)
Like Metcam at Crewe when you spotted Loiuse T? ;) :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Harry Potter said:
Like Metcam at Crewe when you spotted Loiuse T? ;) :lol:
Yes. No-one believed me but.... I told you so ;)

The look on your face was funny when Bluecont said your name out of the blue at Crewe. :lol:

The most bizarre one was when I met Matt Spencer, he got off a train at Stoke as I got on, so I didn't think it was him. But we figured it out when he got on the same train back! :lol:

Craig

Established Member
yorkie said:
The most bizarre one was when I met Matt Spencer, he got off a train at Stoke as I got on
IIRC the same thing happened when you saw me at York a while back.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Craig said:
yorkie said:
The most bizarre one was when I met Matt Spencer, he got off a train at Stoke as I got on
IIRC the same thing happened when you saw me at York a while back.
I remember seeing your face on the platform as I was doing HO and thinking 'I recognise him from somewhere'!

When i got home I realised!

The Gricer

Perhaps we should all wear some sort of badge or even just a coloured dot or something similar when out and about. Something inconspicuous to most people but instantly recognizable to other forum members. I've often looked at people with cameras at the end of station platforms and wondered if any of them are members of RailUK.
You tend to get an impression of what someone looks like just from the style of writing in their posts. Often this impression is totally wrong. For instance sometimes the most gobby (for want of a better word!) people on the forum turn out to be the quietest and shyest when you meet them in person!:lol:

Frank

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Gricer said:
Perhaps we should all wear some sort of badge or even just a coloured dot or something similar when out and about. Something inconspicuous to most people but instantly recognizable to other forum members. I've often looked at people with cameras at the end of station platforms and wondered if any of them are members of RailUK.
Good idea. Not sure if it's feasible but worth considering!
The Gricer said:
You tend to get an impression of what someone looks like just from the style of writing in their posts. Often this impression is totally wrong. For instance sometimes the most gobby (for want of a better word!) people on the forum turn out to be the quietest and shyest when you meet them in person!:lol:
Yes, impressions are often wrong! I can't think of anyone on RailUK who is really gobby here and quiet in real life, however I do know what you mean from other forums.

I can think of a few people who are incredibly 'gobby'/abusive (and say things that are perverted and sick) on the internet yet when you meet them in real life they act normally. One such person is the highest visitor of my Fotopic site, makes sick/disgusting/'gobby' comments on the internet, but in real life I met him briefly a couple of times and I got no abuse.

The Gricer

yorkie said:
Yes, impressions are often wrong! I can't think of anyone on RailUK who is really gobby here and quiet in real life, however I do know what you mean from other forums.

I can think of a few people who are incredibly 'gobby'/abusive (and say things that are perverted and sick) on the internet yet when you meet them in real life they act normally. One such person is the highest visitor of my Fotopic site, makes sick/disgusting/'gobby' comments on the internet, but in real life I met him briefly a couple of times and I got no abuse.

Yes, I should perhaps have said that I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular in my last post, it was just an extreme example to explain the sort of thing I meant. i.e. that people aren't always quite the way you imagine them to be from their posts.

As for the type you mention above I guess some folk feel they can be somewhat outrageous whilst hiding behind the (relative) anonymity of the internet. Whether this is them showing their true inner self or whether they just do it for effect, who knows?

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.