• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Switzerland - Where to go if you're a rail enthusiast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Basel to Zurich is usually loco-hauled with a Re460, but some Re420s especially on slower trains can be found. There are also German ICEs and maybe ICNs.

You can check individual train compositions on the Reisezuege website.

Bernina Express is not worth it in my opinion. The standard trains with fully opening windows are much better. I don't know if they are still hauled though.

Thanks, I'll bang that data into YouTube now and make an informed decision on my choice of move. I'm guessing a Basel to Zurich walk-up ticket will happily be valid on the ICEs? Not familiar with ICNs though.

I believe the Bernina Express services are effectively the tourist coaches hauled by EMUs. My Advance booked via the DB website has me on what Seat61 assures me to be the correct train, so I should be sat in the EMU with opening windows.

Thanks for the swift reply!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class387

Established Member
Thanks, I'll bang that data into YouTube now and make an informed decision on my choice of move. I'm guessing a Basel to Zurich walk-up ticket will happily be valid on the ICEs? Not familiar with ICNs though.

I believe the Bernina Express services are effectively the tourist coaches hauled by EMUs. My Advance booked via the DB website has me on what Seat61 assures me to be the correct train, so I should be sat in the EMU with opening windows.

ICNs are tilting EMUs (think Voyager). Not very interesting to be honest. Your tickets should be valid on any train - specific train tickets are rare in Switzerland.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
ICNs are tilting EMUs (think Voyager). Not very interesting to be honest. Your tickets should be valid on any train - specific train tickets are rare in Switzerland.

Thanks, in that case I'm definitely not going to do that express coach from the airport. I'll get to Basel SBB as soon as possible after landing (due in at 1555 then it's baggage reclaim) and I believe the ICE from Hamburg is at 1755 or so, so time for a quick look around if there's anything worth seeing.

Quite, I intend to try and use some time there to get my Swiss chocolate and other supplies sourced before I head to Zurich, by the time I get there all I'll want is food and to get to base camp.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

class387

Established Member
Thanks, in that case I'm definitely not going to do that express coach from the airport. I'll get to Basel SBB as soon as possible after landing (due in at 1555 then it's baggage reclaim) and I believe the ICE from Hamburg is at 1755 or so, so time for a quick look around if there's anything worth seeing.

Quite, I intend to try and use some time there to get my Swiss chocolate and other supplies sourced before I head to Zurich, by the time I get there all I'll want is food and to get to base camp.

The ICE from Basel to Zurich is actually at 1707, so maybe too early. The loco-hauled sets (double-deck) are good too though.

Zurich to Chur - which I assume you are doing the next day - can also be an ICE. One I can think of is the 0807 on weekends.

Something else to look out for is the 'Ersatzzug'. These are loco-hauled trains with stock from the 60s/70s drafted in if a train is unavailable to avoid cancelling it, or if an international train is 30min+ delayed.

class387

Established Member

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The ICE from Basel to Zurich is actually at 1707, so maybe too early. The loco-hauled sets (double-deck) are good too though.

Zurich to Chur - which I assume you are doing the next day - can also be an ICE. One I can think of is the 0807 on weekends.

Something else to look out for is the 'Ersatzzug'. These are loco-hauled trains with stock from the 60s/70s drafted in if a train is unavailable to avoid cancelling it, or if an international train is 30min+ delayed.

Cheers, yes you might be right 1707 could be too early. Still, if it can be made I'll go for it!

Correct I am off to Chur the following day, 0702 off Zurich to Chur then 0832 to Tirano, arrive 1245 as it's a Friday.

mag_seven, thanks for that photo link, those look quite nice!

class387

Established Member
Cheers, yes you might be right 1707 could be too early. Still, if it can be made I'll go for it!

Correct I am off to Chur the following day, 0702 off Zurich to Chur then 0832 to Tirano, arrive 1245 as it's a Friday.

mag_seven, thanks for that photo link, those look quite nice!
It should be 0707 Zurich to Chur.

The 0832 is a supplement/reservation only Bernina Express with panoramic cars only. You need the XX58 services for the Mk1 coaches with opening windows(changing at Samedan and Pontresina)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It should be 0707 Zurich to Chur.

The 0832 is a supplement/reservation only Bernina Express with panoramic cars only. You need the XX58 services for the Mk1 coaches with opening windows(changing at Samedan and Pontresina)

Sorry, 0707 is correct.

I'm not overly bothered about the MK1 coaches, although I have a feeling I'll regret that after I've been. This trip is all about being an introduction to Switzerland anyway, much like last week was an introduction to both Czech Republic and to Italy. Fuller exploration will happen in the future, without a doubt.

class387

Established Member
Sorry, 0707 is correct.

I'm not overly bothered about the MK1 coaches, although I have a feeling I'll regret that after I've been. This trip is all about being an introduction to Switzerland anyway, much like last week was an introduction to both Czech Republic and to Italy. Fuller exploration will happen in the future, without a doubt.

Taking the local train would also be cheaper, more flexible and arrive only 15min later - with a 0737 departure from Zurich.

If the plane arrives at BSL at 1555 then you should get to Basel SBB at about 1645 easily. The bus is fast and takes just over 15 mins, normally.

The ICEs are curently being disrupted by the Rastatt collapse and the current estimate is that the line will not reopen until 7th October (!), so you might want to check closer to the time if it actually will be an ICE. All of the ICEs are now being kept in Germany, with SBB substitute rakes covering their workings in Switzerland for the time being and a scratch DB rakes shuttling every hour between Basel SBB and Baden-Baden.

In terms of tickets, I can only think of the Bernina Express as an example of a Swiss train where any kind of supplement is required: even the Glacier Express has a couple of ordinary carriages to it for regular travellers to use, without supplement. Swiss ticketing is incredibly easy: with only a few technical exceptions to do with local PTE zone fares which will not affect your journeys, all tickets are valid on all trains!

class387

Established Member
If the plane arrives at BSL at 1555 then you should get to Basel SBB at about 1645 easily. The bus is fast and takes just over 15 mins, normally.

The ICEs are curently being disrupted by the Rastatt collapse and the current estimate is that the line will not reopen until 7th October (!), so you might want to check closer to the time if it actually will be an ICE. All of the ICEs are now being kept in Germany, with SBB substitute rakes covering their workings in Switzerland for the time being and a scratch DB rakes shuttling every hour between Basel SBB and Baden-Baden.

In terms of tickets, I can only think of the Bernina Express as an example of a Swiss train where any kind of supplement is required: even the Glacier Express has a couple of ordinary carriages to it for regular travellers to use, without supplement. Swiss ticketing is incredibly easy: with only a few technical exceptions to do with local PTE zone fares which will not affect your journeys, all tickets are valid on all trains!

I would much prefer to get a Swiss Mk1 Ersatzzug than an ICE!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would much prefer to get a Swiss Mk1 Ersatzzug than an ICE!

Only in 1st, though (which fortunately is priced at a reasonable markup). In 2nd they are very spartan and uncomfortable, enough so that they would have you wishing for some ironing boards, not to mention the legroom set up for midgets.

Re supplements the only other one I can think of is Locarno-Domodossola where some trains attract a small "scenic train" supplement paid on board. Other than that it's strict buy before you board throughout CH, there is always at least a TVM. Tickets are quite prescriptively routed, but the TVM can build you a fare via any route you like, however silly, really easily.

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
Only in 1st, though (which fortunately is priced at a reasonable markup). In 2nd they are very spartan and uncomfortable, enough so that they would have you wishing for some ironing boards, not to mention the legroom set up for midgets.

I like them for the novelty factor though. While I love ICEs, I prefer the newer ICE3s, which can not be found in Switzerland.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Large seats

Excuse me for going into hysterics. They are far too narrow and suffer from the "stupid litter bin" problem. I can't put the armrest down, they are so narrow.

Same seats as the IC2000 hauled stock which suffers the same problem (plus tiny windows).

Newer Stadler stock is good, as is the EW IV hauled stock, but SBB really did build some utter rubbish in between.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excuse me for going into hysterics. They are far too narrow and suffer from the "stupid litter bin" problem. I can't put the armrest down, they are so narrow.

Same seats as the IC2000 hauled stock which suffers the same problem (plus tiny windows).

Newer Stadler stock is good, as is the EW IV hauled stock, but SBB really did build some utter rubbish in between.

I should have known not to cross you on the subject of seats. :)

But I like them particularly in 1st and that's all that matters!

themiller

From my own experience, from new the ICNs are a bit claustrophobic and the centre coaches have a tendency to 'hunt' backwards and forwards from new. I thought that SBB would have cured the problem but, when i was over there last year, the hunting still persists. They're my least favourite Swiss train although I've not travelled in the passenger section of the ETR610s and I find the IC2000 stock a bit cramped. For me, the best are the loco hauled EW IV sets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I should have known not to cross you on the subject of seats. :)

But I like them particularly in 1st and that's all that matters!

They are decent in 1st, yes, though like the IC2000s the 1st seats are really what they should be in 2nd :)]

But then I suppose the Swiss are nearly all skinny and I'm not :)

axlecounter

Wait, are we talking about this?

Gordon

Just back from Switzerland - literally - by car and P&O.

1) Please be good to me and don't try and travel Basel - Zurich on a German train! You are visiting Switzerland! Suggest you take advantage of a clean SBB set. There are Basel- Zurich trains every half hour at least, some via Frick and some via Olten. The Frick route (over the Bözberg line) is prettier though slightly slower but gives you a sighting of the famous castellated Feldschlosschen brewery

Table 700 shows all BSL - ZRH trains:
http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2017/700.pdf

trains shown without a stop are the ones that run via Olten (N - W avoiding line)

2) Spent the last week at Bergun on the Albula line and travelled up and down as well as observing in the area.

If you get the through Bernina Express from Chur, you don't have to reserve if you travel in the Allegra EMU which hauls the train throughout

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Chur - Sankt Moritz and v.v. are all local trains. You can even go via Klosters with almost no extra time loss. There is even a bus at 9.10 and 15.00, but do not know whether it is covered with a trainticket.

axlecounter

That's an EW II, an EW I is similar. I thought I was slating the ICN, though my quoting was a bit off?

Allright, I misunderstood what were you talking about, just a second...

In 2nd they are very spartan and uncomfortable, enough so that they would have you wishing for some ironing boards, not to mention the legroom set up for midgets.

Wait, are you talking about this?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.