• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR: Guards/RMT Industrial Action. Next strike dates: 30/31 August, 1/2 September 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
More to do with traction current index stuff - 12 450 or 10 444 fine to Poole. Beyond that there is not enough juice available to run more than a 5, in general, it is possible...….. but. The dear old PSU, power supply upgrade, never quite made it west of Poole - stuck now in a 1980's time-warp.
That is dealt with in the normal timetable by splitting those 10 car Weymouth trains that normally run from Waterloo at Bournemouth, and joining to another unit on the way back up. That could just as easily be done with the hourly strike timetable, so it can’t be the real explanation for running independent services east and west of Bournemouth during the strike timetable. I’m sticking with it being a sensible precaution against effects of disruption, just like they do in severe weather conditions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
The dispute is really about the RMT losing it’s industrial relations leverage. Any concerns about the current and future guards competence level could be resolved by accepting that 701s have driver operated doors with guards on board, but requiring that no matter where they work a guard must also have to work on 450/444/159/442 stock in their roster as well as 701s. This preserves all their skills and competency levels, industrial relations bargaining power and guarantees the grade isn’t split for the future.
Apart from Salisbury (who only sign 158s/159s) 444s/450s are core traction for all depots, so the skills and competencies will be maintained.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Details for Saturday are now on the website. Main change is no service between Ascot and Reading, with replacement bus between Ascot and Wokingham only. Those going to the rugby who would normally change at Reading are being advised to travel via Paddington and Waterloo.

Waterloo to Hounslow via Twickenham running 7tph before the match and 5tph Twickenham to Waterloo after the match.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Details for Saturday are now on the website. Main change is no service between Ascot and Reading, with replacement bus between Ascot and Wokingham only. Those going to the rugby who would normally change at Reading are being advised to travel via Paddington and Waterloo.

Waterloo to Hounslow via Twickenham running 7tph before the match and 5tph Twickenham to Waterloo after the match.

Nice bit of extra income forcing those who would have changed at Reading for a SWR service to Twickenham to go via London.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The website states that ticket acceptance will be in place.

The website mentions GWR will accept tickets, but not TFL.

But how many folk will be caught out and buy the "via London" tickets rather than the "not via London" when journey planners are updated?

Goldfish62

Established Member
The website mentions GWR will accept tickets, but not TFL.

But how many folk will be caught out and buy the "via London" tickets rather than the "not via London" when journey planners are updated?
I would expect TfL acceptance to be put in place. If not then obviously the revenue goes to TfL, not SWR.

Antman

Established Member
This weekend - I am trying to use the RAT on the Watercress Line. It looks like we'll be able to get a train down to Alton (Woking-Alton shuttle), but then it looks like a later evening bus service between Farnborough and Alton - without seeming too stupid, presumably there's a timetable for that somewhere (any pointers please) , and does it have some semblance of running with the timetable (there's usually 100+ people trying to get from the RAT back to London (or at least out of Alton) via SWR. And even more trying not to look as thick as I really am - the SWR website indicates a service from Farnborough TO Alton, but no mention of it being a shuttle, i.e. a return journey.... does anyone know whether it actually does run the return as well ?

theironroad

Established Member
Day before Rememberance Sunday?

I'd imagine that this is the reason, because there are events related to this in London on the Saturday and also a lot of vets go the day before to attend the ceremony in whitehall on Sunday.

Not sure why they didn't spot it before hand.

Domeyhead

This weekend - I am trying to use the RAT on the Watercress Line. It looks like we'll be able to get a train down to Alton (Woking-Alton shuttle), but then it looks like a later evening bus service between Farnborough and Alton - without seeming too stupid, presumably there's a timetable for that somewhere (any pointers please) , and does it have some semblance of running with the timetable (there's usually 100+ people trying to get from the RAT back to London (or at least out of Alton) via SWR. And even more trying not to look as thick as I really am - the SWR website indicates a service from Farnborough TO Alton, but no mention of it being a shuttle, i.e. a return journey.... does anyone know whether it actually does run the return as well ?
Don't know the answer myself but if you post the same question on the Watercress Line's Facebook Page and on the National Preservation web page for "Mid Hants Railway Operational Matters" you should get sympathetic advice.

Goldfish62

Established Member
A half hourly service to Reading has now been reinstated on Saturday although, bizarrely, the bus replacement between Ascot and Wokingham will still run.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
A half hourly service to Reading has now been reinstated on Saturday although, bizarrely, the bus replacement between Ascot and Wokingham will still run.

I was just checking the website for Sunningdale to Waterloo trains, it seems the strike timetable for that line is not issued yet, although when I did a normal availability check, it does seem there will be 2 trains an hour from that Station too. I don't know how reliable that is though, as it shows a normal service from Shepperton and as far as I know, Shepperton will not have any service. !

Goldfish62

Established Member
I was just checking the website for Sunningdale to Waterloo trains, it seems the strike timetable for that line is not issued yet, although when I did a normal availability check, it does seem there will be 2 trains an hour from that Station too. I don't know how reliable that is though, as it shows a normal service from Shepperton and as far as I know, Shepperton will not have any service. !
The SWR website states that trains are running to and from Reading.

zoneking

There is a dire service tomorrow (Saturday 3rd November) at Epsom and Dorking. There is engineering work between Sutton and Epsom, and the strike by SWR meaning all SWR services south of Epsom are cancelled, and there is only one train every half hour between Epsom and London (any London terminal). There is only one train per hour between Epsom and Dorking (Southern). Very poor.

Last edited:

kristiang85

Established Member
I somehow managed to not only be away for the whole of last week's strike, but also I'm away every weekend strike in November too. Thank Heavens!

If they continue this lark into December's weekends though, I'll not be amused.

Monty

Established Member
'lark' isn't a word I would use to describe it, whatever anyones opinion is of this dispute it is not exactly a barrel of laughs for us.

kristiang85

Established Member
'lark' isn't a word I would use to describe it, whatever anyones opinion is of this dispute it is not exactly a barrel of laughs for us.

Its not a barrel of laughs for anybody. It seems to be a complete waste of time as clearly SWR aren't budging, the government aren't budging, and the union aren't budging, and the passengers are just grimly bearing it.

From an objective standpoint, there is dark comedy in that.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
The RMT was never going to budge once they'd tried to suggest this is all about safety/who closes doors etc. In that sense there's little real difference in the union attitude to SWR or Arriva Rail North. In neither case do I see any real progress in, say, 6-12 months.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Probably because the ITT specifically referred to the dwell time problems on inner suburban routes and at high churn stations such as Clapham Junction, and the vast majority of the affected services are operated by 455, 456, 458.
Well I see delays on the fast line services in the evening too. I know there are reasons for this but it's still the case, whatever the reasons. Not all the stock is 450 though. Some of it is 159 I think it is (or is it 158?).

I'm not disagreeing with your point though. Just adding further thoughts.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm not talking about anomalies such as that. Either way, it's not as if it's running for anything more than 20-30minutes without a station stop so it honestly doesn't matter.

They didn't replace the 450s because as already said they don't usually operate the services in question with the real focus being the trains calling at vauxhall, Clapham, Earlsfield and wimbledon then sharing tracks as far as raynes park. Dwell times on this route needs to be as short as possible because there are so many services using the line. Same can be said for services between Waterloo and Twickenham.

They only trains to operate DOO will their suburban services so if you think Cobham shouldn't be considered suburban, how are you now trying to mention services down to haslemere and Basingstoke.
What I was thinking was that if Cobham is suburban, why not stations to Haslemere. If they are not then why is Cobham?

Edit: I do exactly know why. It's because Cobham is on a line that runs like a surbuban service north of Surbtion.

I personally think places like Cobham could support first class passengers were it not running as a surbuban service.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Hardly a strike matter really. But obviously members voted for it ....
I think it is as I Thu J it is safer with two members of staff in board at all times.

I appricate there are services elsewhere without this but I'd change that too if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.