• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swanage to Wareham from 13th June announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
The 4-TC can operate in push-pull mode (it did so when it was last at Swanage IIRC) but it is not fitted with any equipment to permit this on the national network (or LUL, for that matter).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
One of the locos does support Southern region multiple working, meaning it could be driven from the 4TC unit (which has a driving cab at each end for just this situation). However, a member of staff told me that the top-and-tail is a Network Rail requirement. I wonder if this is because the 4TC unit isn't equipped with the suitable (eg) TPWS equipment? Has it worked on the national network as a driving vehicle at any time recently?

Would the ex mail train PCVs have TPWS fitted?

VEP3417

I've never seen it work off the LU railtours TBF ;)

thats true actually, hence now its down in my direction i wouldnt mind going on it as i always seem to be busy when an lu one is on and one of them was cancelled last time i Was going to go :(

pinkpanther

One of the locos does support Southern region multiple working, meaning it could be driven from the 4TC unit (which has a driving cab at each end for just this situation). However, a member of staff told me that the top-and-tail is a Network Rail requirement. I wonder if this is because the 4TC unit isn't equipped with the suitable (eg) TPWS equipment? Has it worked on the national network as a driving vehicle at any time recently?

33111 can work push-pull with a 4TC set, but it's not mainline registered so not permitted to work to Wareham. Although 33012 (D6515) *is* mainline registered, as a 33/0 it can't work push-pull.

I can't speak for the status of the 4-TC re TPWS etc.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/our-r...railway-upgrade-plan-update-2017-2018-wessex/

The level crossing at Wareham will be closing by 2019:

(from the pdf that can be viewed from the above page)
Level crossings
We are continuing our programme of closing level crossings,
and making alterations at others.
In the year ahead: We will make improvements at Ashtead
level crossing and close Buriton level crossing.
By 2019: Additional crossings will be closed, including
Wareham, Waterloo Road and Feltham West. We will also
make safety improvements at White Hart Lane.
Passenger benefits: Improved safety for level crossing users.

Once the level crossing is closed and Swanage can use the bay, would that allow for both earlier and later trains than what is currently being run in the trial?

Muzer

Established Member
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/our-r...railway-upgrade-plan-update-2017-2018-wessex/

The level crossing at Wareham will be closing by 2019:

(from the pdf that can be viewed from the above page)

Once the level crossing is closed and Swanage can use the bay, would that allow for both earlier and later trains than what is currently being run in the trial?
The bay? You mean the sidings? Or are there (sensible IMHO!) plans to bring the bay platform at Wareham back into use as well?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The bay? You mean the sidings? Or are there (sensible IMHO!) plans to bring the bay platform at Wareham back into use as well?

The bay platform. The level crossing is what's in effect stopping them from using the bay platform atm, as they're not allowed to use the crossover they need to use to access the bay platform whilst the level crossing is open

theironroad

Established Member
The bay platform. The level crossing is what's in effect stopping them from using the bay platform atm, as they're not allowed to use the crossover they need to use to access the bay platform whilst the level crossing is open

There is no bay platform at Wareham.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When the Wareham area was resignalled, was any provision put in place in the signalling for the bay platform to be re-instated?

DerekC

Established Member
This needs some further explanation from somebody who knows the area (not me).

It's clear from a combination of Google Maps and Quail that there was a bay on the up side, connected to the up main at the down end of the station. There is an existing trailing crossover further west which would enable trains from the Swanage Branch approaching on the bi-di section of the down main to access the bay. All makes sense. There is a foot crossing (and a footbridge) at the up end of the station, with another trailing crossover beyond it. So presumably the current problem is that a locomotive run-round is not allowed because it would pass over the foot crossing twice - hence the need for top and tailing. The local council has a plan to build ramps up to the footbridge to eliminate the foot crossing - hence the thread. However that doesn't seem to be anything to do with the bay - in fact if the bay could be reinstated (at a cost of umpteen million) it would be great for DMUs and push-pull operation but wouldn't help the current operation at all.

Maybe someone from the current operation could confirm my guesswork (or not)!

XDM

I visited last weekend. It is clear that Wareham station once had 4 platforms, 2 through up platforms, the existing through down platform & a bay on the down side, now part of the car park. The down bay would be the one to restore, as trains to & from the Swanage line could run on the bi directional down line from Worgret junction without interfering with main line trains on the up line.
Restoring the down side bay,despite it having a platform face, would cost trillions using Network Rail's orange cast of thousands. However if the rules were changed to allow third parties, like the Swanage railway, to put back the bay it could be done for a non comic sum to allow a very practical long term solution. But it depends on passive provision already made by NR for signaling the bay. Has that been done ?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I visited last weekend. It is clear that Wareham station once had 4 platforms, 2 through up platforms, the existing through down platform & a bay on the down side, now part of the car park. The down bay would be the one to restore, as trains to & from the Swanage line could run on the bi directional down line from Worgret junction without interfering with main line trains on the up line.
Restoring the down side bay,despite it having a platform face, would cost trillions using Network Rail's orange cast of thousands. However if the rules were changed to allow third parties, like the Swanage railway, to put back the bay it could be done for a non comic sum to allow a very practical long term solution. But it depends on passive provision already made by NR for signaling the bay. Has that been done ?

Perhaps you could have the Swanage railway build the track in the platform and just leave NR to install the points and signal when the platform line has been completed.

Muzer

Established Member
What are you on about? The level crossing is on the far side of Wareham station. If they were reinstating the bay (which I've not heard about), accessing it wouldn't have anything at all to do with the level crossing.

You're probably thinking of the turnback sidings which are the "wrong" side of the level crossing compared to the station.

Muzer

Established Member
This needs some further explanation from somebody who knows the area (not me).

It's clear from a combination of Google Maps and Quail that there was a bay on the up side, connected to the up main at the down end of the station. There is an existing trailing crossover further west which would enable trains from the Swanage Branch approaching on the bi-di section of the down main to access the bay. All makes sense. There is a foot crossing (and a footbridge) at the up end of the station, with another trailing crossover beyond it. So presumably the current problem is that a locomotive run-round is not allowed because it would pass over the foot crossing twice - hence the need for top and tailing. The local council has a plan to build ramps up to the footbridge to eliminate the foot crossing - hence the thread. However that doesn't seem to be anything to do with the bay - in fact if the bay could be reinstated (at a cost of umpteen million) it would be great for DMUs and push-pull operation but wouldn't help the current operation at all.

Maybe someone from the current operation could confirm my guesswork (or not)!
The use of locomotives shouldn't really matter long-term since they're hoping to have the DMU ready by the end of the summer...

Firesprite

Passive provision for the up bay was included as part of the re-signalling program. Reinstatement of bay is a future goal.

Last edited:

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Passive provision for the bay was included as part of the re-signalling program. Reinstatement of bay is a future goal.

Though presumably passive provision for the up-side bay - XDM was referring to the somewhat less obvious down-side bay, which is now the site of the station car park.

341o2

Established Member
At this rate, the 37 and the 4TC will be back next year

341o2

Established Member
The services commenced with with the 37 at the Swanage end and SR's own D6515 at the Wareham end. The 4TC unit has then replaced by the LUL unit.

A visit last week, WCR 33025 replaced D6515

The SR site is showing M7 as working Sat/Sun only, all other services being diesel hauled

Last edited:

Dhassell

On the 4TC set today was 33025 on the Swanage end and 37518 on the Wareham end.

Status
Not open for further replies.