• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Depot Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2d2

I'm from outside the industry and have been lucky enough to (finally) get through the assessment centre process for a Trainee Driver Role and understand that interviews are the next step - but there might be a long wait.

I'm within the 45 min range of Waterloo, Wimbledon, Feltham, Staines, Woking (and surrounding area) and have now been told that I have the chance to be interviewed by a depot of my choice (within the driving range) if I wish to change from the one on my original application.

Wondering if anyone has experience of particular depots with a good mix of work - and where there are likely to be vacancies/driver shortages in 2021 - so the waiting list for interviews might be shorter?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver2B

Congratulations on getting through the assessment centre.

Naturally, Waterloo is the largest depot. They have the most trainees and the most DIs. Currently (and for over a year), Waterloo has been seen as a priority where they need to get trainees through. That doesn't mean that there isn't a waiting list for DIs, but you might do better than some other depots. Woking have been notoriously short of DIs, so this might lengthen your training if they haven't mitigated against this. Wimbledon were short of DIs, but I understand that they now have a few new ones (not sure if any/many have quit to counteract the gain, though).

I heard that new trainees recruited to Staines will be transferred to Feltham. I understand that there has been a recruitment of quite a few new DIs at Staines, who will be training Feltham trainees, too. I guess Strawberry Hill is also within your catchment area, but maybe they're not recruiting.

As you will probably be aware, SWR are preparing for their new 701 trains to enter service, and in the early days, these will be mostly based at Feltham. Whichever depot you choose, you'll be mostly driving 701s, with a bit of 450/444. You'll probably not end up driving 458s or 707s, and probably not 455s/456s by that time, either, I guess.

Route-wise, Waterloo and Wimbledon will see a lot of intensive metro work in the early years. Feltham and Staines will see more "Windsor-side" work (services to Windsor, Reading, Weybridge and Housnlow rounders). Woking will probably see a lot of metro but with a bit more fast work than other depots.

Tiredness and fatigue is a huge risk on the railway, and trying to shorten your commute has distinct advantages, too.

Good luck whatever you decide!

a2d2

Congratulations on getting through the assessment centre.

Naturally, Waterloo is the largest depot. They have the most trainees and the most DIs. Currently (and for over a year), Waterloo has been seen as a priority where they need to get trainees through. That doesn't mean that there isn't a waiting list for DIs, but you might do better than some other depots. Woking have been notoriously short of DIs, so this might lengthen your training if they haven't mitigated against this. Wimbledon were short of DIs, but I understand that they now have a few new ones (not sure if any/many have quit to counteract the gain, though).

I heard that new trainees recruited to Staines will be transferred to Feltham. I understand that there has been a recruitment of quite a few new DIs at Staines, who will be training Feltham trainees, too. I guess Strawberry Hill is also within your catchment area, but maybe they're not recruiting.

As you will probably be aware, SWR are preparing for their new 701 trains to enter service, and in the early days, these will be mostly based at Feltham. Whichever depot you choose, you'll be mostly driving 701s, with a bit of 450/444. You'll probably not end up driving 458s or 707s, and probably not 455s/456s by that time, either, I guess.

Route-wise, Waterloo and Wimbledon will see a lot of intensive metro work in the early years. Feltham and Staines will see more "Windsor-side" work (services to Windsor, Reading, Weybridge and Housnlow rounders). Woking will probably see a lot of metro but with a bit more fast work than other depots.

Tiredness and fatigue is a huge risk on the railway, and trying to shorten your commute has distinct advantages, too.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Many thanks - perfect reply - have all the info I need from this - just need to get through the next stage whenever it comes!

jacey

i am also awaiting a dmi with SWR for a couple of depots only been waiting 6 months now :E The damn virus just makes the whole process even slower than usual and even in normal times its slow. none of the depots you mention though.

SRH

Congratulations and well played to the successful new starters and good luck to the guys/girls awaiting interview.

Agree with the advice regarding the commuting time and fatigue.. This are critical factors especially when new..

Do your training. Get ya key, get settled into the job and worry about routes and depots later!!

The key is a precious commodity!!! Make that the focus

Status
Not open for further replies.