• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swansea Bay railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
The whole area has been landscaped, the embankments cut back, and the Mumbles Road has been widened to 4 lanes. So no visible sign of any former bridge.

There is now a signal controlled crossing there, because the former railway along seafront is now a cycle path, and gentle slopes down from former embankments to road crossing has been made. I guess there is no funding to build a cycle bridge to replace the long removed rail bridge.

Gloster

Established Member
The National Library of Scotland have some 25” maps covering most of the area in their on-line collection. A few bits aren’t covered, but most are by the editions from the late 1870s or around the beginning of World War I. (Sorry, can’t do a link due to my lack of technical competence.)

deltic

Established Member

DerekC

Established Member
There is this film I mentioned last year in another thread which may be on interest:

Thanks from me as well - what a great little film, narrated by somebody who knew and clearly loved the area and could point out all the sights including the tinplate works!

And here's a screenshot from the 1899 OS 1:2500 map showing the Swansea & Mumbles following the road from to bottom, throwing off the Clyne Valley branch to the west, with the Llanelli Railway's Swansea Extension swinging round to cross over it. I had forgotten that there was once a link between the two which you can see, just north of the bridge.

1620980087163.png

Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member
There is this film I mentioned last year in another thread which may be on interest:

Thanks for posting this, it's not an area I really know, although I have been on the lines in the district that survive. What a fantastic little film, the affection of the narrator for the journey really shines through. I can imagine those sand dunes causing an unusual problem on the track at times.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Thanks for posting this, it's not an area I really know, although I have been on the lines in the district that survive. What a fantastic little film, the affection of the narrator for the journey really shines through. I can imagine those sand dunes causing an unusual problem on the track at times.

The sand blowing onto the tracks was a problem since early days ! - the local PW gangs got extra work accordingly and some of the collected sand was thriftily sent to Blackpool for the beach there !

Status
Not open for further replies.