• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sweden railrovers summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarby

Two railrover-type tickets have been announced for Sweden this summer.

The first is from the national operator, SJ, and is a " Tågluffarkort", which is now available to all ages, after a youth version was trialled last summer. It costs SEK 3295 (approx £280) for 15 days' continuous travel and SEK 4695 (£400) for 30 days' continuous travel. The tickets are available now until August 22 (therefore for example August 8 is the last day to buy a 15 day card).

On the face of it, it's a good deal if you are prepared to hammer the rails, though note it is only valid for SJ's trains and Tåg i Bergslagen (a kind of Regional Railways set-up). Most SJ trains require booking a seat before (cost-free with the card), so advance planning will be essential.

I assume the tickets are available to everyone, not just those resident in Sweden, I haven't seen anything that says they are limited, but please check carefully beforehand if you are thinking of coming to Sweden to use it, as I know these sort of tickets can sometimes have residence limitations.

The other, and the one I am going to go for, is a much shorter and cheaper deal, a "Summer card" (Sommarkort) with the aforementioned Tåg i Bergslagen. This comes at just SEK 300 (£25) for three days' continuous travel. With these regional trains there are no reservations, so get the card, jump on and go! This covers 5 lines in and beyond the Bergslagen region west of Stockholm - the Gävle-Mjölby stretch alone is 408km and takes over 5 hours!

There are railway museums at Gävle and Grängesberg.

Note this is only valid on Tåg i Bergslagen trains. Here you can see the map of the area covered, though it's a bit misleading as NO Tåg i Bergslagen trains go to/from Stockholm, despite it being on the map. You would most likely start out from Västerås if based in/travelling to Stockholm.

https://tagibergslagen.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/tib-linjekarta-181101-1.png

This looks a really sweet deal to say the least, and I am planning to do it once, hopefully twice. The tickets run from June 22 to August 16 (last purchase day August 14).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonasB

Two railrover-type tickets have been announced for Sweden this summer.

The first is from the national operator, SJ, and is a " Tågluffarkort", which is now available to all ages, after a youth version was trialled last summer. It costs SEK 3295 (approx £280) for 15 days' continuous travel and SEK 4695 (£400) for 30 days' continuous travel. The tickets are available now until August 22 (therefore for example August 8 is the last day to buy a 15 day card).

On the face of it, it's a good deal if you are prepared to hammer the rails, though note it is only valid for SJ's trains and Tåg i Bergslagen (a kind of Regional Railways set-up). Most SJ trains require booking a seat before (cost-free with the card), so advance planning will be essential.

The best way to buy the summer ticket is probably through SJ's app and in that case advance planning will not be that essential. You can book a seat with your phone 15 minutes before departure as long as there are free seats on the train.

I assume the tickets are available to everyone, not just those resident in Sweden, I haven't seen anything that says they are limited, but please check carefully beforehand if you are thinking of coming to Sweden to use it, as I know these sort of tickets can sometimes have residence limitations.

There are no limitations as far as I can tell, anyone can buy the tickets.

The other, and the one I am going to go for, is a much shorter and cheaper deal, a "Summer card" (Sommarkort) with the aforementioned Tåg i Bergslagen. This comes at just SEK 300 (£25) for three days' continuous travel. With these regional trains there are no reservations, so get the card, jump on and go! This covers 5 lines in and beyond the Bergslagen region west of Stockholm - the Gävle-Mjölby stretch alone is 408km and takes over 5 hours!

There are railway museums at Gävle and Grängesberg.

Unfortunately the railway museum in Gävle is closed for renovation, but it was a great museum and it will probably be even better when it opens again.

Note this is only valid on Tåg i Bergslagen trains. Here you can see the map of the area covered, though it's a bit misleading as NO Tåg i Bergslagen trains go to/from Stockholm, despite it being on the map. You would most likely start out from Västerås if based in/travelling to Stockholm.

https://tagibergslagen.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/tib-linjekarta-181101-1.png

This looks a really sweet deal to say the least, and I am planning to do it once, hopefully twice. The tickets run from June 22 to August 16 (last purchase day August 14).

There is a daily train to and from Stockholm as the map shows, but it doesn't run in the summer.

And there are other similar tickets as well. Norrtåg has a summer ticket as well that will give you unlimited travel for a week for 1199 kr on their network that covers an area roughly the size of Great Britain. Skånetrafiken has a ticket that will give you 2 months unlimited travel in Skåne for 699 kr. And there are many more.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Luffare=hitch hike. A same type of card was on offer during summer (over there tipically to start 21/6=longest day or ´midnattsommeren´-when there is barely darkness) many moons ago. In SE there never ever has been some kind of restricted sale to inhabitants only.
Note for smaller areas all the provinces/counties (Láner) have their german-style Verbundticketing including both train and bus (X2000 mostly excluded though) and many of these also offer some kind of special deal for summer.Some combine these with nearby other provinces. Advanced as it is, quite a few of these are only available as app on fones or on the local smartcard though. Google for ´ länstrafiken in ....´

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Norrtåg and Inlandsbanan recently announced a new rail pass covering both networks called Swedrail. 2,995kr (€285) for 14 days.

However, Inlandsbanan today announced a cancellation of all their summer traffic due to a collapse in forward bookings. With the borders effectively closed by neighbouring counties there is zero intra-Scandinavian tourism.

Norrtåg are still offering their own summer pass, 995kr for 14 days, although like most train companies in Sweden they are running the usual reduced summer schedule.

Shinkansenfan

In SE there never ever has been some kind of restricted sale to inhabitants only.

Indeed, here's the information on the English page of SJ's website:
https://www.sj.se/en/we-offer/sj-train-hopper-card.html

And clicking further, here's additional information, including a 20% discount in the buffet:

Facts about the card

Train Hopper Card Sweden (SJ Tågluffarkort Sverige) – for 15 days
  • Price adult: SEK 3,295
  • Price pensioner: SEK 2,645 [Nowhere on this page is the age defined; but it is 65+ or if proof of pensioner status can be offered]
  • Price student/youth: SEK 1,995

Train Hopper Card (SJ Tågluffarkort Sverige) – for 30 days
  • Price adult: SEK 4,695
  • Price pensioner: SEK 3,745
  • Price student/youth: SEK 2,795

The following applies for both cards:
  • Valid for 15 or 30 optional consecutive days during the period 1/6 – 22/8 within Sweden, as well as on Tåg i Bergslagen
  • Valid for adults, pensioners and students/youth
  • Valid on SJ's day trains in 2nd class
  • Valid on SJ's night trains for a berth and 2nd class seat
  • SJ's children's offer is valid
  • Gives double points if you are a SJ Prio member
  • Can be purchased no earlier than 15 days before the first day of travel on sj.se and in SJ's app. Last day to buy the card is 24/7 for the 30 days card and 8/8 for the 15 days card
  • The card is personal
  • Booking of journey is required before each departure
  • The card cannot be refunded after the first day of validity
  • Gives a 20 % discount on the entire range in the bistro on board the train (excluding alcohol) during the validity period. Just show the Train Hopper Card in the bistro!

Status
Not open for further replies.