• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swansea Bus meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
Right just got home so I will type this report up now.Earlier this morning I received a mesage from IVO saying he was no longer able to attend so it did look it was just me and Greenback.

So I left home at 07:10 and started walking to Pyle cross getting there at around 07:25. after stoping at the cashpoint outside my local spar to withdraw £15.

At 07:32 First Cymru's Marshal bodied Dennis Dart SLF 40935 arrived on service X1 to Swansea. After boarding and purchasing a south & west wales day rider ticket cost me £6.20 we set off on our way with only two passengers including myself onboard. Another problem with this bus is that it stunk of bleech.

I used to travel to swansea on this when I was in University and the bus was close to packed whenever it arrived at Pyle cross from Bridgend and never on time.

At Port Talbot I spoted an Edwards Bova Futura on what looked like a national express contract although I was unable to take a picture.

Now the weather was overcast and I didnt really hold much hope of the open toper being used today however the bus arrived into Swansea at 08:24 which was 1 minutes earlier which is a first.

I then went into Gregg and bought a pasty for 93p before spotting that they had opened more shops inside the Quadrant bus station.

Eventually at 08:37 I arrived at the FTR metro stop where a streetcar was waiting so I boarded that and went for a tride to the Liberty stadium.

This service was actually carrying a fair number of passengers however I did spot some streetcar's coming from Morriston which werte heaving with passengers all heading to Swansea.

I sent a txt to Greenback seing how he was doing however I got a reply about 4 minutes later from him saying that he was sick after eating some bad food last night so he was not coming. Owe well it seemed I was on my own.

I eventually arrived back into Swansea at around 09:35 and did a bit of bus photography including geting a pcik of a pink liveried dart being operated by First cymru on service 20B to Derwlyn.

Then at 09:45 Bristol VR MOD 571P arrived having traveled down from Pontardawe and parked up while the driver went to get food from Greggs. The driver then came back and started handing out copies of the timetable for the open top service to passengers and I spoted one member of staff taking some pics of MOD 571P.

Eventually at 10:00 we set off although all was not well as MOD 571P didnt seem to be going very fast even though the speed limit on the road was 40mph.
I would have to say we could not have been going any more than 25-30mph however we still managed to arrive at Braclet bay early at 10:28 when we should have arrived at 10:32. The giant Apple in Mumbles is re-built after being destroyed by a car smashing into it last year.

So once we arrived in Bracelet Bay I got off and took a few pics and got back on MOD 571P which now on the way back was working ok so I have no idea what the dirver did to it.

Arrival back into the quadrant bus station was at 11:05 about 3 minutes early.

The open topper seemed to getting some looks from passengers who were not expecting to see it and some mothers with their pushchairs decided to fold them (Yes shocking isn't it) and travel on it down to Oyestermouth instead of getting onboard the low-floor dart which was sat in the next stand.

Now I decided to get some shots of the independent bus operators who have now started running some services into Swansea and managed to photograph one bus driver by a driver I know very well who slowed down to allow me a better shot (Thank you :) )

I then got on SWT streetlite to take me to Neath (Now this service is actually operated partially under contract to Neath & P/Talbot council/Swansea city council so first cymru tickets are valid on it between Swansea & Briton Ferry (Mc Donalds). To tarvel beyond Briton Fery to Neath you will need to purchase a £1 ticket which I did.

After we arrived I then took a few snaps in Neath before boarding First Cymru's alexander bodied Dennis dart SLF 42334 which was working the 14:00 service X1N from Neath to Bridgend. Now news for IVO and co. this Alexander dart didnt rattle (Thats a 1st)

Eventually I arrived back into Pyle at 14:52 and arrived back into My house a little while ago.

Overall a good day out and the weather remained dry although shame everyone else had to cancel.

Now as to the fate of MOD 571P it seems this bus is to yet again defy the odds and will be remaining in use for the full season until 1st September unless it goes bang before then. However yes this will be its final year being operated by First and is set to be withdrawn and being sent for preservation so get it while you can.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
On your own in the end...?

Still, sounds like it went well. I hope the museum weren't too disappointed with no-one turning up! :oops:

Good to hear she'll be around all Summer, so other chances do still exist.

anthony263

Established Member
No they were doing a lot of work on the vehicles anyway and there were some other people visiting from what I could see when I went past on the bus.

I have many more pics from today which I can email to you later if you wish IVO.

Ivo

Established Member
I may well do :) Thank you.

Nice to hear things did go well for you in the end, which does make me feel a bit better about my having missed out!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, I'm glad you managed to make a go of it despite the ,isery that inflicted everyone else. I was bad all day yesterday, I won't be going to *****'s again!

quarella

Another problem with this bus is that it stunk of bleech.
I think bleach was the better odour to what was probably used for. Usually vomit but sometimes faeces.

Eventually at 10:00 we set off although all was not well as MOD 571P didnt seem to be going very fast even though the speed limit on the road was 40mph.
I would have to say we could not have been going any more than 25-30mph however we still managed to arrive at Braclet bay early at 10:28 when we should have arrived at 10:32.

Due to how congested the road to Oystermouth can get I would guess the timetable is fairly generous which is how even at the low speed you arrived early. When I did some bus and coach driving running early was a bigger crime than running late.

anthony263

Established Member
I think bleach was the better odour to what was probably used for. Usually vomit but sometimes faeces.

Due to how congested the road to Oystermouth can get I would guess the timetable is fairly generous which is how even at the low speed you arrived early. When I did some bus and coach driving running early was a bigger crime than running late.

Yes I know I was told that when I was doing my PCV training a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.