• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Covid-19 timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
As we all know, SWR's strike timetable is in effect now as passenger numbers drop as a result of Covid-19. Most of it is a simple reduction in frequency of services but there are a couple of oddities to the timetable which are sure to inconvenience quite a few people.

Firstly, why is the London - Weymouth service split at Bournemouth? If you have to do this, at least have a bit of common sense and merge the Weymouth portion with the stopping service to Southampton. That way, people from Poole don't have to change trains at Bournemouth.

Secondly, why does the Southampton - Portsmouth stopper terminate at Fratton??? Seems a pretty obscure place to terminate a train unless it's Pompey's matchday, which of course we won't be seeing for some time now.

These are just a couple of queries but feel free to discuss any aspect of the SWR strike (or should I say Coronavirus) timetable here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
The Southampton-Portsmouth services terminate at Fratton so that an hourly service can be run with two rather than three units. Usually they have nearly an hour turnaround time at Portsmouth & Southsea. Instead they have a five minute turnaround at Fratton.

Monty

Established Member
It's probably worth noting this 'strike' timetable is going to be discarded relatively soon, latest Q&A e-mail we got from the company was they are looking to reduce the service to around only 25% (the strike timetable for example was around 56% of the normal service). So if you are key workers who rely on the trains please keep checking the SWR website regularly.

theironroad

Established Member
Totally misleading wording in the title "SWR Strike timetable.

There is no strike on and none in the pipeline . While it may have similarities to the timetable used during the recent strikes it's just another form of emergency timetable just like a severe weather one .

PTR 444

Established Member
Totally misleading wording in the title "SWR Strike timetable.

There is no strike on and none in the pipeline . While it may have similarities to the timetable used during the recent strikes it's just another form of emergency timetable just like a severe weather one .

Just thought using the word “strike” made sense as it is essentially the same timetable, but yes I can understand not making a reference to Covid-19 can make it misleading. I can change the thread title if that helps.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just thought using the word “strike” made sense as it is essentially the same timetable, but yes I can understand not making a reference to Covid-19 can make it misleading. I can change the thread title if that helps.
You might consider also that some of the other TOC’s temporary timetables seem to be being discussed in the normal sub-forum. Not sure which is best...

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's probably worth noting this 'strike' timetable is going to be discarded relatively soon, latest Q&A e-mail we got from the company was they are looking to reduce the service to around only 25% (the strike timetable for example was around 56% of the normal service). So if you are key workers who rely on the trains please keep checking the SWR website regularly.
Is SWR more harder hit in terms of staffing being avilable, than say GTR because GTR seem to be running more services?

Maybe that will change too.

Veteran Member
Is SWR more harder hit in terms of staffing being avilable, than say GTR because GTR seem to be running more services?

Maybe that will change too.
SWR seem not to be making random cancellations ATM.
NR reporting that Waterloo pax levels down by 95%, if that's anywhere correct then the present level is very generous.

theironroad

Established Member
NR reporting that Waterloo pax levels down by 95%, if that's anywhere correct then the present level is very generous.

Most key workers work fixed shifts on a 3 shift rotation (train drivers and guards aside!) So I'd imagine there is definitely scope to remove some mid morning and mid afternoon trains and very late night ones.

The only issue would be a lot of NHS staff are doing more hours than a normal shift so the fixed system sort of goes out the window.

I think as long as the railway can run a decent frequency service it should even if that means 1 person per carriage trains as long as it is not encouraging people to make unnecessary journeys.

TEW

Established Member
That wouldn't surprise me. Some of the Suburban services seem to have deliberately been run with 4-car 455s this week and are cut from Monday.

infobleep

Veteran Member
That wouldn't surprise me. Some of the Suburban services seem to have deliberately been run with 4-car 455s this week and are cut from Monday.
So why have SWR trains been quiet when the tube has been busy? Given out busy SWR is normally, I'd have expected them to be busy at times like the tube has been.

Ian Hardy

So why have SWR trains been quiet when the tube has been busy? Given out busy SWR is normally, I'd have expected them to be busy at times like the tube has been.

Probably because many of the commuters on SWR are in jobs where they can work from home so don't need to travel, whereas a higher proportion of the people using the London Underground probably cannot, e.g. the ones who work for the NHS.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Just reading what @Monty said above about service levels. I take it service levels are still (as of Mid-June) less than 50% of normal timetable?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Most key workers work fixed shifts on a 3 shift rotation (train drivers and guards aside!) So I'd imagine there is definitely scope to remove some mid morning and mid afternoon trains and very late night ones.

The only issue would be a lot of NHS staff are doing more hours than a normal shift so the fixed system sort of goes out the window.

I think as long as the railway can run a decent frequency service it should even if that means 1 person per carriage trains as long as it is not encouraging people to make unnecessary journeys.
If there is genuinely only one passenger per carriage then it's a waste of time. It would be cheaper, and better for the environment, if the key workers had a taxi from their front door.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Just reading what @Monty said above about service levels. I take it service levels are still (as of Mid-June) less than 50% of normal timetable?
Services have increased since then but not sure to which percentage level. Lubes like Guildford to Farnham are more frequent. Portsmouth to London has more morning and evening peak time services. The last fast train to Portsmouth is still 22:45.

Status
Not open for further replies.