• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Guard Assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewLdn

Evening all,

Firstly, I apologise if this has been asked before. I have looked through the forum and I’m still struggling to find a specific answer to my question.

I recently applied for the Guard position at Waterloo and have been invited to attend an assessment day. I understand I will have to undertake assessments in SCAAT, RAAT, CSS, NT2.1 and RVCE.

The recruitment team directed me to the OPC site to practice for these tests. I have found practice packs for SCAAT, RAAT and CSS, however, I’ve been unable to find any preparation material in regards to the last two (NT2.1 and RVCE).

I’m basically looking for advice/guidance from anyone who has sat these assessments and where to find any preparation material, so that I can ensure I am as prepared as I can be on the day.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chumba

If I recall the NT test is maths, basic numeracy and involves some percentages and fractions questions. The RVCE, you listen to a cd of an incident and make notes. Lasts a couple of minutes. Then you prepare a message to be passed based on your notes. Not everything is relevant you need to decide what is relevant and safety critical, then prepare your message (you get a couple of minutes to prepare ) everything is then taken form you and you leave the room. You then return and are given your notes and you have to deliver the message to the assessor.

The numerical you can practice by basic maths, additions subtractions fractions etc. No calculators allowed but paper to work out on. Plenty of similar material on the web. Practice your times tables, practice how to work out percentages . As for the verbal test listen to spoken passages or podcasts about anything so you can practice note taking and then read back to someone else.

MatthewLdn

Hi Chumba, thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ll definitely take on board your advice. The podcast suggestion is a great idea, thanks!

MiNi

Rvce test was the bit of the assessment I found the easiest. Basically you are a driver of a train that has hit a car on level crossing. And you are phoning railway control to report the incident. You listen to it twice & they let you take notes,then you go in one at a time & they ask you to say what you heard.As if you were the driver. They just need the 'bullet' points not the colour & make of the car that you hit. I.e,,,,Train code,position of train,signal number that you are at,any injuries,damage to train & that you have put detonators away from the train. And that you need a rescue engine to two you back to the depot.

MatthewLdn

Rvce test was the bit of the assessment I found the easiest. Basically you are a driver of a train that has hit a car on level crossing. And you are phoning railway control to report the incident. You listen to it twice & they let you take notes,then you go in one at a time & they ask you to say what you heard.As if you were the driver. They just need the 'bullet' points not the colour & make of the car that you hit. I.e,,,,Train code,position of train,signal number that you are at,any injuries,damage to train & that you have put detonators away from the train. And that you need a rescue engine to two you back to the depot.

Thanks for your help guys, I passed my assessment today. Now onto the interview stage. Fingers crossed!

Shellsuit1971

Hi I did the test and didn’t mention I was the controller I said I was the driver ( should have been controller ) think I got all the info in . But is it a fail if I mixed up who I was ( dreaded nerves )
Thanks

MiNi

Hi I did the test and didn’t mention I was the controller I said I was the driver ( should have been controller ) think I got all the info in . But is it a fail if I mixed up who I was ( dreaded nerves )
Thanks
The one we all did in my assessment group were as if we were the driver of the train. They told us at the time that we all passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.