• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Re the plug sockets they are installing would it not make sense for the TOCs to install this type. Who wants to carry around a plug with them most of it is going this way now.
Because after a few times of people plugging the USB port in wrong, those things break. It's impossible to put a 3 pin plug in the wrong way unless it's intentional.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
Maybe they don't want to spruce up First Class on the 158/159 units because it would be even more of a contrast when they replace the comfortable 2+1 table seating with 2+2! Plus cut some First Class out as the 159/1 units are due to drop to just sixteen First Class seats from 24 (the 159/0s go back to 24 from 23 albeit with the smaller seats).

Goldfish62

Established Member
Maybe they don't want to spruce up First Class on the 158/159 units because it would be even more of a contrast when they replace the comfortable 2+1 table seating with 2+2! Plus cut some First Class out as the 159/1 units are due to drop to just sixteen First Class seats from 24 (the 159/0s go back to 24 from 23 albeit with the smaller seats).
I think it's a valid point. Why refurbish an interior when it's going to be refurbished again within the next couple of years? Not dissimilar to SWT not touching the then-former class area in the 458/5s.

nlogax

Established Member
Because after a few times of people plugging the USB port in wrong, those things break. It's impossible to put a 3 pin plug in the wrong way unless it's intentional.

I'd quite like to see USB-C sockets on trains at some point. Decent power when done right and no fear of mangling ports or incorrectly plugging things in either. Sadly we're still in wall wart and USB-B territory while phone and laptop manufacturers continue to hold back against full adoption of USB-C.

K.o.R

I'd quite like to see USB-C sockets on trains at some point. Decent power when done right and no fear of mangling ports or incorrectly plugging things in either. Sadly we're still in wall wart and USB-B territory while phone and laptop manufacturers continue to hold back against full adoption of USB-C.

The socket on the "host" device, in this case the power adapter, is a USB-A type.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I drove it this morning to London. First full 9 car ive seen and driven in passenger service. Notice the different colours on 005? The plain white paint rather than the silver vinyls as seen on the other 2 units? The passenger interior is better (refurbed) shame 1st class, and lack of "power points" at every seat like they promised. GW managed it on their 158s by using LEDs for their saloon lighting.
I think the full refurbishment is yet to come. What's happening currently appears to be just a continuation of the refresh that SWT started, using SWR colours instead of SWT.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I've just used the plug socket in a 450 to charge my phone. Very rapid it was too.

janahan

I do like the idea, however, they will still limit the output of the USB-C to at most 2A (most probably 1A). Otherwise the overall current to power more than one socket would become problematic with regard to guages. Remember, the cable "guage" is related to current, not . so having 6 2A USB sockets would require a wire capable of 12A max (close to the 13A required for an electric heater/kettle).

So unless there is a transformer on every socket pair, and a higher voltage line used as the common power, they woudl need to limit the current draw somewhat. Plus there is the health and safety aspect with regards to people pluggin silly things they can overload circuits and wires, hence why most public USB ports are restricted in power.

Unlikely you are going to soon be able to charge your laptop on a public USC-C port, hence the requirement for standard 240v sockets.

The socket on the "host" device, in this case the power adapter, is a USB-A type.
USB-C allows both the host and device to be USB-C connectors. The USB-A plug is no longer needed for the host (though is still used a lot due to legacy)

K.o.R

I kind of want them to repaint the grab rails in the light yellow rather than orange, as it looks a little odd at the moment.

Regarding USB sockets directly on the wall, don't they usually have a transformer behind them anyway? Transformers are cheap; thick wire to run a dozen USB sockets from one mains socket is not.

Has USB-C removed the host-device mechanic then (so more like FireWire)?

TEW

Established Member
450020 and 450085 both now have refurbished interiors.

59CosG95

Established Member
444019 (the unit involved in the Bournemouth Sideswipe) is having its damaged driving motor coach repaired; Allely's are taking it from Wimbledon to Kilmarnock by road, while the other 4 coaches will remain at Wimbledon.
I'd hazard a guess that this will be one of the last 444s to go through refurb.

pompeyfan

Established Member
444019 (the unit involved in the Bournemouth Sideswipe) is having its damaged driving motor coach repaired; Allely's are taking it from Wimbledon to Kilmarnock by road, while the other 4 coaches will remain at Wimbledon.
I'd hazard a guess that this will be one of the last 444s to go through refurb.

Surely it would make sense to make it the first to go through refurb?

TEW

Established Member
Well, that dubious honour's fallen to 444040, which has spent the best part of the year in Northam (or is it Eastleigh? I can never remember) undergoing this refurb. It has yet to emerge.
Eastleigh. It is the part refurbishment of the 450s being done at Northam.

TEW

Established Member
I also caught that one today, and yes, it does have SWR stickers now.

spark001uk

Established Member
450013 and 450073 both internally refurbished, and they're currently running around as a pair.

Socket boxes installed but still blanked off.

387star

On Moderation
Is there a 450 and 444 being worked on ?

Must be photos somewhere

First class relocated and a guards office converted can't be causing this much delay surely

I hear 2020 the revised refurbishment completion date

dorsetdesiro

Yeah, if the whole fleet get completed by then, then 4 years later for the next franchise but if First-MTR (if it is still First or whichever company by then) lose out, then a new SWR livery could be decided by the new operator then the whole fleet would have to be changed all over again!

On Moderation
Is there a 450 and 444 being worked on ?

Must be photos somewhere

First class relocated and a guards office converted can't be causing this much delay surely

Which is a franchise breach.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Which clause of the contract would be breached exactly?
If you look at the franchise agreement you'll see that the 444s and 450s must all be refurbished by the end of next March. As for exactly which clause number, perhaps look it up?

spark001uk

Established Member
If you look at the franchise agreement you'll see that the 444s and 450s must all be refurbished by the end of next March. As for exactly which clause number, perhaps look it up?
That's all I wanted to know, thanks.

On Moderation
Which clause of the contract would be breached exactly?
The committed obligations, which includes the following wording:

The Franchisee shall:
(a) use all reasonable endeavours to modify and refresh all Class 444 and Class 450 rolling stock vehicles comprised in the Train Fleet by no later than 31 December 2018, provided that the Franchisee shall not be in breach of the Franchise Agreement if it has not done so by such date if it has used all reasonable endeavours to do so. Under such circumstances the Franchisee shall continue to use all reasonable endeavours to comply with such obligation as soon as reasonably practicable and in any event shall modify and refresh all Class 444 and Class 450 rolling stock vehicles comprised in the Train Fleet by no later than 31 March 2019

Section 33 of the Committed Obligations, Page 345 of this: https://assets.publishing.service.g...rn-railways-2017-rail-franchise-agreement.pdf