• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR GUARD TRAINING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian

Hello everyone.

I am currently waiting for a medical and training date for a Guard position at SWR. Does anyone have any idea/info on when training will resume, if it hasn’t already?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PickleTree

Hello everyone.

I am currently waiting for a medical and training date for a Guard position at SWR. Does anyone have any idea/info on when training will resume, if it hasn’t already?

Thanks.
Seen on a lot of other SWR threads people saying that they have been told by SWR not to expect much if anything to happen this year as they have a significant backlog of trainees to get through before starting any other new ones.

djack123son

5 courses this year (meant to be 22), supposedly no more due to start 2021. They need to push through some guards IF 701s arrive for May 2022.. but yes, don't expect anything soon.

Guardian

Thanks for the replies guys. I do hope it doesn’t take too long. I’ve been offered a start date with TfL in 4 weeks time, but I’d prefer to start with SWR.

Hi,

Just a heads up to you all. I had a chat with HR earlier this week about when courses would re-commence.

Although there is no classes planned for this year because of the backlog, it doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any toward the end of year. Indeed the person I spoke to hasn't been informed that there would definately be no new classes, just none planned for now

It all depends how quickly they can push everyone, who has completed on line classroom training while on lockdown, through practical training which is essentially 1 on 1 now. With the eventual easing of restrictions it may well lead to more or larger classes at this stage than Pre COVID to get things moving

I dont want to build up any hopes for an earlier start but thought it's worth passing on this info to you.

Lalzo

Due to the guards offer all courses are on hold same for driver courses as courses need to be reworked/ planned for the new "Metro guard". You most likely be looking November unless pax numbers keep rising and guard numbers at depots are looked at going forward.

Due to the guards offer all courses are on hold same for driver courses as courses need to be reworked/ planned for the new "Metro guard". You most likely be looking November unless pax numbers keep rising and guard numbers at depots are looked at going forward.

Further to my last post, I wasn't aware of the guards offer until you mentioned it, and, having researched it I feel somewhat reassured.

Although I'm waiting for a Commercial Guard position rather than a new "Metro Guard" one, I had been thinking that with the unknown effect of COVID on future Pax numbers that I might never get a start date and jobs could possibly be pulled.

However now being aware that Guards hours are being cut from 42 to 37 a week by December 22 fills me with hope. Someone's gotta fill the hours up

Status
Not open for further replies.