• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swithing from Sweden to the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Fantastic, just the region I'm interested in. Windermere and the surrounding villages is heaven on earth. Can you be stationed in Windermere??

No you can't be based at Windermere as a Driver. It is at the end of a single track branch line from Oxenholme. The service provided on the branch at the moment is due to transfer from Transpennine Express to Northern on 1 April. The crews for the service travel up from Blackpool, Barrow, Preston and Manchester at the moment but this will change with the operator change in April.

TDK

Established Member
Hello!

I'm a Swedish train driver with a European train driving license (which I suppose all train drivers within the EU now must have). Me and my wife are very interested in moving to the north of England, if there is a possibility.

Do you know if a foreign educated train driver can apply for jobs in the UK? I would of course need new training for the UK railway system (signals, railway vocabulary, routines etc). Would it be a merit to have education and work-experience from another EU country?
Do you know where I can write to inquire further? To the train operators directly?

Could you tell me who the main operators in the north of England are and what cities they have depots in?

Lots of question, would be grateful for any information you can provide!

Back to being sensible without taking notice of the bickering above Swede:-

1. You need to live within 1 hours commuting distance from your fixed address or have evidence to relocate to within that distance.
2. You will need to apply for a trainee drivers post and not a qualified drivers post.
3. Your past experience will interest any company you apply for.
4. Your European license will become invalid in the UK.
5. There are many redundancies announced and more to come and the drivers being made redundant will have a much better chance of filling a role than you.
6. You will not need to learn anything whatsoever regarding the UK signalling system, signs etc. as you will have training for it once you get a job from scratch as a trainee.
7. Many companies request proof of British citizenship when you apply for a role however it is still possible to get a role without it.
8. Good luck and follow the application process setting up email alerts for any companies that have a depot within 1 hour of your fixed address.

You will gather that there are many people on this forum who will advise you of what "they think" you should do when in fact they don't know the process and are guessing or taking information they have read on this and other forums from other people who "think" they know.

FYI I used to do driver recruitment and know just a little on what the process is :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Coal traffic has caused how many losses then?

157 so far at Freightliner Heavy Haul with more to follow, DB shenker has also warned of job cuts. Both have depots in the North that will be affected
Have you applied for a job in Northern or TPE?
If not you don't know the chances at all.

It averages about 1 in 1000, more so with TPE in other words generally 1000 apply for each position and that is with closing the advertising of the post early.
I said Transpennine had a driver shortage, as this is why the trains are cancelled half the time where I live. A Yet you have been out to attack my comments, what's the reason please?

Your evidence to prove their is a staff base shortage and not just seasonal shortages at TPE, are TPE recruiting at the moment, the reason why Mr Lucas has attacked your comments as many are inaccurate, he could have been a bit more gentle with you agreed but inaccurate posts do not help those who are trying to get the jobs!

Percentage wise most vacancies are filled internally or by fully qualified drivers and that is why there are many, many folks on here not getting the jobs.

Last edited:

WCMLaddict

Point 7 in TDK's post is inaccurate. Nobody asks for proofs of British citizenship, all you need to do is show that you have the right to work and stay in the country. Swede's passport is more then enough for that.

TDK

Established Member
Point 7 in TDK's post is inaccurate. Nobody asks for proofs of British citizenship, all you need to do is show that you have the right to work and stay in the country. Swede's passport is more then enough for that.

That has changed then as it used to be a British Passport, a question then, if Swede was actually from Denmark or Switzerland would this make a difference with both these countries being non EU?

WCMLaddict

No. Denmark is part of EU, Switzerland is part of single European market therefore Swiss nationals have exactly same rights to live and work in UK

TDK

Established Member
That is interesting, possibly a discussion for another thread with a referendum to either leave of stay in the RU is imminent. I wonder if the same will apply if we leave the EU?

Status
Not open for further replies.