• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swindon-Conwy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hey

Me and my mum are planning to travel to Conwy in June. We want to get from Swindon to Newport, then the 1336 Newport-Conwy, and on the way back leaving Conwy at 0917 back to Newport. Where can I split tickets on this journey in order to get it cheapest? The journey planner threw up a price of £136.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My first suggestion would be to try Newport and Crewe, but can you provide a bit more detail? Hev the cheap advances been released yet?

TheWalrus

Established Member
My first suggestion would be to try Newport and Crewe, but can you provide a bit more detail? Hev the cheap advances been released yet?

OK. I thought maybe Hereford? And were not going via Crewe :lol: would be via Wrexham. I looked at the 1st June but no advances available.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Then I'd try Wrexham, though in my experience there are more cheap fares available to Crewe!

According to NRE, ATW haven't released advances for June yet

TheWalrus

Established Member
Then I'd try Wrexham, though in my experience there are more cheap fares available to Crewe!

According to NRE, ATW haven't released advances for June yet

Ah! Well I was hoping to just use splitting for flexibility unless something very good turns up...

TheWalrus

Established Member
yes, sorry didnt make that clear!
advance singles are available from Newport but not Swindon!

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I checked splitting at Abergavenny but it seems to be a little more expensive than the through ticket.

It looks a little cheaper to split at Wrexham on off peaks:

Swindon - Wrexham £102.10
Wrexham - Conwy £30.50

Not much, but every little helps!

TheWalrus

Established Member
hmmm...well the advances from npt look good! will there be any thru advances from swindon?

sonic2009

Established Member
No advances available from swindon as the pricing from Swindon to Conwy is set by XC, so their intpretation of the route to go would be as follows

Swindon-Didcot
Didcot-Oxford
Oxford-Birmingham New Street

and then on the conwy, not via newport

the first station on the line from swindon to newport you can get advances to go via wrexham is bristol parkway.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Have you considered going via London? Nearly 4 hours Newport-Conwy on whatever heap ATW provide doesn't sound too appealing.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's appealing to me as I quite like the 175's that usually operate the services! Is there a direct train from London to Conwy?

I still think an advance from Swindon to Newport and another from Newport to Conwy would be the best bet, unless someone can find something better!

TheWalrus

Established Member
ok i think advances from bristol pway is best :) that covers the change at newport so if i miss the connection i can get the next one. then a return swindon-bristol pway

Status
Not open for further replies.