• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Delay Repay query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex-JER/LGW

Hi All,

Looking for some advice following a recently rejected Delay Repay from SWR.

On 17th May I purchased via the SWR website an advance ticket for the 21:57 from Clapham Junction to Salisbury to use on Saturday 13th June.

I arrived at Clapham Junction for the train, the service is not cancelled but simply not displayed on the departure board.As a result I boarded the 22:27 ex Clapham Junction arriving Salisbury 23:51.

This morning I submitted a delay repay claim via the website. My claim was based on the fact that the train was cancelled as it was the only option vaguely close. This claim was immediately rejected with the explanation that the train was not running.

Later I have appealed again via the website, changing the option to reason not given. I am applying based upon the 31 minutes delay, should have arrived Salisbury 23:20.This appeal was rejected quickly after with an nonsense explanation that I had not completed my journey by rail and that I should contact the original retailer for a refund. Well this is illogical because I completed the journey on the next available service and the original retailer was SWR so it is back on them.

SWR listed the 21:57 as running when I bought the ticket and this timing is listed on the ticket which I have sent as a photo to SWR.

I feel that they have failed to read details of my appeal and am perplexed that they can sell me a ticket for a service that is not going to run and then refuse Delay Repay.

Do I have grounds for another appeal via email to SWR?

Appreciate any advice / comments.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
This may relate to a temporary timetable issue - this is quite complex if so. I have had this issue with SWR a couple of times - they will in practice base everything on the temporary timetable regardless of whether this has changed since tickets were bought, although some people think this is not allowed.

I therefore won't comment further as more experienced people will come along.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi All,

Looking for some advice following a recently rejected Delay Repay from SWR.

On 17th May I purchased via the SWR website an advance ticket for the 21:57 from Clapham Junction to Salisbury to use on Saturday 13th June.

I arrived at Clapham Junction for the train, the service is not cancelled but simply not displayed on the departure board.As a result I boarded the 22:27 ex Clapham Junction arriving Salisbury 23:51.

This morning I submitted a delay repay claim via the website. My claim was based on the fact that the train was cancelled as it was the only option vaguely close. This claim was immediately rejected with the explanation that the train was not running.

Later I have appealed again via the website, changing the option to reason not given. I am applying based upon the 31 minutes delay, should have arrived Salisbury 23:20.This appeal was rejected quickly after with an nonsense explanation that I had not completed my journey by rail and that I should contact the original retailer for a refund. Well this is illogical because I completed the journey on the next available service and the original retailer was SWR so it is back on them.

SWR listed the 21:57 as running when I bought the ticket and this timing is listed on the ticket which I have sent as a photo to SWR.

I feel that they have failed to read details of my appeal and am perplexed that they can sell me a ticket for a service that is not going to run and then refuse Delay Repay.

Do I have grounds for another appeal via email to SWR?

Appreciate any advice / comments.

Thanks
Would pursuing it via Customer Services (clearly setting out your side of the story and why you believe you should get D-R payment) likley to be more fruitful and dealing with the D-R process who obviously seem unable to understand the situation?

End up with a line like "I therefore believe I am entitled to a payment of £x.xx and would be graceful if you could send me this sum or if you disagree I would be grateful if you could set out clearly why I am not entitled to the payment"

SteveM70

Established Member
Would pursuing it via Customer Services (clearly setting out your side of the story and why you believe you should get D-R payment) likley to be more fruitful and dealing with the D-R process who obviously seem unable to understand the situation?

End up with a line like "I therefore believe I am entitled to a payment of £x.xx and would be graceful if you could send me this sum or if you disagree I would be grateful if you could set out clearly why I am not entitled to the payment"

Whilst I’m sure that many people - not least yourself - would argue Western Lancer was indeed very graceful, I suspect the OP would more likely be grateful;):lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is standard malpractice by SWR and is fully in line with my low expectations of this company.

It is clear cut to me.

You had a contract to arrive at the booked time; any delay is measured against that.

If SWR won't pay out, refer the matter to the Rail Ombudsman: https://www.railombudsman.org/making-a-complaint/start-a-complaint/

Feel free to post any correspondence here for proof reading.

Please let us know the outcome!

Alex-JER/LGW

Thanks for all the useful comments. Emailed an appeal to SWR customer services and to their credit they have responded within 48 hours accepting the appeal and have agreed to send me a cheque for the 30 minutes + delay.

Interestingly I have the exact same return journey booked in a couple of weeks time, so I know to check in advance to see if they cancel my booked train in the days before.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.