• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR cashless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisurefirst

Received email from SWR late afternoon, stating most ticket offices to close but those that stay open accepting card only but also that MACHINES will be card only too...
I understand the former, not so much the latter...
Can they really refuse travel for those without a card, guess they can...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Received email from SWR late afternoon, stating most ticket offices to close but those that stay open accepting card only but also that MACHINES will be card only too...
I understand the former, not so much the latter...
Can they really refuse travel for those without a card, guess they can...

I understand guards are not performing revenue duties anyway, so are they likely to be able to stop anyone?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Quite... fancy getting spat at?
Probably not.

Not just that, but I believe most/all(?) TOCs are now having guards remain in the rear cab throughout and not going into the passenger accommodation whenever possible, so they aren't going to be checking tickets

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cash is an accepted payment method; if no-one is prepared to take the cash then you can still travel.

They could issue an unpaid fares notice (UFN) for the debt to be settled later, in theory.

TEW

Established Member
There are no revenue checks taking place anywhere on SWR on stations or trains, so if you intend to pay cash you won't encounter any issues.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not just that, but I believe most/all(?) TOCs are now having guards remain in the rear cab throughout and not going into the passenger accommodation whenever possible, so they aren't going to be checking tickets

Interestingly I've been told by an informed source that the following brief has been shared at Avanti:

TMs - Whilst maintaining social distance as much as possible, it’s important that you continue to be visible. Please continue your walk throughs as these are important reassurances for our customers. Can you ask people to place tickets on tables for scanning. As previously you aren’t to handle them. If you find a customer without a ticket, you can advise them to buy one online.

I'm also told that Avanti TVMs are still taking cash and gatelines are still, in some places, in operation.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Interestingly I've been told by an informed source that the following brief has been shared at Avanti:

I'm also told that Avanti TVMs are still taking cash and gatelines are still, in some places, in operation.

Interesting, that's different to what I'd heard was happening. I should say that I haven't been on a train to see what's going on in practice, but I assumed that what I'd heard was happening was in response to last night's tightened restrictions

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Cash is an accepted payment method; if no-one is prepared to take the cash then you can still travel.

They could issue an unpaid fares notice (UFN) for the debt to be settled later, in theory.

Though I'd suggest in these circumstances if you can use another means of paying please do, cash has the highest likelihood of infection transfer. Ideally use an e-ticket on your phone if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.