• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWML - Landslip between Farnborough and Basingstoke (05/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC

Established Member
Our local news has been putting out closure of Hook station in the down direction because of a landslip - and indeed Hook has mysteriously disappeared from RealtimeTrains for Waterloo to Basingstoke stoppers! I guess that means that the Down Slow is closed between Winchfield and Basingstoke. Anyone know any more about the cause, the impact on other services and how long it might take to fix?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
BBC were reporting Thursday for completion:
A stretch of railway that was blocked by a landslip after heavy rain is expected to remain partially closed until Friday.
The bank collapsed onto the line between Fleet and Basingstoke on Sunday blocking the Basingstoke-bound track.
Network Rail said due to the risk of a further landslide trains are not stopping at Hook station.
South Western Railway said the closure meant some services "may be cancelled, delayed or revised".
Repair work is expected to continue until the end of service on Thursday.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-50301572

fgwrich

Established Member
I passed this in both directions this evening. Where the slip appears to have occurred is upon the high stretch between Hook and Old Basing. I believe it's something NR Have been aware of for a while, with a resulting speed restriction in place until this week when it's been decided (in part thanks to the large amount of rainfall we had last weekend) to fix it. The current working is all up trains stopping as per normal, down services will call at all stations as per usual to Winchfield before switching to the Down Fast to Basingstoke. Rail Replacement Bus in operation between Winchfield - Hook - Basingstoke.

theironroad

Established Member
I passed this in both directions this evening. Where the slip appears to have occurred is upon the high stretch between Hook and Old Basing. I believe it's something NR Have been aware of for a while, with a resulting speed restriction in place until this week when it's been decided (in part thanks to the large amount of rainfall we had last weekend) to fix it. The current working is all up trains stopping as per normal, down services will call at all stations as per usual to Winchfield before switching to the Down Fast to Basingstoke. Rail Replacement Bus in operation between Winchfield - Hook - Basingstoke.

I think the work had begun before the Sunday closure as the 5mph speed restriction had been in place for a while. However, work has certainly ramped up since the weekend.

SouthernUser

Building on fgwrich's post above, this slip HAS been a long, long time coming - the area has plenty of history in this respect - back in 2010 I flagged up the state of the earthwork on the DS just beyond the UB to NR Earthwork colleagues - I had been following up track geometry issues that had occurred at the immediate location on the DS and were clearly not due to any track structure defect or maintenance problems but with the underlying earthwork - at a site meeting I also highlighted the additional buttresses that had been added to the country end UB abutment as evidence of historical problems - the volume of bunny holes & leaning trees were also a bit of a clue - the 2 "wet behind the ears graduates" that attended basically told me I knew nothing about earthworks and it got left at that ------ now NR are having to spend £millions on retro works and the additional embarrassment of being unable to provide service on and entire track of the SWML ---------- not my problem anymore thankfully ---------------- but they get everything they deserve. Just another in a catalogue of maintenance failings on the SW area.
Judging by the state of the track geometry on the US between Hook and Winchfield around the River Whitewater culvert area recently @ 40:30 this section will be the next to go despite the large berm that was installed following the slip that occurred there in 1962. The high embankment here sits on approx. 200m of alluvial plain either side of the river - the DS embankment was reinforced back in 2009.
Chip off shoulder ................................:s

Wychwood93

Building on fgwrich's post above, this slip HAS been a long, long time coming - the area has plenty of history in this respect - back in 2010 I flagged up the state of the earthwork on the DS just beyond the UB to NR Earthwork colleagues - I had been following up track geometry issues that had occurred at the immediate location on the DS and were clearly not due to any track structure defect or maintenance problems but with the underlying earthwork - at a site meeting I also highlighted the additional buttresses that had been added to the country end UB abutment as evidence of historical problems - the volume of bunny holes & leaning trees were also a bit of a clue - the 2 "wet behind the ears graduates" that attended basically told me I knew nothing about earthworks and it got left at that ------ now NR are having to spend £millions on retro works and the additional embarrassment of being unable to provide service on and entire track of the SWML ---------- not my problem anymore thankfully ---------------- but they get everything they deserve. Just another in a catalogue of maintenance failings on the SW area.
Judging by the state of the track geometry on the US between Hook and Winchfield around the River Whitewater culvert area recently @ 40:30 this section will be the next to go despite the large berm that was installed following the slip that occurred there in 1962. The high embankment here sits on approx. 200m of alluvial plain either side of the river - the DS embankment was reinforced back in 2009.
Chip off shoulder ................................:s
It was hoped to get it done by Friday - unless I am mistaken, which I am not, it is now Monday with traksy still showing 'lb' twixt Hook and Basing.

Meerkat

Established Member
They are chucking a hell of a lot of stone in gabions onto the embankment west of Brookwood. Had to build ramps up and down to/from the old Bisley Camp branch line to get access round the abutments of the old branch bridge over the canal.

theironroad

Established Member
The down slow line has now reopened with a speed restriction, but means that hook can be served again on the down line.

Snow1964

Established Member
That area has been problematic for years, the deep cutting near where the M3 crosses has had decades of embankment stabilisation works

This morning a water main burst at Lamberts Road, Surbiton Hill and leaked into the cutting near Ewell Road.
Pointless Trivia, used to be a Railway Pub on corner of these two roads (replaced by new apartments about decade ago)

infobleep

Veteran Member
The down slow line has now reopened with a speed restriction, but means that hook can be served again on the down line.
So will the speed restriction be there for a long time or is it just temporary until they do more works? Will it have much impact on train running?

The 17:23 Waterloo to Basingstoke was cancelled all of last week so it's good to see it reinstated following the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.