Swindon-Cholsey via Reading?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by GWRjake, 4 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GWRjake

GWRjake Member

Would this be a valid route, or can one only change at Didcot Parkway? NRE is suggesting that it is but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance! :)

2. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

Yes, it is permitted by easement 700137.

Bizarrely, Swindon-Tilehurst does not benefit from such an easement, despite this being much less of a detour and the journey often being quicker via Reading, whereas Swindon-Cholsey rarely if ever is.

3. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

I don't think an easement is needed for Tilehurst, as Reading passes the fares check as a destination routeing point for a Swindon to Tilehurst journey, and there is no issue with doubling back from Reading to Tilehurst because it's not part of the main mapped segment of the journey. Of course it's possible that there could be other destinations beyond Swindon for which Reading doesn't pass the fares check - maybe quite unlikely though as Tilehurst and Reading are usually clustered together for long distance fares.

4. GWRjake

GWRjake Member

Thanks then guys. Whilst the journey will indeed take me longer the timings that way are more convenient for me, hence the query.

5. LexyBoy

Double back applies to the whole journey doesn't it, not just the leg between routeing points? From page F4:
    On the other hand, NRE is allowing it though, which I don't think it used to.

No problem. As you might imagine, a lot of journeys using this ticket involve starting/stopping short...

6. GWRjake

GWRjake Member

I can imagine as much, given the saving it represents against a Reading-Swindon/vice versa return!

7. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

That does certainly seem to preclude it. But on the other hand Section A says:
    This seems to suggest that the doubleback rule only applies to the mapped route and is independent of the route taken to and from the origin/destination routeing point. This is what the instructions on interpreting the routeing guide that are supplied to booking engine providers say, and is also consistent with historic reasonable route principles where a short doubleback to a major station was allowed at the start of a long journey provided the fares from the origin station and major station were the same (modern translation: the routeing point passes the fares check!).

I've been won over to this interpretation now, but I used to think that the whole journey counted for double back purposes...

8. LexyBoy

The NRG being unclear and contradictory? Shurely shome mishtake!

Thanks for that, it is certainly a good argument. Personally I wouldn't want to argue the toss should there be nothing else to indicate a route is valid, but I agree with the reasoning.

9. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

But then the definition of doubling back in that paragraph is with respect to the journey, not with respect to any particular leg of it.

10. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

Ahh, Cholsey.

One of my favourite ticketed destinations. Must visit it someday. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.