• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swiss Heritage Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Mod's please could you add the proper links. Thx

Looks nasty, thoughts with all involved.

http://m.srf.ch/news/schweiz/verletzte-und-grosser-sachschaden-bei-unfall-mit-nostalgiezug

https://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/World/2016/Feb-21/338414-vintage-steam-train-crashes-in-switzerland-injuring-16-police.ashx

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Last edited:

Gordon

Train apparently had correct route set and should have had a clear path but there was a large bogie ballast wagon fouling one set of points

oddiesjack

From photos posted on Facebook, it looks as though the non-boiler end of the railmotor has suffered the most damage (above the bufferbeam). The ballast wagons look as they have only suffered minor damage. I have read that the damage to the railmotor was caused by the trailer coach's buffers riding up over the railmotor's.

Does this mean that the railmotor was propelling its autotrailer at the time?

Established Member
Does this mean that the railmotor was propelling its autotrailer at the time?
No, I am quite sure that it wasn't - the coach is not an auto trailer, just an ordinary four-wheeled coach which is towed round as a trailing load. Having been on it a couple of times they usually seem do trips that are either circular in nature, thus avoiding the need to run round, or go to a location with a turntable so that the whole or majority of the journey is undertaken with the cab leading.

We went on a trip to Linthal last year and it was turned at Glarus on the outwards trip, running the final 16km in reverse still hauling the coach, before running round at Linthal in order to be cab leading for the return journey.

Interesting to read that one of the commenters wrote:
(Roughly translated by Google)

Nostalgia Club trains have no place on the main roads showing this case again.

Drawing parallels with what some have been saying about heritage on the mainline in the UK, with the recent events at WCRC.

PHP:
Interesting to read that one of the commenters wrote:
(Roughly translated by Google)

Drawing parallels with what some have been saying about heritage on the mainline in the UK, with the recent events at WCRC.

And what if it had been a normal passenger train? Would he then have said that there was no place for passenger trains on the main line?

Until the cause is established it is not possible to say whether being a Nostalgiezug was a factor or not. Was there a faulty signal? Was it a SPAD? Why was the Nostalgiezug on an already occupied track? Was it faulty points? Did the signalman forget the PW. train was there?

Far too many unanswered questions at this stage. And, as another commentator says, do we ban classic cars from the roads and keep all historic aeroplanes on the ground?

Established Member
And what if it had been a normal passenger train? Would he then have said that there was no place for passenger trains on the main line?
IMO, if it had been a normal passenger train the outcome could have been worse as it might well have been travelling a lot faster. I also wonder if the ongoing engineering works in the area played a part as there were numerous engineers trains stabled at Sihlbrugg when we were there a couple of weeks ago and I would imagine that they would be based there for the duration of the works.

Just for clarity, it's not my opinion that historic vehicles should be banned from the mainline, either in the UK or elsewhere.

I just thought it was interesting that this commenter's opinion seemed to echo some people's opinions on the WCRC issue.

Just for clarity, it's not my opinion that historic vehicles should be banned from the mainline, either in the UK or elsewhere.

I just thought it was interesting that this commenter's opinion seemed to echo some people's opinions on the WCRC issue.

I certainly wasn't implying that you had made that remark. I was suggesting that the accident could have happened just as easily if an ordinary passenger train had been involved and the fact that it was a Nostalgiezug was neither here nor there.

A friend of mine lives in France and is a regular visitor across the border into Switzerland. He keeps abreast of continental goings-on and tells me that first reports conclude that the Nostalgiezug had the right of way and the ballast wagon shouldn't have been there.

No doubt the whys and the wherefores will all come out in the wash. The Nostalgiezug from the Uerikon-Baulma-Bahn is unique so let's hope that the necessary half a million Swiss Francs is forthcoming.

Gordon

PHP:
Was it a SPAD? Why was the Nostalgiezug on an already occupied track? Was it faulty points? Did the signalman forget the PW. train was there?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the railcar was apparently following a supposedly clear signalled route. The photos of the ballast wagon on the points suggests it was too far onto the set of points and thus fouling the railcar's path across that particular turnout.

I haven't discovered yet whether the PW work was taking place at the time or whether the PW wagons were just parked up.

axlecounter

Hello everybody,
the PW wagons were parked there. The train had a clear signal. What at the moment seems the most plausible explanation is that an axle counter on the train route got reset, after the PW work ended, having confirmation from the person in charge of the work that the route was clear, thus permitting the signal to clear though that point on the route was occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.