• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swanage to Wareham services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schweir

Does anyone know if there has been any progress with this potential route?

I thought that SWT (now SWR) were close to getting a service to Wareham/Poole up and running.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
As far as I am aware, there are no plans for a service to Poole, the aim has been to reach Wareham, and I get the impression that the SR has rather stretched itself in the extra costs hiring main line stock and the collision between 80146 and 34070, plus poor weather during July/August and the inability to run a full steam service.

No immediate prospects for any of the 3 Bulleids entering service and only one visitor for the aultumn steam gala with one of the resident diesels taking part.

I am a member of the society and hope my pessimism is unfounded

Marty_P

No immediate prospects for any of the 3 Bulleids entering service and only one visitor for the aultumn steam gala with one of the resident diesels taking part.

That's a great shame - the spring Bulleid pacific weekend was so good. Hope your post does prove to be pessimistic.

bishdunster

As far as I am aware, there are no plans for a service to Poole, the aim has been to reach Wareham, and I get the impression that the SR has rather stretched itself in the extra costs hiring main line stock and the collision between 80146 and 34070, plus poor weather during July/August and the inability to run a full steam service.

I am a member of the society and hope my pessimism is unfounded

Sadly according to the website the Autumn steam gala is now cancelled :(

341o2

Established Member
It is still planned for the Ivatt tank to visit the railway.

Since the collision between 80146 and Manston, the railway has struggled to maintain a steam service, with considerable diesel substitution.

Contingency plans to use the T9 came unstuck when a major mechanical problem was discovered. Also, the M7's ticket is about to expire, so there are only two steam locos servicible at present

The railway has decided that addressing this situation should take priority over holding the gala

341o2

Established Member
Can anyone answer

1. the M7 has been avaliable "weekends only"? Any reason?
2. 80104/46 is "out of service" on the website, I thought it had been returned to service
3. Any progress on 34072 which was originally planned to enter service at the gala, or indeed 34028, which I believe parts are stored at various locations?

emil

Can anyone answer

1. the M7 has been avaliable "weekends only"? Any reason?
2. 80104/46 is "out of service" on the website, I thought it had been returned to service
3. Any progress on 34072 which was originally planned to enter service at the gala, or indeed 34028, which I believe parts are stored at various locations?
The M7 being 111 years old is very delicate and rotating locomotives has preserved it use until the boiler ticket expires
80104/46 is in use with 31806
34072 further tests were needed according to Southern Locomotives website http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/News/news.html with the bolier. Also details on there about 34028.
Ivatt Tank is still due to visit when the original gala was arranged and will run on the blue timetable

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I hope to visit the Swanage railway next year when the trains are running back through to Wareham again.

341o2

Established Member
due to a broken spring, 41312 will not be running this weekend. hoped it will be in service towards the end of next week

Status
Not open for further replies.