• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SVR diesel gala

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOVER29

So who is going to the gala starting Thursday 16th?
I’ve just got the two days off work, Thursday & Friday. Thursday I turn 51 so will be going out for drinkies so that days out which leaves just the Friday.
Not interested in a particular engine or class. Just going for the laugh & atmosphere. Not even planning the day so winging it & see what happens.
Getting dropped off & picked up at the Railway station so not driving the 120 odd mile around trip which means I get to keep my driving license as no doubt I’ll be suffering silently from the previous days birthday booze crawl.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

curly42

Was planning to go on the Friday and Saturday,but the loss of 41001,together with rumours of the class 44 being dodgy,make it look like a one day event for me now.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
41001's not going? Well that means I'm definitely not going to move budgets around for it after all. I'd forgot this event was happening until recently, so it would have taken a considerable effort to attend any of the days due to my rota, but for 41001 I'd have made an effort.

Oh well, never mind!

curly42

41001 will be at Kidderminster,but static exhibit only. 47749 will be covering its duties.

JohnMcL7

I've been toying with going down as it looks a great selection of locomotives although it's a long way for me (450 miles) and plane or train look to be expensive, the car would make more sense as I could stop off on the way up and down but it's a long way on my own. I know there was one two weeks ago a bit further north but got mixed up and thought that was this weekend, I'm wondering now whether to see what Bo'ness have as it's a lot closer.

curly42

Now confirmed on the SVR site that the Class 44 will not be running,replaced by Warship D821.Visitors include 66789 and 88006.

HOOVER29

Visited the SVR gala yesterday.
Fair to say more rain fell than was forecast especially at Bewdley.

37688 looked fantastic
88006 was ok
55019 was mega loud as usual
D1062 was a beast
As was D821
Ditto 50007
Ditto 40106
Ditto 46010
Ditto 50035 (very loud & down on power apparently)
Ditto 25185
D3201 + D4100 were different.

Gala seemed to run ok and as usual it attracted the “I’m here for the biggest numpty competition” and my idiot radar was off the scale at times but stayed well away from them.
All day long people could be heard saying “if we do that to there then we can’t do that run & we’ll miss that loco” seen one lad actually arguing with his mate at bewdley over a loco move!
Really!!

Didn’t plan anything, no moves nothing, just winged it & found the day was so much more stress less & enjoyable & had 12 different lots of motive power for just over £20.

Happy days.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It was nice and dry in Hereford!

Sounds like you had a good day, and I must admit I do try and plan my moves on a gala. Until it goes belly up and I have to plan on the fly that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.