• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swindon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwindonPkwy

Now, there are things I do like about Swindon. Its overall size, location and transport links. I live in a new house with good surroundings, open spaces, schools, playgrounds and bus services. But after 10 years living here I feel the need to have a rant!
It's not the fact that where Supermarine once built Spitfires they now build Honda Civics. It's not even the fact that one of the country's finest railway works is now a shopping centre! It's the fact that for all of the thousands of new homes built, the entire town centre is, at best, tired, and at worst a complete disgrace in the 21st century. The railway station is one of the most uninspiring I have seen and please don't get me started on the "magic" roundabout!!!
That's the end of my rant. I'm going to have a glass of red wine.
Take this thread where you wish.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minilad

Established Member
My over riding memory of Swindon is the last game of the 87-88 season when Villa played at Swindon with promotion on the line. Villa took Swindon over and we got there very early. Around 6 in the morning as we drove down straight after coming out of Snobs nightclub. We were chatting to a policeman in a car park and he was asking us all about what they should expect from Villa fans. We told him there would be loads coming and they could be a bit boisterous. His response was a classic and delivered in a broad west country accent. "oh bloody hell I hope not" he said "we only have one horse and we have borrowed that from Bristol"

deltic1989

Established Member
and please don't get me started on the "magic" roundabout!!!

I heard it's so called because it's a miricle if you ever work out how to get off the thing at the right exit first time, I've often wondered what the planners were smoking when they came up with that. I have to say that whilst Swindon is a rather nice place its a pain in the backside to navigate with all those roundabouts.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I've only ever been there to the STEAM Museum thing*, i'm afraid I haven;t sampled the Swindon shopping experience. I'm afraid I tend to assess whether somewhere is or isn't mildly interesting based on whether the local bus company is fairly interesting, and i haven't sampled Thamesdown, so i couldn't comment.
i see they won an Award reently though, so jolly well done to them.

*And why is it in capitals?

SwindonPkwy

When driving from one side of Swindon to the other, I generally choose a route that avoids the magic roundabout.
I took my father around STEAM a few months back. He is an ex BR man from the Eastern region. He spent most of his time admiring a three wheeled truck that he learned to drive in. Not sure why STEAM is in capitals either.
I do like Thamesdown buses. There can't be too many towns that aren't either First or Stagecoach. Though, on that one, I expect to be corrected!

Robinson

My best friend lives in Swindon. I have visited a couple of times; on the most recent trip I also managed to get to STEAM.

To be honest, those are the only reasons why I'd consider going there!

The only thing that I know about Swindon is, since it has trebled in size (or whatever the proportion is) all the surrounding rivers have dried up.

It wasn't a wet area anyway, but builders don't consider that when cramming 30 box houses to the acre.

Ivo

Established Member
There can't be too many towns that aren't either First or Stagecoach. Though, on that one, I expect to be corrected!

There are some out there, believe me - most of the West Midlands conurbation, for instance, while Liverpool is dominated by Arriva. But unless I am SERIOUSLY mistaken, Swindon does have Stagecoach. You have the 6, the 7, the 8, the 49, the... well, you get the idea. Not to mention the 66, which is subject to Goldline conversion (if it hasn't already happened).

please don't get me started on the "magic" roundabout!!!

Swindon's Magic Roundabout is surprisingly effective. You have a gander at some of the larger examples that don't use mini-roundabouts out there, such as Greenstead in Colchester and Sadlers Farm between Southend and Basildon [which is being done up - hooray! :lol:], and then tell me Swindon's most famous bit of road is a nuisance.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Oi! I was born in Swindon! :lol:

Swindon has expanded massively over the past 10 years, with the most dramatic changes occuring in the Haydon Wick area of the town.

The Magic Roundabout is an excellent piece of road planning; it works very efficiently (I've been over it at least 100 times).

Now I wrote a piece of English coursework on Swindon (we had to describe a settlement) which was 825 words long a few months ago.

Ivo

Established Member
Now I wrote a piece of English coursework on Swindon (we had to describe a settlement) which was 825 words long a few months ago.

(I know you're only 15, so this is in jest, but anyway...)

Only 825? Tsk tsk. Should be writing nearer 8,250 for a settlement the size of Swindon! I wrote pieces longer than that about Southend when I was 11 ;)

Seriously though, Swindon is a Hole. But by Hole and also New/Extended Town standards, it is one of the best ones out there.

SwindonPkwy

It is true that Swindon's magic roundabout keeps the traffic flowing. The issue I have with it is one of appearance. The whole area must be about five acres of tarmac.
Is this not something the town planners thought about? At least with a single, larger roundabout, landscaping can be considered.

End of another rant!!

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
(I know you're only 15, so this is in jest, but anyway...)

Only 825? Tsk tsk. Should be writing nearer 8,250 for a settlement the size of Swindon! I wrote pieces longer than that about Southend when I was 11 ;)

Seriously though, Swindon is a Hole. But by Hole and also New/Extended Town standards, it is one of the best ones out there.
Aye, I could have written far more but alas, the word number requirement is 600-800, with an absolute maximum of 825. :( We're currently on our 5th piece, and hopefully the last.

I've written objections to the county council at least 4 times as long…

Status
Not open for further replies.