• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SW Railways Rules on Hair Colour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblondon

I have an assessment with SW Railways and was wondering if they have a strict policy on hair colour. Mine is dyed a bright darkish red and I’d like to know if that’s going to go against me or if I need to dye it a darker colour beforehand.
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I have an assessment with SW Railways and was wondering if they have a strict policy on hair colour. Mine is dyed a bright darkish red and I’d like to know if that’s going to go against me or if I need to dye it a darker colour beforehand.
Thanks!
They have a policy on non natural hair colours as part of their uniform standard for frontline staff. However, yours would probably pass as a natural colour as its not bright blue or green or something I guess? :E:E

I Can't say definitively, but as long as as it's not really garish and is tidy, I doubt you'll have a problem.

KlaudiaV43

Thanks!

I don’t think it will be an issue. Certainly not during the assessments, interviews, etc! It’s nothing “too extreme” either. I don’t have my hair dyed, but I do have a couple piercings, and I managed to get a job offer. :)

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I've seen railway staff covered in tattoos which I personally don't like but we now live in the 21st century where visible diversity is embraced by any respective employer. As long as your appearance doesn't cause offence you should be absolutely fine.

LCC106

Established Member
You could always raise the matter yourself, ask if it would be an issue “because I am willing to dye it if required to comply with company standards.” That way you are demonstrating commitment to the company and answering any doubts they may have.

[.n]

They have a policy on non natural hair colours as part of their uniform standard for frontline staff. However, yours would probably pass as a natural colour as its not bright blue or green or something I guess? :E:E

I Can't say definitively, but as long as as it's not really garish and is tidy, I doubt you'll have a problem.

is this new, i have seen other colours being used by staff

Stigy

Established Member
I've seen railway staff covered in tattoos which I personally don't like but we now live in the 21st century where visible diversity is embraced by any respective employer. As long as your appearance doesn't cause offence you should be absolutely fine.
Not the case unfortunately. This isn’t the police, where that is of course generally how it works. Private companies can basically set down whichever uniform/appearance standards they like, as long as they’re being diverse and adhering to the Equality Act. Hence SWR’s uniform standard policy, which I’d imagine most TOCs have a version of.

As I said though, in terms of hair colour, as long as it’s not bright green or blue or something, I think @Sblondon will be fine.

Sblondon

Thanks everyone, it is pretty bright - the nearest I can match it to is like a strawberry jam kind of shade so I reckon I’ll have to change it
I’d be really disappointed if I didn’t and that was the reason I didn’t get the job...

Status
Not open for further replies.