• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sweden: Trafikverket wants to buy new trains for the Stockholm-Luleå/Narvik sleepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

The locos and carriages used on the sleeper trains from Stockholm to Luleå/Narvik are getting old and Trafikverket wants to do something about it. They have asked the government for the money needed to replace them with new vehicles and buy vehicles for the Stockholm-Jämtland sleepers. In total 16 locos and 100 carriages and they estimate the total cost to be around 3.7 billion SEK (≈£300 million) over five years.

More information: https://www.altinget.se/miljo/artikel/trafikverket-vill-ha-nya-nattaag-for-miljarder (In Swedish)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks for sharing. Does that 1:1 replacement, or does that include additional vehicles for growth?

JonasB

Thanks for sharing. Does that 1:1 replacement, or does that include additional vehicles for growth?

Good question, the article isn't that clear on the subject but sort of hints at it being a 1:1 replacement. Or that might just be the journalist assuming it. Hopefully some of the older carriages will be kept as spares at least, but new trains that can do 200 km/h would be great, that might cut down the travel time a bit.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
One would hope that Trafikverket would make one single order (or multiple orders from a common design) that is compatible with continental railways, so that stock can be swapped between the domestic and proposed international night train(s) as required.

Good question, the article isn't that clear on the subject but sort of hints at it being a 1:1 replacement. Or that might just be the journalist assuming it. Hopefully some of the older carriages will be kept as spares at least, but new trains that can do 200 km/h would be great, that might cut down the travel time a bit.

If you're in a seat, a shorter journey time might be desirable. But if I'm in a bed, I want the longest lie-in possible!

StephenHunter

Established Member
200km/h is useful when you need to make up delays though - sleeper schedules have generous allowances for that.

JonasB

One would hope that Trafikverket would make one single order (or multiple orders from a common design) that is compatible with continental railways, so that stock can be swapped between the domestic and proposed international night train(s) as required.

That certainly has it advantages, but I would like to see stock built for the larger Swedish loading gauge. Even better would be to have them built for the new Swedish loading gauge, then we could get spacious double deck carriages!

If you're in a seat, a shorter journey time might be desirable. But if I'm in a bed, I want the longest lie-in possible!

If you are going to Umeå I can understand that, but then you also have day trains as an option. But I don't think the people going to Kiruna will be that sad to see the 15 h trip reduced to 14 h. Also, a faster train will make it easier to fit in on more crowded parts of the rail network, like Gävle-Uppsala-Stockholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.