• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

pompeyfan

Established Member
Mod - Please note some posts copied from the 442 withdrawal discussion thread.

442s apparently are permanently withdrawn with 458s being reconfigured to 100mph 4 car units... or that’s what the rumour mill says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It is now officially confirmed 442s will not be brought back into service.

(Cl 458s will be converted back to 4-car and re-geared for 100mph to be based at BM, but that is for another thread.)

theironroad

Established Member
Changes to our fleet: Withdrawal of Class 442

we have taken the hard decision to permanently withdraw our Class 442 trains which haven’t been used since the start of the pandemic in March 2020.

There is positive news too that I am pleased to share with you that sets our fleet strategy and Bournemouth depot’s forward plans in the medium-term; we have extended our lease with Porterbrook for the Class 458s, who will be converting them back to 4-car 100mph units whilst at the same time refurbishing them to make them suitable for our longer-distance journeys. This fleet will be based at Bournemouth depot, going towards protecting the workforce there.

The Class 442 units will be retired from service and go through a process to remove useful spares and dispose of the vehicles. This is obviously an abrupt and unexpected end to the fleet; however, given the reduction in our customer numbers and expected future growth, we do have to take a realistic view of future demand and deliver the most efficient service we can for our customers and the taxpayer.

theironroad

Established Member
458s for the Lymington and other Solent services perhaps?

Well they say refurbished for longer distance use so assuming the refurbishment gives 2+2, (can't recall what they are now) then I'd imagine they'll end up pretty much in 442 diagrams and in use on Pompey direct as well as mainline.

Journeyman

Established Member
I take it the 458s will get 2+2 seating, then. Seems sensible - they need less work than the 442s, are fully PRM compliant and considerably newer.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surely the main reason for reducing 458/5 to 4 car will be to run them as 12 car max length on mainline formations, so I wouldn’t necessarily see “basing” them at Bournemouth to mean they’ll only be working on the Weymouth route. Presume they could just as easily end up with a majority stabling at Fratton for Portsmouths, just like the Bournemouth based 442s would have done...

theironroad

Established Member
Lease extended with Porterbrook for the Class 458s, who will be converting them back to 4-car 100mph units whilst at the same time refurbishing them to make them suitable for longer-distance journeys.

This fleet will be based at Bournemouth depot.

In the original plans 458s were to be be replaced on suburban routes by the new 701s. This still seems to be the plan, but rather than sending the 458s back, it seems they will be adapted for mainline use with the resultant scrapping of the 442s (separate existing thread)

Does seem a bit odd though converting them from 5 car back to 4 car. Could easily be used as 5 or 10 cars on mainline routes similar to 444. Seems added expense.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to see whether the best of the trailer vehicles will be kept or whether all of the 460 trailers will go to the scrap merchants.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The likely reason to convert back to 4 car will be to enable 12 car formations, to make full use of the 12 car mainline side infrastructure?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The likely reason to convert back to 4 car will be to enable 12 car formations, to make full use of the 12 car mainline side infrastructure?
Yes, obviously, but that doesn't mean that the 458 cars are better than the 460 cars if 36 (or more) vehicles are going to the scrapyard.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to see whether the best of the trailer vehicles will be kept or whether all of the 460 trailers will go to the scrap merchants.
Won’t that depend on whether they keep all 36 units in service, including those which are all ex-460 vehicles?

Kieran1990

Lease extended with Porterbrook for the Class 458s, who will be converting them back to 4-car 100mph units whilst at the same time refurbishing them to make them suitable for longer-distance journeys.

This fleet will be based at Bournemouth depot.

In the original plans 458s were to be be replaced on suburban routes by the new 701s. This still seems to be the plan, but rather than sending the 458s back, it seems they will be adapted for mainline use with the resultant scrapping of the 442s (separate existing thread)

Does seem a bit odd though converting them from 5 car back to 4 car. Could easily be used as 5 or 10 cars on mainline routes similar to 444. Seems added expense.

Personally I feel this is the best option. 442’s have cost so much and plagued SWR with issues since they were re-introduced.
Class 458’s being retained Re-fitted for SWML standard is something I look forward to sampling
Ideal for the Pompey direct- the desired 2+2 seating, but can operate at 12 car length & 2/3 doors ideal for busy commuter flows the direct.
I’m just assuming they will be allocated to the direct. To much splitting and joining on the Weymouth and a 458 and 444 won’t work together.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the 350/2 would have been a better option than this, with a longer remaining life following conversion, so presumably Porterbrook still have them earmarked for something else?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think the 350/2 would have been a better option than this, with a longer remaining life following conversion, so presumably Porterbrook still have them earmarked for something else?
Or just didn't want to pay for DC conversion at the current time. I agree though. Creating (up to) 37 extra 450s would make a lot more sense than using the oddball 458s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Suburban 2+2 is wide aisles and no tables, unsuitable for mainline work. Presumably it'll be an upgrade to Class 444 type interior.

It's not wide aisles, though there aren't armrests there is spacing equivalent to armrests:

I agree it probably does make more sense to retain these than the PIGs.

theironroad

Established Member
Bet the 458s will be converted to DCO in the process.......

Yeah, I'd imagine so. At least door controls to allow opening if not already installed. Not sure if the cab layout would allow installation of monitors for door cameras though.