• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Longest Strike - December 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlisle

Established Member
..and in may places DOO mirrors were installed, but the method of operation never enacted.

Rules, regs, passenger numbers and technology have all moved on.....
I’d be surprised if the lightning wasn’t still adequate for modern stock using body side cameras, however newer fittings will probably be far more energy efficient

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
several confused passengers on twitter claiming to be on the 1735 which was a ‘red metro train with Windsor ER’ on the display.

It happened. Running ecs back from Southampton as 5Z52 to Wimbledon Park depot...

I would love to have been on the train. As a one off mind. I wonder how busy it was and at which point more people could sit than stand.

Did it dwell less at stations due to faster boarding times I wonder.

Waterloo guards managers and inspectors, as well as top link Waterloo and Wimbledon drivers are pretty much go anywhere.

I hadn't realised this. I take it they sign all the different rolling stock or at least most of it?

pompeyfan

Established Member
I believe they have a full spread of competency but I could be wrong.

going back to the lighting comment, when Southern were planning on going DOO, all stations Havant - Southampton received new LED lighting, however on the core SWR network I’d imagine there’s some work to do.

Three-Nine

Apparently for operational reasons amended strike timetables may still be in force on the 2nd January 2020 and possibly the 3rd as well - I cannot confirm this as so far I've only seen one SWR source for this. Engineering work will also affect some SWR services on the 4th and 5th January.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Correct that the full timetable won’t be implemented until Monday the 6th, but with the amount of drivers sat spare, it’s nothing to do with stock being in the wrong place.

I believe the issue actually lays with guards who’s competency ran out in December. They can’t work trains again until they’re assessed.

just going back again to what @theironroad said, for years the company and their friends in the media have been telling people this dispute does not affect guards on mainline services. What happens when they want to try the same trick as yesterday? Will mainline guards be trained how to work 701s as an OBS?

Goldfish62

Established Member
just going back again to what @theironroad said, for years the company and their friends in the media have been telling people this dispute does not affect guards on mainline services. What happens when they want to try the same trick as yesterday? Will mainline guards be trained how to work 701s as an OBS?
Which has happened once in the two years the trains have been in service...

What happens with other TOCs, eg Southern and SE that have a mix of DOO stock and DOO routes and where stock operates on routes where the guard does the doors? The Coastway route and the Kent coast spring to mind.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Which has happened once in the two years the trains have been in service...

What happens with other TOCs, eg Southern and SE that have a mix of DOO stock and DOO routes and where stock operates on routes where the guard does the doors? The Coastway route and the Kent coast spring to mind.

they’ve also done mainline runs to Basingstoke too, but granted it’s not regular. I believe if a 377 steps in for a 313, the conductors are trained in what to do, slightly different though as Barnham and Brighton are the only depots to sign 313s and it’s a regular occurrence with lots of DOO in the area. A more accurate example would be if GWR wanted to use their IETs off beaten track, or SE wanted to use their 395s on other routes.

On Moderation
Correct that the full timetable won’t be implemented until Monday the 6th, but with the amount of drivers sat spare, it’s nothing to do with stock being in the wrong place.

I believe the issue actually lays with guards who’s competency ran out in December. They can’t work trains again until they’re assessed.

If their competency has run out because they were on strike when they should have been re-assessed then until that assessment takes place they should be treated as still being on strike and not be paid.

Goldfish62

Established Member
they’ve also done mainline runs to Basingstoke too, but granted it’s not regular. I believe if a 377 steps in for a 313, the conductors are trained in what to do, slightly different though as Barnham and Brighton are the only depots to sign 313s and it’s a regular occurrence with lots of DOO in the area. A more accurate example would be if GWR wanted to use their IETs off beaten track, or SE wanted to use their 395s on other routes.
Yes, good points. I suppose the closest example, albeit regular operation, was when IETs replaced HSTs on Oxford services. The fact that these were DOO apparently caught the RMT by surprise. There were lots of noises and threats of action, but then it all went quiet.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
If their competency has run out because they were on strike when they should have been re-assessed then until that assessment takes place they should be treated as still being on strike and not be paid.

I believe that is what is happening.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It might be victimisation, esp if the strikers are de-prioritised over other members of staff
Why? If the company was unable to carry out a safety related requirement in a timely manner to enable the member of staff to carry out their responsibilities post 31/12 due to that person being on strike, then that person has made it impossible for them to be rostered in the new year.

If typically there is an even spread of competency assessments throughout the year then the company will now have to do twice as many in January. So how does it prioritise? I would imagine it would do it in a way that minimises disruption rather than to victimise anyone, but if that prioritisation leaves some people without work for longer then they only have themselves to blame.

Carlisle

Established Member
going back to the lighting comment, when Southern were planning on going DOO, all stations Havant - Southampton received new LED lighting, however on the core SWR network I’d imagine there’s some work to do.
Yes that makes sense as Havant -Southampton station lighting wont likley have been DOO standard whereas the SWR suburban network’s lighting was all replaced pending DOO s introduction by BR around 1990 & then SWT reconditioned the equipment & tried again in 1998, so perhaps there’s less work needed provided as others have said,standards haven’t changed too significantly

Last edited:

OneOffDave

If typically there is an even spread of competency assessments throughout the year then the company will now have to do twice as many in January. So how does it prioritise? I would imagine it would do it in a way that minimises disruption rather than to victimise anyone, but if that prioritisation leaves some people without work for longer then they only have themselves to blame.

If they chose to prioritise those who didn't strike over those who did and as a result those who did lost pay then that would be unlawful unless the formula for prioritisation was unchanged from before the strike action

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes that makes sense as Havant -Southampton station lighting wont likley have been DOO standard whereas the SWR suburban network’s lighting was all replaced pending DOO s introduction by BR around 1990 & then SWT reconditioned the equipment & tried again in 1998, so perhaps there’s less work needed provided as others have said,standards haven’t changed too significantly
I watched the lighting being changed on the Netley line. It was almost all just done by replacing the luminaire with a plug and play modification kit, all the columns remained. It seemed a couple of blokes with a van spent a day or two at each station.

However I also remember an SWT insider (who no longer posts here) insisting that SN wouldn’t be allowed to go DOO west of Havant, because SWT wouldn’t ever agree to it.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Again can we have all discussions about future risks and DOO in a separate thread please? This is the second time I'm asking. I don't really want to delete large number of posts but I may have to if no one listens. Thank you.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
On that note, here is said 707 sitting pretty yesterday at Waterloo in an unusual location. Don't say I don't spoil you people.

Attachments

• IMG_20191219_123733.jpg
    IMG_20191219_123733.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 143

Brissle Girl

Established Member
If they chose to prioritise those who didn't strike over those who did and as a result those who did lost pay then that would be unlawful unless the formula for prioritisation was unchanged from before the strike action
I suppose it could be said that there didn't need to be a formula for dealing with a backlog until the strike, as it was the strike that brought about the backlog. And anyone who wasn't on strike would have presumably been able to have their competency assessed in a timely manner, so wouldn't be in the position of having lost competency.

But again, I would imagine that SWR's priority will be to minimise disruption in early January, rather than victimise strikers. Let's hope (coming back to the thread topic) that disruption is indeed minimised and services get back to normal quickly.

Dougal2345

Quite a few trains marooned in Dorset then?
A nightmare getting home yesterday (strike and broken rail at Sway), nightmare today (strike and flooding at Sway)... I'm costing Network Rail a fortune in taxi fares and Delay Repay :smile:

Actually weren't the regular Sway flooding issues supposed to have been sorted out once and for all a few years ago? Maybe someone forgot to sweep the leaves out of the drains...

daveshah

Actually weren't the regular Sway flooding issues supposed to have been sorted out once and for all a few years ago? Maybe someone forgot to sweep the leaves out of the drains...

To be fair, it has been very wet here the last few days and some of the soil round here is pretty poorly draining - hence the rather special New Forest bogs etc

pompeyfan

Established Member
Tonight’s speciality is an 8 car 455 running in the path of the 1830 from Waterloo calling at Woking then all stations to Haslemere.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Why weren't they assessed before December? I appreciate maybe it wasn't possible.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Tonight’s speciality is an 8 car 455 running in the path of the 1830 from Waterloo calling at Woking then all stations to Haslemere.
I'd love to have been on that. I have done a non stop Guildford to Surbiton via Cobham before on one of those. It was I think 10 car though. It was nice to go at some speed for a change. It was rather empty.

The train I was hoping to catch from Woking instead of tonights 455, started short at Guildford. So rather than wait 30 minutes at Surbiton, for another train to Guildford, I decided to do some shopping in central London and return later.

theironroad

Established Member
A nightmare getting home yesterday (strike and broken rail at Sway), nightmare today (strike and flooding at Sway)... I'm costing Network Rail a fortune in taxi fares and Delay Repay :smile:

Tbf, the pumps that were installed have worked pretty well and it's been a number of years since the sway flooding has proved troublesome.

Maybe not leaves, but seems drains are definitely part of the issue today.

Status
Not open for further replies.