• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swing nose crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilric

Can anyone please describe how a swing nose crossing works, ie are they motorised; can they cause a derailment if not set correctly?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable and experienced will be along soon, though most of them will be in the 'Infrastructure' Section (where this question would ideally have been asked).

But I can tell you that a Swing nose Crossing is motorised*, and the movement of the nose must always be synchronised with the movement of the other moving rail, the traditionally main moving part of any pointwork whose 'nose' is static (and thereby leaves a gap which is not amenable to high speed services).

* I assume by 'motorised' you are asking if it is powered. I wouldn't know if the delivery of power to the nose is always by a motor or some other technique such as hydraulics.

wilric

Thank you for the responses.
Does anyone know this...
Where one line very gradually joins another line, can the swingnose sometimes be a train length away from the other moving rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.