• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swiss walking and photos - seeking advice and tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Planning a trip to the Gotthard line, based in Göschenen, in June, with photos and walking a priority. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips beyond the days I've got tentatively planned below?

1. Walk Schöllenen gorge (Göschenen-Andermatt) and around Andermatt
2. Walk Göschenen to Wassen spirals and up the valley sides
3. Train to Airolo and walk back over the St Gotthard pass old road/footpaths at least as far as Hospental.
4. Train to Bellinzona for the castles
5. Walk Andermatt up the hill and along to Oberalppass.
6. Train to the Biaschina loops and walk round for photos.

Hotel is sorted, ditto travel to and from Switzerland, and languages are no great problem. Also, I've plenty of experience walking (including the excellent rail trail on the RhB at Bergün-Preda).
Just really looking for any tips from people who've already done anything similar.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
The Lötschberg Südrampe (Goppenstein to Brig) might be an idea if you are in range, the footpath uses some of the viaducts (expect shaking if a freight goes over!)

EWS 58038

Don't do that... You will only have two to three hours to make your photo's. The rest of time is spend on transportation.

A good thing is to go to Wassen (ten minutes by postal bus from Goschenen). You can stand on the station platforms (although the station is closed to traffic) or go a bit down hill and fins yourself a good spot in the corner where the line goes into the tunnel, then you have a church on the background.

Hundreds and hundreds of enthusiasts have visited that spot, and the farmer won't like to see you coming so be warned. Don't go off path and if he starts shouting at you I recommend leaving.

800px-FS_ETR470_Cisalpino_in_Wassen%2C_2008.jpg

I must also warn you for the weather, Wassen is the most "rainy" place in Switzerland.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Thanks for the tips:
starrymarkb - had considered that, but I'm concentrating on one area more or less this time, and when I travelled the "old" Lötschberg last summer I didn't pass a single freight, only the once-hourly EMU service.
EWS 58038 - thanks for that. There seems to be plenty of alternative farmer-free spots around Wassen. I'll take my cagoule! How do you say "git orrf moy laand" in Swiss German?

Oscar

Fares Advisor
A good thing is to go to Wassen (ten minutes by postal bus from Goschenen). You can stand on the station platforms (although the station is closed to traffic) or go a bit down hill and fins yourself a good spot in the corner where the line goes into the tunnel, then you have a church on the background.

I seem to remember that passengers get a view of Wassen three times from different levels due to the spirals and tunnels.

You original thoughts are good, I'm not sure I would walk to far in the Wassen area as the 1970s transport planners brought the massive motorway leading up to the road tunnel through the valley and the noise is a bit much. You might also take the Postbus up to the dam and valley at Goescheneralp and walk round it: an interesting expedition at about 2000m high.

My only other thought: get your practice in before getting to CH! The walks you have outlined (esp. Oberalp, Schollenen and across the Gotthard are pretty demanding (ascents of 750 to 1000m a go and each will take most of the day). Add about 20% onto the times quoted on Swiss footpath markings and you'll be about right!

Squaddie

My only other thought: get your practice in before getting to CH! The walks you have outlined (esp. Oberalp, Schollenen and across the Gotthard are pretty demanding (ascents of 750 to 1000m a go and each will take most of the day). Add about 20% onto the times quoted on Swiss footpath markings and you'll be about right!
I'd disagree slightly there: in my experience, the walking times on footpath signs in Switzerland are uncannily accurate and can be relied upon.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Thanks themiller, Gerald Fiennes and Squaddie.
I'll see what it's like around Wassen. Aiming to get up the valley sides a bit for long panoramas, so the noise may not be such a problem.
I'm aware of the heights involved: I've done similar before with no trouble, and I've found the Swiss footpath sign times very accurate. There's a sign photographed on here: http://strollingtoitaly.net/wp/?p=2880 giving a total of 6h40 Airolo to Realp, which is about the same as or possibly further than I'm planning.
Roll on summer

blackfive460

I'd disagree slightly there: in my experience, the walking times on footpath signs in Switzerland are uncannily accurate and can be relied upon.

That rather depends on age and fitness in my experience!
I find I have to add 50% to uphill times these days...

dangie

Established Member
If you have a whole day spare and you don't mind travelling a little farther afield then the train from Visp or Brig to Zermatt is well worthwhile. The Matterhorn from Zermatt is certainly one of lifes 'must see before you die' views. Then from Zermatt take the Gornergrat railway up to over 3000metres. Fantastic views over the highest mountains in Switzerland. Not cheap but excellent.

Gornergrat Railway1
Gornergrat Railway2

Status
Not open for further replies.